For anyone suffering from constipation

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Spirit
    on

I can thoroughly recommend using Potters Herbals Cleansing Herbs Tea – from the health food shop.

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by SOS
    on

Thank you Spirit, it is a bit of a problem but I have read that fewer movements will happen on this diet and that’s ok as long as there is no discomfort. Mine are smaller I have noticed. Apologies for the indelicate nature of my post ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Spirit
    on

Dont’ worry SOS, many of us have had/are having this.

I eat plenty of veg and have flax seed etc. they don’t really help. but the herb tea certainly does!

It’s ok for me as I work from home but don’t recommend taking it the night before you have to get a busdrive anywhere ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Healthyme15
    on

I will be recommending this Digestic by Mimonis also as it is an herbal supplement that greatly helps me in my constipation problem. It just take few days of taking this supplement and I was totally relieved from constipation. I am hoping that I can help a lot here who is suffering from this problem.

• posted by Rubbu
    on

Thank you for the tips… I am constipated have a movement every 4 days!!!! I have to say my poo is just like childhood poo๐Ÿ˜€……and I going to be indelicate here too….smell is not as potent either. I guess less bacteria in the gut? I read somewhere its bacteria in the gut which produces the odours…….. Right no more details ….!

• posted by Allychat
    on

Food tips for constipation. I eat 45g dried seedless prunes (for a snack) and include kumara (65g at lunch & 65g at dinner) every day as well as drinking plenty of water. Both these foods are chock full of fibre and low GI so great for blood sugar. Easy to work them into the overall 800 cal count. A little tip if you are not that fond of prunes – keep them in the freezer. They dont freeze solid and the texture is nice. 23g of fibre every day will help with constipation and fast track weight loss. I use the ‘My Net Diary’ to track my fibre consumption as well as calories.

• posted by bizzylizzy
    on

For me, (not diabetic), this has been my worst problem while on this diet. I haven’t had a problem with hunger and I’ve always had headaches (lots of stress) but I have struggled with constipation. I seem to have found the answer (for me) which is to have 30g rolled oats made into porridge (with mostly water and a splash of milk) and 2 tsps flaxseed mixed in – this is breakfast. The book says ‘rolled oats’ are ok, which confused me at first until I googled it and discovered that normal porridge oats are actually rolled oats! So I don’t have to scout about for jumbo oats, which is good news because oats can be bought very cheaply for a large bag. My OH, who is diabetic has eggs for breakfast, but was also having these problems, eats 20g of All Bran in the evening as a late “supper”, which has done the trick for him. Hope this helps someone. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Great steer re prunes – had assumed they would be a banned substance! I use Regucol, (psyllium husk) in some coconut water just before breakfast/brunch – works a treat, have found any exclusion diet plays havoc with bowels and also more mature (ahem…) women do suffer, hormones and all that. So to head it all off at the pass……I have been taking it for quite a while now. Lots of water helps too as does a strong black coffee (barf)

• posted by Debi
    on

Hi

Anyone tried the Eat Water carb substitutes: Slim Rice, pasta & noodles. I split a packet 2 or 3 ways a day depending on what I’m eating. So, breakfast stirred in yoghurt with raspberries, tossed through salad, with eavening meat/fish & veg.

I run it through whisked eggs for omelette or scrambled. Nice with cream cheese & chopped bacon/tuna with wilted spinach. Cauliflower sauce over the penne with Parmesan is another. Endless… Regular movements guaranteed LOL

• posted by Allychat
    on

Hi Fifip. Prunes are definitely not a banned substance. Michael directs us to low GI and hi-fibre foods. Prunes are highly recommended on low GI as are kumara (orange sweet potato). I know as both are ‘sweet’ it seems counter intuitive but so long as you watch your quantities and fit them into the overall 800 calories it will be fine and the increase of fibre will help with constipation and your weight loss. Im finding including legumes such as chick peas, black eyed beans etc is also helpful with constipation. I cook them myself from dried varieties so that i get them as tender as I like them and know there are no additives. Keep your fluids up too. Good luck.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

I would also recommend dal, which I make with yellow split peas, mustard seed, cumin seed, Chile flakes, garlic, and onion. Works a treat and delicious!
    Fry all ingredients except the split peas in some oil, then add water, simmer with the peas added til they’re soft.
    Penny

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Still struggling with constipation. I’m taking psyllium twice a day, plenty of fluids and still it persists. I have seeds and veg (though perhaps not as much as I should) and have taken senna three days running and …. nothing! I’m sure it’s stalling weight lose and it’s very frustrating.

• posted by Magpiemag
    on

Hello, have you tried chia seeds? They are fab in a smoothie (if you have a device like a bullet thingy to smash them to bits – otherwise it’s not a very smooth smoothie!) or sprinkled on a salad. They are very filling because they swell up inside plus they are extremely nutritious, low carb and high in fibre! Here’s a link which gives more info. Hope it helps. https://authoritynutrition.com/11-proven-health-benefits-of-chia-seeds/

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Thank you AllyChat : )

Consuming legumes, chickpeas, lentils, chilli, the lot, desperate not to get a log-jam!!

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi SunnyB

First, don’t ignore or delay going to the toilet when you get the signals. That feeling might go away & take a good while to return. Be sure to really drink 2 – 3 litres a day. The longer food waste is in the intestines, the more fluid is reabsorbed & the harder (literally) it is to defecate.

The change of diet prompts a change of habit. Worrying won’t speed things up. A bit more fat in your diet will help
    Very often eating prompts the defecating response. Eat breakfast try & go to the loo. All a bit obvious but it gets worrying if you have never had this happen before. Also try hot drinks. I have a fruit tea & glass of water as soon as I rise

Also move. Try running up & down the stairs a few times. Get everything to wake up with you in the morning. We create habits

I eat full fat Greek yoghurt , nuts & a mixture of strawberries , blueberries , raspberries & cherries for breakfast. Also have a full cooked breakfast somethimes or smoked salmon with poached egg, or scrambled eggs & bacon etc. I only eat ONE of these things, but mostly yoghurt etc

I sprinkle one level tablespoon of flaked almond & Goji berries & one level tablespoon of mixed seeds on my yoghurt I get Waitrose love life mixed seeds. They contain sunflower , pumpkin, sesame & linseed. Linseed is most important for my bowel health. I also have 2 walnuts with the yoghurt. I’m sure you can buy or make up the list of nuts & seeds you want as I sometimes do.

I was constipated too at first & did all of the above. I’m fine now. If you are still worried have a word with your pharmacist ( probably quicker than your dr). Give yourself extra time in the morning if that’s the routine time you are going for
    Hope this helps
    Eureka

• posted by Debi
    on

Great advice here – thanks everyone. I am using all of these tips to jazz up my usual methods as I struggled way back when I embarked. On the 5:2 Fast Diet to lose my obesity and embark on a healthy eating plan.

This is always in my diet with is chai seeds, flax seeds, leafy veg, chick peas, lentils, coconut oil in strong black coffee:)
    https://www.eatwater.co.uk/

Happy eating and well-being all xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Eureka
    Thanks for the really fulsome advise. I bought some Omega Mixed Seeds in Holland & Barret a couple of days ago, this mix includes linseed and I have started to use this in the mornings with yogurt. Will get some chia seed today and add that in. Managed to go a bit this morning, but not nearly enough considering I haven’t been for at least a week! Feel like there’s more to come – but when!!!

Anyway, I will persist. It is definitely impacting on my weight, as it has crept up by almost a pound since weigh-in on Monday morning and the only variable in lack of bowel movement, as I have kept on top of the cals, carbs and fluid intake. I’m so frustrated, as I was hoping to hit one stone lost by Friday morning, but that so isn’t happening now.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Sunnyb
    I recommend milled flax seed and also dal, I posted the recipe on the ‘constipation’ thread.
    I read on dietdoctor.com that on low carb we excrete salt and lack of salt adds to constipation so we should eat more salt.
    Hope you feel better soon.
    Penny

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi SunnyB

You’ve got lots of good advice to choose from. Pick what is best for you. I’m sure you will be a lot more comfortable soon
    You are following the BSD & you are right about constipation making a difference to your weight. Don’t worry about the scales. Bet you didn’t know that there could be up to 4lb difference in weight + or – in a day. (Jenny Ruhl Blood Sugar 101, second edition. & Diet 101, The truth about Low Carb Diets). Two essential reference books for diabetics I think. Also on line info http://www.phlaunt.com

Prof Roy Taylor Newcastle Uni,was the original 8 weeks diabetic reversal diet trial dr. 8 weeks was chosen, I believe because it was a trial to see if fast , diet restriction & weight loss could emulate Bariatric surgery findings. Those patients undergoing that surgery, forcing them to eat a very restricted diet REVERSED their diabetes. It was found out by accident! It was thought that it would be hard for people to stay on a very restricted diet for a long enough time to bring their weight loss down by about 20% of their original body weight.

My point being that very committed people were chosen to undertake this trial. 3 Optifast shakes of 200 calories a day & 200 – 250. Calories of veg/ salad = 800 calories. They were monitored all the time & it had to happen fast

See : Fast 800 forum , Topic : Answers & info how & why 22.1.16

We are doing this on our own. We are doing it with real food. We count or don’t count the calories (me). If lucky, with some medic support! You / we are doing fine. Don’t obsess with 8 weeks. Some will get there fast others slow. But we will all try & get that life saving goal. This is where it happens. This is real life

The Lord helps those who help themselves

Constipated we arn’t
    Eureka

• posted by Hawks
    on

For constipation try kiwifruit which helps not just because of fibre, but also some enzymes and probiotics as well.
    Some people find it very ummm… stimulating.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks everyone for the advise and support. I am about to go on a two month trip to Turkey and am a little anxious about keeping control of the diet, however, I have decided not to stress about the calories too much and to keep hold of carbs and am taking ketostix with me to keep an eye on ketosis. I am hoping that as I will be concentrating on eating more salad and such, the constipation will ease. It is still an issue right now, but I guess it is what it is and I shall just have to keep trying various things until is rights itself.

• posted by Pandora
    on

Hi,

Can’t speak from experience but I’ve heard a glass of warm water first thing in the morning works wonders.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi SunnyB

Enjoy that long break. Eat as near to the BSD as you can but most of all have a great time. Hope there is lots of sun to enjoy & walk in. Keep hydrated on the plane
    Eureka

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Have a good trip Sunnyb
    Penny

• posted by FoFi
    on

I have the Potters Cleansing Herb Tablets. On the side it says not suitable for diabetics (and many other conditions). I don’t know about the tea.

• posted by Lustijusti
    on

Hi all, new to the forums, this is my first post (Hi!). I have been going on and off the diet, mainly because I was getting so badly constipated, the scales weren’t showing progress and I’d then get discouraged and eat badly! And I always go to the toilet easily after eating badly…carbs are good for that! I’ve found new enthusiasm after reading how many people also struggled with constipation and I’m being aggressive with a few things.
    1. Fybogel, I have 2 sachets in the morning and another 2 at night.
    2. Chia seeds – my breakfast is 20g of chia seeds which are about 100 cals and full of fibre and pretty good on protein and fat too. I have that with a tbsp of lime juice and water and it’s actually delicious.
    And 3. Water. I can’t believe how much water I am drinking, I just keep going with it. Anyway, the plan is working and I”m now just struggling with will power when it comes to catered lunches and morning teas at work! Progress

• posted by DebT
    on

Hello,

I am new to BSD so have lots of questions but am wondering if anyone understands why constipation is an issue? Before the BSD it wasn’t a problem but now it is. I am eating lots of vegetables and salads!

Thanks, appreciated.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

The more fibrous the bulk you eat i.e. veg etc the slower the transition but it is more effective at passing nutrients from the food (the poo) into the bloodstream than food that passes through quickly. If you are seriously constipated it is just that your body is not used to the new foods you are eating, try lots of water or sprinkle some chia seeds on a yoghurt or other food.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Should also have said that the body is using its fluids to flush out the fats (that is how fat leaves your body, through your pee) so not so much fluid in the poo, making it even slower, hence the need for lots of water. For poo and for general hydration.

• posted by Clootiedumpling
    on

Actually we breathe out fat… see https://youtu.be/vuIlsN32WaE it’s fascinating! What we pee out is the water stored in fat cells before they collapse e.g. Whoosh effect. As for the constipation, it’s mainly dehydration and reduction in your usual sources of fibre from oats, breakfast cereal, bread, grains etc. Your body has to get fibre from veg now and you have to eat a lot more to make up for losses! Especially if you were eating a lot of whole grains previously. As a student nurse we see a lot of constipation when people’s diet and appetite changes due to illness and the thing that always works is more fibre, more fluids and if needed a gentle bedtime laxative e.g. Senna. This won’t give you the runs, it will just soften everything! Keep at it and your body will adjust, and don’t be afraid to take the odd senna before bed to stop yourself getting bunged up.

• posted by ddraig_goch
    on

Fascinating video Clootie, thanks for sharing. I had one bout of constipation in week 2 which Senna eventually sorted but since then no problem even though I haven’t ‘been’ for a week as my cals are averaging 550cals, I fast for at least 36hrs once a week and drink 4-6l daily.

• posted by Phreckles
    on

Happy I found this post – I’m on day five of my 4-week recovery period after my first round of BSD. I had no “going” issues during the 8 weeks, but now, five days in to the break, it’s suddenly become an issue. I’ll try to pick up some Senna – haven’t heard of it before (I’m in the US) but I’ll check out my local health food store to see if they have any.

• posted by La Pomme
    on

I am so glad I found this post as it has reassured me that I am not alone with this problem. I am at the end of my 3rd week and my weight loss has stalled completely and I have not been to the loo for almost a week. I am drinking plenty and eating lots of salad and veg. I must admit that I have been rather inactive during the very hot weather but now it is cooler I will resume walking. I dare not eat prunes as I love them and they are loaded with sugar. As a type 2 diabetic I have been very pleased that my fasting blood sugars have come back into the normal range despite the blockage!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

I also did have this issue in the past and chia seeds did help but I didn’t like them. Changed to ground flaxseeds which I really like. Then (after watching the Angela Rippon programme How to Stay Young – presented with Dr Chris van Tulleken – in which Angela found she had a fatty liver) I added inulin as I also was diagnosed with a fatty liver. So I have no idea if it improved my fatty liver but I still take it every day because I found that it caused much faster transit times and the end of constipation. It sometimes causes very fast transit. So I have to strictly limit how much I use – I mix it with my kefir and flaxseeds.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

It’s a problem I have had to wrangle with pretty much all my life, regardless of diet and hydration. I find kefir helps, as do chia seeds, which can be used whole or ground. Nuts can help, but of course they are high cal, so it’s hard to include many on the BSD. Tried inulin and can’t say it was hugely effective for me, but everyone’s body is different and we each have to find what works best for us. I’m afraid it’s a bit trial and error, so I hope you find something that works for you soon, La Pomme.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Forgot to mention that a magnesium supplement will help to get things moving, if you are getting really uncomfortable.

• posted by victor_dan
    on

Has anyone heard of Dissociated Diet? Usually it is associated to Montignac Diet. I used it for years and it helped me so much to understand the nature of food. As for constipation, if diet is not working anymore, i think there are other causes like viruses or bacteria (such as Helyobacter or Giardia). I think our body can easily assimilate food and can handle constipation easily. But as years go by, i think bacteria that develop over years in our intestines is so harmful for the entire body.

Im so fortunate i have discovered montignacs method of eating. It is so good for digestion and a good intestinal transit. i read most of the post from above but no one is talking about fiber, eating fruits on an empty stomach or having vegetables in the meal in specific proportions. Which are so good for constipation and for having a good diet. Please let me know if someone has heard of Montignac`s Diet.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi victor_dan – not being familiar with the Montignac Diet I did a quick search and if I’m understanding correctly it uses GI as it’s approach, which is quite different to the BSD which is a low carb intake and doesn’t consider GI. Yes fibre is important, however on the BSD fruit is used sparingly regardless of GI, as it tends to be high carb as are some vegetables with acceptable GI. If gut flora is an issue, fermented foods are recommended and a good route to go if using the BSD approach.

I’m glad that the Montignac approach works for you, however, I personally feel that trying to blend a GI approach with the BSD principles might rather muddy the water.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello victor-dan. The only diet I’m familiar with that focuses on GI is “The South Beach Diet. It uses
    smaller quantities of healthy fats, so I agree with Sunny that it’s only marginally compatible with the
    BSD, which is low carb, moderate protein, high healthy fat. Having done both, I find the BSD the more
    effective of the 2, and sustainable for life. With careful vegetable selection, consuming enough fiber
    is completely doable. I add 1/4c per day of fermented unpasteurized kimchi to my diet to nourish
    gut biome health. I’m 26 months into this lifestyle, and it’s the best gift that I’ve ever given myself.
    Cheers!

• posted by Mermaid
    on

Hi everyone,
    Bumping up this thread for support and more ideas.
    I’m back on this diet 2 years after the first time. First week was great, lost 2,8kg, but now, week 2, I’ve stopped pooping (4 days so far), and even going for a run doesn’t help. I’ve been eating flax seeds everyday, and veggies and low carb veggie soups. This morning I resorted to mixing All Bran in my Greek yogurt.
    I probably need to up my water…

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi Mermaid, I had this problem badly in the early days and after weeks and weeks of it was advised to take magnesium citrate tablets to help the functioning of the smooth muscles in the gut. Problem solved! I’d tried flax, increased water, chia seeds, you name it. Nothing helped until I started using magnesium.
    Now I take them only occasionally, no longer needed unless I am doing a back to basics stretch. They don’t cause dependence or other problems like laxatives can. Hope that helps.

• posted by Mermaid
    on

Hi Mariet,
    Thanks, that really helps! I’ll try taking Magnesium Citrate to see how it works.
    The All Bran & drinking more water seems to have helped a bit, but not enough (and All Bran has quite a few carbs).

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Magnesium is my go to in this situation as well. It’s a gentle and natural solution to the problem. Do keep your fiber intake up though, so if necessary add in psyllium, chia or flax and of course keep the hydration up too.

• posted by victor_dan
    on

@sunnyb @alliecat BSD sounds interesting. I started to read a bit about this “method” which in principles, it has what it needs for weight loss. Especially combining Fast 800 with 5:2 and a little bit of fasting. But I want to dig more because high GI values from food are not a good sign for me. And I mean on long-term. I’ll get back after i read more about The South Beach Diet.
    Thank you for the replies

Please log in or register to post a reply.