Food allegies

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sarahgb
    on

Hi everyone, I’ve been looking at the BSD 8 week diet to help me get my diabetes under control. The last 12 months I’ve pretty much lived off carbs and it shows. I’m struggling. I also looked at the weekly recipes in the ‘Fixing Dad’ (UK) book. Unfortunately I’m allergic to eggs. I also have a cheese intolerance but I can replace with a vegan version. But does anyone have any suggestions on what I could use to replace eggs especially for breakfast.
    Cheers 😊

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there sarahgb, welcome to the site. How are your BG numbers doing now on low carb. As a diabetic I go through various ‘intolerances’ and I had one against eggs for a few years, this was also combined with one against all dairy products so life was a bit of a nightmare. I have grown out of it now but still have to be careful. Can you eat other dairy as yoghurts with fruits like berries and seed and nuts is a good alternative for breakfast. If you cant tolerate cows milk maybe change to soya or almond milk products. As for cheese, I found a really good selection of goats cheese which I could eat or you could continue on the vegan path. It is okay to have oats now and then on this diet but a much smaller portion than the normal one i.e. around 25 grams served with yoghurt (again if you can eat it) or soaked overnight in almond milk and sprinkles with nuts fruit and / or seeds. One of my favourite when in season is the recipe for grilled apricots. Marinade overnight in lime, cinnamon and a touch of olive oil, grill until the edges are just blackening and serve with yoghurt. Keep saying yoghurt as you didnt say it gave you a problem. Good old full English for me once a week, grilled bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes one week then grilled sausage, etc the next. Obviously I have some form of egg but just as tasty without. Portobello toast which is a large portobello mushroom toasted with goats cheese, olive oil and pine nuts (walnuts for me). Or there are shakes if you have a machine, lots of variations – spinach and raspberry, green tea and blueberries with almonds and flax seeds, melon and blueberries with almond milk, spinach and seeds. So much to choose from.

• posted by sarahgb
    on

Many thanks 😊 haven’t started it yet, but planning weekly menu. I’m fine with dairy, but cheese aggravates my gall bladder. Yoghurt is fine and I like the idea of a cooked breakfast and using big mushrooms as a toast element. I think I’m restricting myself by looking at someone else’s diet sheer and not taking in to account my dietary needs. Having a chat with my Doctor on Tuesday just to be on the safe side with meds etc. Thanks for the great reply 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Sarah, there are various began egg substitutes available, take a look online or in your local health food store and hopefully you’ll find one which suits.

If you would like some support and encouragement along the way, perhaps consider joining in on the weekly thread. There will be a new on kicked off tomorrow evening, but feel free to jump in there anytime you like …. warm welcome guaranteed.

• posted by sarahgb
    on

Thank you, I’ll have a look 😊

Please log in or register to post a reply.