Got diagnosed today ! Yikes !

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by smith
    on

Hi all – well finally got diagnosed with Diabetestoday ! Marvellous timing ! So day one is today – was planning to do this any way but I might as well get stuck straight in have read the book ! Worked out the next 4 days menu – got to think about Christmas Day ! Have done this before lasted 5 weeks ! So…. who else is out there starting today ? Would be great to not feel quite so alone !

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome to the forum Smith. Don’t worry about being alone on the BSD and the forum, there is always someone happy to respond to questions, queries, to empathise, encourage and support, to commiserate and celebrate.

Well done you on deciding just to get on with it and not procrastinate until after Christmas. Having done it before, you know what’s involved and you have a pressing reason to push ahead and stick it out this time round. Join in on any of the threads that feel relevant and I would recommend joining in the 4 week challenge threads. These are populated by folks like you, but tackling the task in 4 week chunks instead of eight, which has the advantage of feeling less daunting.

Christmas day needn’t be a problem, just remove as much of the carb heavy stuff as possible, but enjoy the rest of it. You can still have the turkey, pigs in blankets, green veggies, some unthickened gravy and you could even have a little Oppo ice cream for dessert – 75 cals per 100g and 6.6g carbs.

Best of luck to you on your quest and be sure to keep posting and shout if you need some support, someone will respond for sure. Have a lovely festive season.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Smith I have just read your profile and just wanted to say a few words. You will never be alone here.

I just wanted to give you a little of my history to maybe ease your mind. I had my first hip ‘resurfacing’ when I was 52. It was wonderful and gave me back my life. Unfortunately I had problems just over 6 years later and contracted sepsis, had my hip removed and spent a good while in a wheelchair. However, I did get a new hip and all was as well as it could be. Just over three months ago I had my other hip replaced and it has been a wonder. I think one of the problems is that you get so used to the pain you forget what ‘normal’ pain free feels like ….. believe me it feels good!

You have a great goal to aim for. There are so many posters here who will help and support you every step of the way …. good times, difficult times, those days when you just want to throw in the towel and the good days when you just want to share a a loss or other success.

You will never be alone here. Enjoy your journey.

• posted by smith
    on

😀 thank you for replying- I have been prediabetic for a while 4.2 ish- now it has jumped right up 6.8 ! Scary stuff !
    So very grateful for your response feel I am going to need the support over this Christmas period ! Looking forward to it tbh hopefully the constant tiredness will begin to subside ! A lot of weight to shift ! Like the 4 week bites idea !
    Again thank you x

• posted by smith
    on

Hi verano – thank you for that – I am 53 and need a thr too – so get this weight off and getting my life back would be great !! And yes you are right we do live with levels of pain most don’t and sadly adapt to it !
    I appreciate your support I am going to need it !!
    All advice readily taken on board !!! X
    You will be hearing from me again there is no doubt about that lol !!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

The fatigue is a symptom of what is colloquially known as carb flu which is your body stumbling around looking for a new source of energy since you’re no longer feeding it the equivalent of baby food (ie, carbs). Once it figures out you have fat stores for that very purpose, you’ll have energy to burn. The duration varies with the person, but I think most people experience it for no more than a week or so.

You’re so not alone, smith. We’ve all got your back and between the lot of us we’ve lost literal tons of weight and eliminated or improvement a vast number of ailments, including diabetes. It’s great that you were monitoring it closely and are ready to drop the hammer immediately upon diagnosis. You’re so motivated to nip this in the bud, and Verano is a stellar example of BSDers who have been able to chase their diabetes into remission by diet alone, so it can certainly be accomplished. Rock on!

• posted by smith
    on

Hi thank you again so encouraging
    – I am toying with the idea of not starting the metformin until next week – hear the side effects of nausea, sickness etc are quite common and we are travelling away staying a hotel for a few days – so will have to go hard on this to bring the sugars down !!
    I have been looking around on the other forums you all have an abundance of experience to bring to the table that I will tapping into – thank you feel a lot less desparate than I did a few hours ago !!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Smith before you take metformin ask your GP for three months to change your diet and try and control your diabetes that way. Metformin only reduces blood sugar by 10-15% you can do way better than that with Diet alone …. this way of eating will do the trick!

• posted by Scozzese
    on

I agree with Vernon, try to avoid taking Metformin. You can sort this without drugs, just follow the BSD. Good luck.

• posted by smith
    on

Hi Vernon yes I agree with you an going to avoid starting the metformin see if I can get HbA1c done I march !!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Go with this way of eating and you will heal yourself. Enjoy your journey!

Please log in or register to post a reply.