Future Learn

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

There’s a new Future Learn course ‘Food as Medicine’ starting next Monday March 13th.

From the course introduction they have sent it looks as though it may be quite interesting. It discusses,, amongst other things, chocolate, green tea, garlic, curcumin and ginger. Looks as though it may be good.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Im busy doing a Teaching English as a Foreign Language at the moment but will make a note of it as you can join any time. Thanks V.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunshine-girl that’s really good. Hope you’re enjoying it. Are you planning to teach when you’ve finished the course?

on

Hi V, I have dipped my toe into teaching French to beginners here but found my methods were either not great or they expected too much and just wanted to ‘speak’ French and not learn any grammar. Very difficult to speak a language if you dont know any words or how to string them together. Then I thought if I ever go back to UK and want to earn some money I might teach English to foreigners. It is advisable to have the TEFL (or similar) qualification to be accepted in schools or colleges so this is a taster for me. Then a friend told me that the local primary school always needs people to teach the little ones some English so I might look into doing that at the start of the new term in Autumn. Also, maybe advertise to see if any French adults want to learn English. It is just a thought and something to do. I never stop learning, I would shrivel up if I did.

• posted by Verano
    on

I’m with you on the shrivelling up!! Sounds like a really good idea to have such a flexible ‘hobby’ that can also be a source of income. A friend of mine who went to Italy, not speaking a word of the language and living in a village with it’s own dialect, also did a TEFL course and now teaches in a primary school and also privately. It’s a great asset to have.

I’ve found it difficult to get back to my ‘courses’ since I took an enforced break when I was ill. I did part 1 of my Spanish 1 futurelearn course yesterday. We are already up to part 2 of Spanish 2 so I’m way behind!! So it’s back to Duolingo to get me back into the swing! Are you still doing the Portuguese?

on

No V I did Portuguese last year for holiday, this year I am doing Spanish as it is quite different from P. It is slow going on Duolingo and it teaches things I dont need but at least I can say yo no come pescado, I dont eat fish. Of course, I am still doing French.

• posted by Verano
    on

Yes I remember now. I quite like the Duolingo Spanish it’s certainly repetitive!!! I’m refreshing a OU Spanish course I did about 11 years ago, I didn’t realise just how much I’d forgotten! I do find the Duolingo is helping me get back into the slightly more academic fururelearn course. I suppose at the end of the day it’s all down to practice and that’s so much easier when you are with native speakers. Unfortunately I only get the chance about four times a year … why am I complaining!!!

• posted by Verano
    on

New course ….. Body weight: How our brain, behaviour & genetics influence appetite & food choices.

Starts 17th April, 3 weeks , 2hrs a week. May be of interested to some. FutureLearn.com

• posted by Verano
    on

Just wanted to flag up a new 3 week course starting today
    “Covd-19” from The London School of Tropical Medicine, drawing on worldwide sources.
    Hopefully this really will sort fact from fiction.
    Lots of other free courses as well if you need to fill in some time!

Please log in or register to post a reply.