First day complete

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Liane0112
    on

Hi can I just check in to make sure I’m following correctly?
    So I’ve had two slim fast shakes and two hundred calories worth of veg.
    I have to say I struggled with the veg and didnt manage to finish it.
    I’ve uped my fluids too. I’ve been drinking sugar free squash as I dont like just drinking water.
    Is this ok?
    Any other tips would be gratefully appreciated
    Liane xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi again Liane
    I understand you are probably using the shakes in the early stages to help you feel in control but I don’t think that is the best approach as ultimately you need to concentrate on adopting a different way of eating whch you can sustain longterm with real foods that you can enjoy.
    Are you fearful of cutting back on the carbs ? It is tough adjusting but if your aim is to try to reverse your T2 it is the way to go.
    I am not a fan of sugar free squash either as all those additives /artificial sweeteners will provoke an insulin response.
    As well as the very wise words Esnecca wrote, you could also look at the http://www.dietdoctor.com website for recipes, videos and articles as well as inspirational success stories.
    We also recommend various books which explain how we have been given misguided low cal, low fat advice for décades .
    Here are ones we think would be very useful reading
    Gary Taubes : Why we get fat and what to do about it and The Diet Delusion
    Jason Fung : The Obesity Code and The Diabètes Code
    He has lots of videos you can find on YouTube.
    I know it’s a lot to take in but if you join one of the regular threads you will be able to ‘meet’ lots of supportive people who will guide you and keep answering your queries.You can get where youwant to be Liane !
    Wendy x

• posted by Liane0112
    on

Hi Wendy,
    Thank you very much for your response.
    I’m a bit confused as in the book the 8 week blood sugar diet it says that using shakes is ok? So is this not the case? I’m a huge carb eater and thought using the shakes for the first 8 weeks would gain me some control over carbs to then move on to the next section of 5.2
    I will definitely look at the links you both recommend I’m not very computer savvy but will look into the threads.
    I understand about the sugarfree squash I will try to introduce more water.
    The ultimate goal for me along side reversing t2 is weight loss.
    Liane xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

I follow the Fast 800 forum Liane rather than the Starting BSD one.
    Fast 800 is a low carb, 800 calorie programme and is designed to produce quick results , keeping blood sugars low. Have you seen Michael Mosley’s book ? It’s an update from the Blood Sugar Diet ..
    I think you would get better results on the 8 Week programme ( longer if you need to) to kick start your weight loss. It’s not unusual to lose a substantial amount in the first weeks as you reduce carbs.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

As a T2 diabetic the BSD is my bible. Not only does it explain lots of things about diabetes and how food affects us it also gives good ideas for menus and recipes. For Mothers Day this year my daughter bought me the Fast 800 and it was of no use at all to me. I found it confusing with Fasting and TRE as well as the 800 cals. I’m not saying the Fast 800 is not a good diet, to my mind it is exactly the same as the BSD but the BSD is aimed directly for diabetics and does not throw in other methods. As a diabetic I prefer to have one guideline and Fasting and TRE are not for me.

Regarding the shakes question. The ones used or recommended by DrM are of a high protein, low carb, low sugar specially designed and you have to look carefully at the ingredients on the Slimfast to see if they are suitable. As others have said, these should be just in the short term as they are not a sustainable way of living and you will be fed up in a week. Try to look through some of the lovely recipes we use and think of this as a plan for life although you wont have to stick to 800 cals for more than the 8 weeks and that will be the start of seriously improving your diabetes. Good luck.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I hope that didn’t sound as though I was saying the Fast 800 was not a good plan. I think liane said she had the BSD book already and was T2 so I just think that is not worth getting both books as the BSD has so much more about T2.

Please log in or register to post a reply.