Fruit dilemma

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sugar sugar
    on

I read that berries are ok. Tropical fruits not so much.
    What other fruits is everyone enjoying? Is watermelon ok?

• posted by TrishaDawn
    on

If you’re following the low carb aspect of the diet, watermelon might be a bit high. It’s listed as 8 grams per 100 grams of melon, but if you’re anything like me, 100 grams of watermelon isn’t big enough to be satisfying. I count carbs as well as calories, so I do have berries, sometimes a small apple, orange or mandarin, but I add their carb count into my daily allowance of between 30gm and 50 gm. Rhubarb has only about half the carbs but isn’t always available.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Could I suggest that you invest some time in researching the nutritional data to boost your knowledge as when we commit it helps to immerse ourselves in the project and we are all learning all of the time. Use the search box above to check if the question was asked before because most things come round quite often and there are probably too many threads started that go nowhere and die after a few posts. Once you learn how much sugar is in the various foods that you eat you will not need to feel lonely or short of information but there is a significant investment to be made if we are to change our whole eating and living styles. It worked for most of us – just finishing Week 16 today 40 pounds down.

• posted by Izzy
    on

If you use one of the online apps that count calories and carbs it is quite easy to see what the numbers are, like skywalker says it is worth having a look.

I usually have a few berries with yoghurt but if I feel like a satsuma or an apple I have one. They add more carbs but I can then adjust another meal.

Most people stay low, often lower than 30g. I don’t go as low personally and can be anywhere between 30-60 but usually in the middle. I find it useful to play with my fitbit app before I decide what to make for lunch etc by putting in and taking out different ingredients until it has the numbers I want for that meal.

melon and pineapples, bananas are all high. I fancied a banana the other day but when I looked at my app it was 27g carbs so I thought better of it.

• posted by Sugar sugar
    on

I was really just wondering what fruits folks were enjoying on this diet.
    Perhaps I did not ask right….

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Sugar sugar,

As fruits are seasonal I need to tell you I’m in Australia. I’m doing 5:2 BSD and consume two servings of fruit/day.
    Currently I’m enjoying berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries) apples, mandarins, avocado. Of an evening when I have a cup of sparkling water I’ll add a slice of lemon or lime.
    I hope this info is helpful.

• posted by Frog
    on

Not quite fruit, but apparently its a really good asparagus season in the UK – I had some yesterday, and was amazed when I put it into myfitnesspal at how low in calories and carbs it is – and its great with salmon.
    I also had an apple, and was equally surprised at how carby that was – I would have been well under 50 calories yesterday if it hadn’t been for the apple!
    Favorite fruit – also very seasonal is rhubarb, which I’ve been eating lots of – great with porridge or greek yoghurt.
    It can be a bit tart, but I cooked 800g last week, and added less than a teaspoon of stevia.
    Also great unsweetened as a vegetable – I love it with smoked mackerel.

• posted by KJ77
    on

I eat loads of asparagus and it really is a super food – below are it’s benefits

1contains glutathione, a potent antioxidant, well known for it’s detoxifying properties.
    2.Is a good source of fiber, folate, iron, vitamins A, C, E and K.
    3.Is a natural diuretic – a beneficial food for those with high blood pressure and other heart-related conditions.
    4.It contains inulin – a prebiotic which helps support the beneficial bacteria in our gut.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

KJ77, you are quite right. However, haven’t you left off the most important benefit?

It’s DELICIOUS!!!! 🙂

• posted by KJ77
    on

It certainly is – even my 3 year old likes it which is saying something!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.