Fine tuning to try and speed up weight loss

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by barby
    on

I am trying to speed up my weight loss – I’m really checking everything I do and eat, to see if I can improve losses. I think I have a very low metabolism from being VERY sedentary for years – still am. I have lost nothing in last 2 days, but have felt bloated.

I’m now going to start weighing food more often like most of you longtimers.

For last hour have just been on MFP under My Foods, creating my standard Yogurt/berries/nuts/linseed/chia etc breakfast – weighed every item, logged it all, there were no great surprises there, at least it is quick to add every day in future.

Have done the same for my standard goats cheese salad. The only item I’m not sure about is the squirt of Hellmans mayo. It is only a few cals more than the oil and vinegar, and similar carbs.

I’m trying to find the ” best value” foods to eat – the Yogurt breakfast is first on list.

Being veggie, I need to get my balance right re carbs/protein/fat. I am trying under 50 carbs, and 40+ fat and protein.

I don’t add fat like oil or butter, just get it from yoghurt and cheese – hope that’s OK.

I like pulses, but try not to eat too many.

I have broken low carb a couple of times in the month – by having half a roll etc, but counted it in. Would that really affect weight loss considerably?

Also I get very bloated quite often. I am starting to suspect that Quorn mince does that to me – though the Linda McCartney sausages are fine. Will try the Quorn chicken style chunks next.

I wondered if I should increase my fat more?

I am drinking at least 6 large glasses water per day. I have been increasing my steps a bit, and tried the walking up stairs too (thanks for suggestion)

I do want to lose more quickly, it seems sooo slow for me. Rather disheartening.

Any suggestions gratefully received ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by barby
    on

Also, I still feel tired with not much energy. Surely can’t still be carb flu after a month! I am so looking forward to being energised, like many of you describe.

I used to have bad stomach pains after eating too many packets of crisps – thank goodness that has gone.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I would recommend you have a look at the dietdoctor.com website. I mention it a lot here but it really has taken my knowledge and understanding to the next level. I particularly like Jason Fung’s videos on fasting and you should look under the ‘science’ tab at a critique he wrote about that new study just out on the biggest loser. There may be some answers in there about your fatigue.

• posted by barby
    on

Thanks Janet, will do – looks like a really good site.

• posted by thepolly
    on

Hi barby, I had a week of not really losing anything but it seems to be over now… not really sure.

Hi janet 1973, I just ordered Jason Fung’s ‘The Obesity Code’ which should get here by Tuesday. Really looking forward to reading it as I think it help me understand nutrition more.

• posted by Patsy
    on

The half a bread roll could be causing the bloating. I hadn’t realised wheat products made me feel a bit bloated as I ate them every day so the feeling was normal. Since being on the diet, I have noticed it the few times I’ve eaten bread or pastry. Nothing drastic, but noticeable.

Too little fat does seem to be something to avoid with this diet. Most veggie meat alternatives are low fat, so you might need a little extra cheese or nuts to make up for that.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi thepolly, I ordered Jason fung’s book as well last night! His wallet will be chuffed! I’m great with the fasting part, I just want to understand the eating part a bit better now! Let me know what you think to the book when it arrives.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi barby
    You’re doing well. Perhaps you could fine tune by adding a long fast time to yout daily eating. Dr Mosley wrote The Fast Diet book too & fasts himself during the day. See page 153 in the BSD book. I eat in an 8 hour window ( mostly). Therefore I fast for 14 – 16 hours a day. I just have 2 meals a day. I’m T 2 Diabetic & 64yrs. I lose slowly (1 &1/2 stones in 12 weeks) but that’s just me.
    Up your fluids to 2 – 3 litres. It does make a difference. Mine is mostly water or hot fruit teas & 1Tonic water or Soda water & ice a day. Sometimes a glass of wine with a meal now. But that eats into calories! I don’t like tea or coffee.
    Look at your carbs & count them. Cut out All bread, rice, potatoes & pasta. You could have a wheat / gluten intolerance. However, if you do have you can’t be tested for it by your GP if you have already withdrawn it from your diet! The test won’t show it up! Have you spoken to your GP about bloating etc?
    You do need good fats on this diet. Count the calories though.
    Also Soy is not tolerated well by some diabetics. See Jenny Ruhl Blood Sugar 101 & Diet 101, the Truth about Low Carb Diets , books. Her web site is http://www.phlaunt.com. Excellent source of info on Diabetes & Low Carb Diet.
    Hope this helps

• posted by barby
    on

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Euereka, thanks for trying to help, very kind. I have at least 4 pints of water a day (just measured glass, approx half pint). Which is approx 2 2 litres. I will try and up it a bit.

I was fasting from about 8pm to 12 noon, not every day though, when at work it’s easier. Plus a couple of black coffees, but last few days I’ve eaten earlier.

I honestly have eaten no bad carbs all month apart from 2 regrettable incident, once half burger roll, other half scone. I do still have a diet coke a few times a week – I suppose I’d better cut that out!

My mouth and lips are very dry, and my skin also looks dry (not as good as usual) This makes me think I’m not having enough fats, but if I add more, I up my calories? Today I’ve had 611 cals – 21 carbs and 31 fat and 40 protein. I’m about to have veg soup for tea. Could stir some yoghurt into it.

Normally for breakfast (even if at noon) I have the Lidl FF Greek Yog with berries, 1 teaspoon 4 g mixed chopped nuts /seeds + teasp chia and teasp ground. linseed.

I have ordered some vitamin supplements that might help.The joke is, I am eating so much better food than before – I think my body liked living on crisps and junk, it’s taking a while to adapt.

I am feeling happier tonight though. I walked to farm for eggs, then saw my neighbour for first time in few weeks, and she commented that I’d lost weight, she could see it. I could have hugged her, first time anyone’s said anything. My trousers are also longer, without the bigger bum! It’s amazing how just one comment can improve my mood, of course it sometimes works the other way too.

It wasn’t just slow loss, but also not feeling very lively like most others, that was bothering me.

I’ll have a look at the Jenny Ruhl site, thanks.

• posted by barby
    on

I have made veg soup tonight, with sweet potatoe, broccoli, few carrots, cabbage, celery, onions,, knorr stock pot. I weighed it all and entered on MFP, it works out about 400 cals per saucepan 90 carbs) full, which was higher than I thought. I had 2 bowls as main meal, looked like sludge but tasted nice.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi barby
    If you are doing the BSD then eat 800 calories. Ditch the Coke. It cleans toilets! It dehydrates you & rots your teeth! BAD CARBS. Have I said enough yet? ๐Ÿ˜‰ Drink ducks delight – water ๐Ÿ‘Œ
    Do what fasting you want to do , if any. Don’t be swayed by me or others, OK.
    Up your fats & carbs a bit you are eating a Ketogenic diet on that level of carbs. If the body can’t take energy from carbs, you must give it more fat to convert or it will use protein from your muscles! Not good.
    See http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com. to understand what I mean. It’s a wholly different diet.
    You learn what is ok & not by reading as much as possible. Knowledge will keep you on the right path & you will understand what you are doing, not just blindly following others.
    Reread & mark the BSD book. Mine is well thumbed & pink all over with my notes in the margins. Don’t be afraid to write in books like this.
    Split your calories to support your working day.
    I was really tired all the time for three weeks before I settled into the diet, & I wasn’t working!
    It’s great when someone notices you’ve lost weight, a real fillip to your self esteem. You are doing well. Keep on keeping on. Get the knowledge.
    Eureka

• posted by Chongololo
    on

hello – Eureka has got you covered, but I just want to add – do you take an iron and B vitamin supplement? being vegetarian makes that a bit more crucial. If you don’t, then I recommend liquid iron (tastes disgusting, though) called Fabfol. My iron dives quickly so I have to watch my intake of these too :).

you would be amazed how a deficiency can make you feel, when the deficiency is gone! A good multi a few times a week when on the diet is my rule too – 800 cals doesn’t give you a lot of wriggle room.

• posted by barby
    on

Hi Chongololo Very good idea – Actually that was one of the things I was investigating, I’ve been doing a lot of reading over past 2 weeks.

I haven’t ever taken vitamins on a regular basis before, but now am taking a good multi. and some spirulina I already had. I’ve ordered vit D and also iron and B supplement yesterday! So I’ll be rattling soon. Let’s hope they make a difference. No weight change again for third day.

How are you doing now, have you managed to avoid the carbs so far? I hear you live in Perth WA? My son lived there till very recently, we went out for his wedding taking place in the Botanic Gardens one February, and boy was it hot! Amazing but so hot. Hope you shrink soon , and thanks.

Please log in or register to post a reply.