Four Weeks in No Weight Loss

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Scottie1
    on

Hello all – my first post here.
    I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. I’ve stuck rigidly to diet rules (a couple of blips due to having to eat out and not knowing calories) and I lost 2lbs in the first 3 weeks then got on scales this morning to find those pesky pounds back on again! I have about a stone to lose. I’m trying to stay motivated but it’s very hard. My carbs are usually 30g or less. Sugars 20g or less. I exercise and walk every day. Anyone else experienced this? Thanks so much.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi Scottie.

Maybe you need to check your scales? The kitchen ones, I mean. If you’ve really stuck to 800 calories a day for four weeks, other than for two meals, then I can’t see how you could not have lost weight. My guess is that you’re either not weighing accurately, estimating some items and seriously under estimating them, or missing out some foods or drinks in your calculations.

It’s really, really easy to under estimate how much you’ve eaten if you don’t weigh and record everything, especially at the start. It’s also very easy to miss something, eg drinks (and not just alcoholic ones).

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Scottie. In all honesty, I’ve never before heard of your outcome. What app are you using
    to count your macros? protein, net carbs, and fats? Grams of each? I’m curious about
    where 20g of sugar are coming from? There is always a reason to explain these things,
    and it may be that you’re overlooking something that would be obvious to all of us who
    are years into this way of life. If you would like to provide more specifics of what you
    are eating, then we’ll do our best to help! Lastly, are you measuring and weighing everything
    you are eating or drinking?
    Best to you 🙂

Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Scottie,
    Could you please tell us more about what your diet was like before moving on to this WoE, (Way of Eating) Where you on a different weight loss system and if so for how long? Those who join after being a member of one of the diet clubs for a while have a different weight loss pattern to other newcomers, so more information on what your diet was like before starting would be helpful.

• posted by alliecat
    on

JGwen, just a point of interest..(I’m sorry Scottie….I don’t think this is relative to your problem, and
    I’m sure would just confuse you further 🙂 ) I’m curious to know why you believe weight loss
    patterns differ among newcomers that have been following an alternative diet club plan, JGwen.
    Fat is fat, and physiologically stored in our adipose tissue. Different body types/genetics
    predetermine those storage spots, as well as gender.
    Thanks for your reply.

Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Alliecat,
    I noticed that people who had not been on a diet directly before starting on this WoE have a large weight loss in the first couple of weeks which is down to water loss as well as fat loss. Those already on a diet plan, have already lost water so they achieve fat loss only.
    Therefore, if Scottie had been on a diet for some time and is now looking to loose the last stone the loss of a couple of pounds over the first 3 weeks would not be out of the ordinary level of progress. Also, we know that the body fills up fat cells with water and then you get a whoosh, that could explain the gain over the last week which will change once the whoosh happens.

• posted by Scottie1
    on

Hello all – thank you so much for your input.

I must be going wrong somewhere but I can’t see where.
    Scales are accurate and i’m recording absolutely everything. I’m only drinking water or herbal tea. I’m using Nutracheck app.

The only sugar i’m eating is blueberries (half cup in 60g of full fat yoghurt for breakfast). I’m also exercising and am very active so i’m SO hungry!

Good news is I dropped 3lbs suddenly this morning.

But I’ll go back to basics and see where I might be going wrong.

Thanks again for you support.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, JGwen!!! I absolutely see your point. I must have been lost in a “blind” moment
    of incomprehension, or a “senior moment”! Perhaps just sleep deprivation? I was off on a
    tangent, or over complicating your post. Much appreciate the reply. Thanks 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Scottie1,
    If you search for the term whoosh on the forums, then you will see that a lot of us have encountered a similar pattern of weight loss. – Breaking down fat isn’t a linear process with each fat cell being emptied in turn. What happens is the body takes a little fat out of a number of cells and replaces the fat with water. Only once all the fat is used out of the cells is the water released and the cells collapse.
    So you can be staying on plan but either the scales don’t show a drop or will even be increasing, and then you have a day or night with multiple trips to the loo and the weight drops down. The length of time the cycle takes and how big the whoosh is depends on how large an area of fat the body is working on. – You may find that inches decrease even if the scales are showing and increase in weight during the cycle.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’m glad you’ve seen a loss, Scottie.

People’s weight loss does seem to plateau at some point, maybe for some reason that happened to you at the start instead of later on?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Scottie,
    I thought it may be helpful to share my experience. I have been on this WOE for coming up to 7 months, and will be continuing for a while to get down to my revised targets. Initially I did see a downwards move in the scales most days. After a while the scales didn’t move each day, but during each plateaux of weight loss, the tape measure or mirror showed changes and then there would be disturbed night, with multiple trips to the loo, and the scales would show a weight drop in kg the next morning. More recently, after each drop, despite sticking to the diet, my weight will increase slightly each day for a while and then there is a waterfall scale whoosh day, with a kg level drop in the scales. – My impressions are that :- 1. initially, part of the weight loss was water as well as fat. 2. The scale/duration of the fluid retention/whoosh is dependant on the size of the area of fat the body is drawing on. 3. A couple of us who feel that our bodies have now reached the point of working on long term fat deposits were speculating last month that because the body uses fat stores as deposits for toxins, maybe more water and a more dramatic whoosh is needed when the body is using fat it has stored for a long time in comparison to recent fat stores.
    You might find this link helpful. http://100down.org/the-whoosh-effect/

• posted by Scottie1
    on

Thank you JGwen for sharing that info. As it happens I’m suddenly losing weight. It’s a strange process! Many thanks for replying.

• posted by Scottie1
    on

Thank you Squidge.

• posted by Squidge
    on

That’s interesting. I have noticed that my squidy bits sometimes feel squishier than usual – I had vaguely hoped that meant it was loosening up ready to go or something. Sounds as though I was almost, sort of, right.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

JGwen, thanks for the link on the whoosh effect. Very interesting info on the link page. That has certainly been my experience that the results dont always match the effort day to day or even week to week….but it does seem to all catch up with itself over 3 weeks. I have seen whooshes of delayed weight loss happen “down the road” , but also upticks in weight when I have been less than stellar. The uptick happens after you thing you have gotten away with it with no gain after falling off the wagon a bit….and then boom, thar she blows and the scales go up 2 weeks later after you have returned to the straight and narrow. You certainly have to have a “rolling average” mindset to stay sane through it all.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I have reported the recent post from someone trying to flog a different diet system.

– I know people have given others advice in the past that providing links to useful sources of information is fine, but not advertising paid services.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

yeah, me too JGwen

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, JGwen. I was just about to report it, too. Those “trolls” that we have been talking about!

Please log in or register to post a reply.