Getting the right macro and nutrition balance

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Shy
    on

Hi,

I’m just starting out on this diet and have not noticed any real drop in weight. I have Bran Flakes for breakfast before going to gym and then a small carton of coconut water with protein, and maybe a banana if I feel light headed. Lunch is usually a boiled egg with cherry tomatoes and spinach. Dinner consists of vegetables, chicken, egg, cheese and maybe peanuts.

I think the reason I’m not noticing any difference in weight loss (high visceral and Subcutaneous belly fat) is due to an imbalance of macros and portion size.

My target is to lose 7kg in 8 weeks without compromising on exercise (polar heart rate tracking indicates 900Kcal Calories burnt per session) but I’m struggling to find the right balance of nutrition, macro, portion size and exercise so I don’t feel hungry and light headed after training.

Any advise on what I should target for macro and nutrition percentages so I can still maintain this level of exercise and not feel lightheaded, and lose weight ofcourse.

• posted by FatBloke
    on

I am just starting out so no expert but I do know that Bran Flakes have a load of sugar in them.

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hi Shy,

Yup, Fatbloke is right, Bran Flakes are quite carby. Bananas too. And while nuts are good fats, watch out for the calories. Another really helpful poster on these threads – Igorasusual – has recommended this calculator to figure out your macros: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ I hope it helps!

• posted by Shy
    on

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I used the calculator ( http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ ) to target a 40%,40%,20% (carbs, protein, fats)split, but the fats came out very low (80g, 80g, 18g) with a warning! Is this ratio incorrect for this diet?

To move the fats consumption into the healthy range (49g) and setting 60g for Protein, the Carbs value goes to 30g (15%, 30%, 55%).

I compared this to the last three days, using myfitnesspal, and these are numbers extrapolated:

Day – kcal (Carbs, Protein, Fats) – Exercise kcal
    Day 1 – 840(74g, 64g, 21g) – 1098kcal
    Day 2 – 1,375(139g, 65g, 56g) – 918kcal (I felt light-headed for most of the day)
    Day 3 – 840 (66g, 80g, 28g) – no exercise
    Day 4 – today

Apart from noticing that I cannot stick to 800kcal!, is my ratio of carbs to protein and fats incorrect? What should I be targeting to not feel light-headed after doing exercise?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi there!

Most people here try to keep carbs at 50g per day or under.

Try putting that in the site. It will recommend the protein necessary to maintain muscles (I always use the recommended middle figure as not very active or very inactive) then add calories (it may say too low, if so ignore) and it will calculate the fat.

I think the fat will come out c 60% roughly with protein not daw behind

If you search for my posts you will find some recent replies on something called – I think – fat content or similar.

Hope that helps ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Protein not FAR behind. ***** predictive text ๐Ÿ™

• posted by Shy
    on

Hi Igorasusual,

I changed the values as suggested, and the fat % is still coming out to be very low. Details below (based on carbs 50g, and using the recommended value for Protein):

800 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    50 g Carbs (25%, 200 kcal)
    108 g Protein (54%, 432 kcal)
    19 g Fat (21%, 168 kcal)

I’ll scan your posts to get a better insight in fat and carb ratios.

Thanks

• posted by Shy
    on

I forgot to add, I’m going to stick to this ratio for the next few days and see if my energy levels remain high whilst exercising:

800 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    25 g Carbs (13%, 100 kcal)
    90 g Protein (45%, 360 kcal)
    38 g Fat (42%, 340 kcal)

• posted by Shy
    on

My stats – updated

Day 0 weight – 83 kg
    Day 5 weight – 82.2 kg
    Total weight loss – 0.8kg

Breakdown of food consumption and whether I exercised.
    Day โ€“ kcal (Carbs, Protein, Fats) โ€“ Exercise

Day 0 (no stats) – exercised
    Day 1 โ€“ 840 (74g, 64g, 21g) โ€“ exercised
    Day 2 โ€“ 1,375 (139g, 65g, 56g) โ€“ exercised
    Day 3 โ€“ 840 (66g, 80g, 28g) โ€“ no exercise
    Day 4 โ€“ 869 (116, 65, 25) – no exercise
    Day 5: today

Please log in or register to post a reply.