First week

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Fch53
    on

Hi all
    This is my second day of my first week. Felt off for first two days, but better today than yesterday. Don’t eat chocolate and not to keen on yogurt, but have always found lots of high sugar treats to mean that I still struggle, so not much of an advantage. I have read the book a few times already and am exploring all the new substitutes for the carbs I used to eat. Have a lot to lose(7+ stone) so eight weeks will not get me there, but I will see how far it gets me. The book seems to say porridge is OK and I have always made that from script, nothing processed but has anyone got any recipes for oats that work on this plan. As I don’t eat yoghurt , eggs and oats seem the best alternatives for breakfast, but different recipes would keep it interesting.

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Welcome Fch, I’m just into my second week now. I didn’t manage to stick to it properly last week, but still lost 6lbs. Hoping to complete a whole week this time.

I have a good 7+ stone to lose too, I hope in a few months’ time we’ll be congratulating each other on doing it!

Oats are quite high in carbohydrates so some diabetics can’t tolerate them, but I think they’re included in the fast 800 provided you’re keeping within the calorie limit (so only small portions of them). They have loads of other good attributes as well such as helping to reduce cholesterol.

I use Staffordshire oatcakes in my meal plans, they are a little high in carbs but I find them really satisfying and they help me stay off bread. I buy mine from supermarkets but there are recipes online – actually I might give a recipe a go because then I could include more bran/fibre.

Very best of luck to you – wishing you the most successful journey!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

There’s lots you can do with eggs – lots of herbs and spices you can use ring the changes. You could also add cheese or maybe a little smoked salmon to omelette or scrambled egg. And actually you can do the same sort of thing with oats, adding in cinnamon, nutmeg, or a few sultanas/raisins, or fresh berries, or seeds/nuts. If you don’t like yogurt, how about adding a spoonful of full fat crème fraiche to some dishes? It’s much creamier than yogurt.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I know you said you’re not keen on yoghurt but neither was I until I started eating the full fat stuff. The fat free stuff was just awful so I left it alone. Do you like cream? If you do, you will like full fat yoghurt. Pretty filling with some strawberries and coconut oil.

• posted by Fch53
    on

Went off chocolate due to incident in second pregnancy and later started to dislike creamy sweet tastes. Have also got a bit of lactose intolerance that gets worse the more fat in the dairy product. I have sometimes found total Greek yoghurt ok and oddly I prefer unsweetened varieties, so I may see if I can include that in a breakfast combo. Like the suggestion for eggs SunnyB, so will be trying some of those.Have eaten oat cakes before jpscloud, usually plain but they could also work with cottage cheese, if very sparingly to limit the carbs. So much of this diet is different to what I did with weight watchers and it is going to take a lot of getting used to, but I think the difference may be an advantage as it should encourage me to think hard about what I choose and that usually makes me stick more to it. Here’s Hoping for some positive result.

Thanks everyone.

• posted by karra
    on

Hi and welcome FCH, I know you said you don’t like Yoghurt, but take it from someone that absolutely REFUSED to even contemplate Yoghurt, and now love it. I bought Frage Total Yoghurt which is Full Fat. I spoon out 100g using a scale, then cut 2 – 3 strawberries depending on size and 8-10 blueberries. I sprinkle a little bit of Canderal (sweetner) on it as well as a sprinkle of cinnamon on it, and trust me it takes away the bitter taste (which is what I found hard to handle). Give it a try and see if you like it like that. It’s like having strawberries with cream….Mmmm only low in carbs.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Fch, you could toast half an ounce of rolled oats, cool them then add them to fage full fat yoghurt, then stir in 2 ounces of raspberries. Don’t add sugar or sweeteners as it will take you a long time to change your carb cravings if you do. Fage is delicious xxx

• posted by Cate Ran Away
    on

Hi all, I just started on the 800 BSD, I have a family history of diabetes with both my oldest and youngest sister being diabetic, plus Dad dying early from heart disease brought on by type 2 diabetes. I have been doing the 5: 2 for the last month as suggested by my doctor and lost 0 kg but after two days on this 800bsd I already down 2 kg. I’m really looking forward to the next 8 weeks together.

• posted by Fch53
    on

Day three and had 20g porridge with a tbsp of raisins and a springle of seeds. No sweeteners or sugar and it tasted yum. Definitely already finding sweet food taste wrong. Scales show 4lb off since Monday and like many I weigh daily as before I have noticed my weight fluctuates constantly. Need to add some of your suggestions to my food order for Friday and may try some of the recipes from the book too. Breakfast and lunch so far are the easiest to control as I am just cooking for me. Tonight’s tea is going to be paprika chicken (quorn for daughter) and veg for me but wedges for everyone else.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi cate ran away, welcome to the forums. This diet is already working for you, it sounds as if you have a supportive doctor, and your sisters should be encouraged to follow this diet after seeing your successes.

Just shout if you have any questions there will always be someone able to help 🙂

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Fch53, so glad you are already losing the taste for sugary foods 🙂

• posted by Fch53
    on

I have been concentrating on reducing my carbs and the amount I eat, but today I used my fit it to start to record the calories and I have definitely been going over budget. Only by 200 calls which isn’t bad considering both what I used to eat and how much I have to lose.

As I have been starting to feel better -headaches gone etc- time to really concentrate on tracking my calories and carbs. What app is best? The book suggests my fitness app, does that have carbs as well as calories. My fit bit app has just calories but I should probably track both rather than just cutting out certain foods completely and assuming that will work.

On another note I have ordered some yoghurt on my groceries shop due today. Don’t know what I will think of the full fat stuff as previously and very rarely I would get the total 0fat and have with honey. Obviously no honey this time, just some berries. As I have said before following my going off chocolate I have found I don’t like sweet creamy foods, but if I keep the sweeteners down it would be good to have an alternative breakfast and to eat some dairy as I don’t want my calcium to be too low.

• posted by Rosie
    on

Hi Fch53,
    Great to see another newby! I’m inspired to get the book and study MM’s ideas properly now. Thanks. Have you tried sprinkling over the oats a generous amount of ground cinnamon (great for diabetics) ? Have it with either yoghurt, milk or pureed apple… Yum. Especially with toppings. I make my own with packets of chopped almonds, pumpkin & sunflower seeds and sultanas (are these allowed?). Mixed and then just store in a handy container to dip into all through the day as either nibbles or toppings.
    Good luck.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Fch I think you will love the full fat yoghurt, it’s creamy but not sweet, and very filling! I like a few seed and milled flax on mine along with a few berries! 🙂

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Fch I do hope you will like the yoghurt – did you get the Fage brand? I haven’t found another brand that tastes anything like it. I second what hashimoto says, it’s really filling and I don’t feel at all deprived when I have it for breakfast (I have it with fresh raspberries, which I probably will have to switch to frozen berries soon for budgetary reasons!!)

Please log in or register to post a reply.