First Day Today

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nebilet67
    on

Hi,
    It’s my first day today and I confess that I haven’t actually done shopping for everything I need, going later, so for breakfast and lunch I’m having a shake (Slimfast) later I’m having roast chicken and veg or salad. Is salad unlimited? Are vegetables unlimited?
    As I said it’s my first time trying this. I did the Newcastle diet a long time ago.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi

I suggest that you use an app such as MyFitnessPal (there are others), most have a free version, to log in your food intake.

This may sound a faff, but believe me it helps planning your intake, and you can keep an eye on calories and nutrients within food.
    Many people here keep carbs (the good ones) under 50g per day to help weight loss, and the app will show you how many grams of carbs as well as protein and fat and calories within the foods you’re eating. Important to weigh stuff, too – you get used to quantities after a bit and can estimate more accurately.

So – yes you can eat veg and salad, but you can’t say ‘unlimited’ for anything – you need to know what the calorie/carb content is. For example, when I started BSD I ate quite a lot of red cabbage in salad without realising how carb-heavy it was. Not a problem in itself, but you might like to ‘spend’ your carbs on other things.

Hope that helps and good luck! 🙂

• posted by Nebilet67
    on

Hi Igorasusual,

Thanks, I have got myfitnesspal now, it’s not quite as easy as I thought staying around 800 cals. I didn’t realise how many calories there are in some veg and fruits. Thank you for your help though.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

No worries, Nebilet67, you will soon get the hang of it.

I have posted elsewhere about having ‘eaten up’ some remaining apples and clementines after a family self-catering holiday. Only when I entered them into My Fitness Pal did I see the calories!!!! the carbs!!!!! aaaaaaaaaargh.

They’re not ‘bad’ for you but they do have lots of sugar in, and it’s just that you may prefer to ‘spend’ the calories on other things. And I used to eat both apples and oranges as if they didn’t count as food, really. It’s all an education, isn’t it. 🙂

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Nebilet, in your second post you mention fruit and veg. Be careful with the fruit as most are full of sugars. You are safe with berries and maybe an occasional apple but do check first and do not eat banana, mango, peaches, cherries, grapes etc check calories as well as carbs. I was surprised that 10 cherry tomatoes had nearly 7 carbs but they are a sweet fruit, not a veg. My garden is full of the little sods and I was eating them like sweeties, that should have told me something.

Please log in or register to post a reply.