First week on the Fast 800 and feeling dispointed

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lowenna
    on

So I have finished my first week on the Fast 800. I used Fitness Pal to track my intake and I was meticulous, it didn’t like I was only eating 800 calories. Bought a fitness watch that counts my steps and embarked with zeal. I have stuck to the meals in the book. Have sat and watched my colleagues tuck in to the cakes and biscuits and refused them all.

I have gone to bed hungry and woken up hungry every day and if I never see another glass of fizzy water it can’t be too soon but still there is the joy of seeing the weight drop off as I get on the scales. At least that’s how it should be isn’t it. In reality I have lost 2lbs. Probably what I would have lost anyway as I returned to normal eating after a fortnight on holiday. After a week of ploughing on despite the craving and people telling me I looked tired and would you believe fatter than normal. I feel really gutted by it so to speak.

My partner has continued to eat cereal for breakfast, sandwich and cake for lunch and then what I was cooking from the book in the evening,. He has lost 4lbs!

Today I went out for lunch I was going to order the chicken salad but by the time I got to the counter I thought what is the point and had the rarebit.

I shall probably try and continue eating low carb during the week but not be massively over zealous at the weekend. I did resist the cakes at the village fete today…miserable when everyone else is enjoying themselves.

I am not diabetic but do need to lose a stone and a half. May be time for a rethink but very disappointing so far 🙁

• posted by Ziggy
    on

The 5:2 diet might suit you better,, on it you only fast for 2 days a week, and it works, I lost over a stone on it last year. And because it is only for 2 not contiguous days a week, it is easier to do, knowing the next day you can eat more – on the Med Diet.

• posted by Lowenna
    on

I am going for an induction day next week at the local leisure club and am determined to keep to a low carb regime in the week next week so hopefully that might kick start it. I ended up in Bristol Spinal Unit when I followed Michaels fast exercise regime (undiagnosed hypermobility) so have not been able to exercise for a year.

I recently had a high CRP test and they assumed rheumatoid arthritis – I actually think having read MM that it isn’t I think it is having. Insulin resistance etc

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Lowenna

Please have a look at my thread “not too much to lose, but not seeing an immediate impact” which sets out how I worked through the BSD. Quicker than trying to type it all out again.

I recommend the Ketostix as it helps to know you’re burning fat when the weight isn’t moving. And ensure you have target garments to judge if the measurements are changing.

Hope this helps! 🙂

• posted by Lowenna
    on

Hi thanks very much for the pointer to your post. I’ve read it and it’s interesting. I will stick with it next week and see what happens.

I will also look at the links you put in and the ketostixs xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Lowenna

Sorry to read you had a disappointing start on the BSD, but you are not alone. Like you I have only ever lost 2 to 3 pounds per week on the BSD. However, I have found having stuck with it, that I no longer crave carbs and feel fitter and healthier than I have in some considerable time. What you have been experiencing, is your body protesting about you withholding carbs and this will settle over time, as you adjust to this new way of eating. However, I suspect that if you flip-flop between a low carb 800 cals during the week and the high carbs at w/e’s your body won’t be able to make that adjustment to being free of hunger pangs and craving carbs.

Personally, now that I have been on the Fast 800 for a while, I find that I only get really bad hunger pangs, if I have ‘treated’ myself to something high in carbs. The rest of the time I rarely feel hungry. The trick to feeling more sated and fuller for longer on the 800, is drinking plenty and ensuring you have enough fat in you meals, as this is satisfying and helps keep the pangs at bay, as well as kicking the body into fat burning mode.

I also use Ketostix, as they are an excellent way of checking where you are at and if your body is burning fat. An I agree that having target clothes to get into helps too – went to a wedding a month or two back, wearing a dress I haven’t been able to do up for a couple of years and it was comfy and looked great.

We all have to find our own way on the BSD, but try not to be put off by your experiences so far and give it another try.

Please log in or register to post a reply.