Fermented foods

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Melodeon Millie
    on

Hello everyone.

I joined this forum yesterday and today is day SIX on the 800 cal diet. So far so good!

But my main reason for my post was I saw last night someone who had been asking about fermented foods. For the life of me I can’t find it again, but I too would be very interested to know if it is something we can have?

Also, this person said s/he had been having problems with lids blowing off because of the build up of gases…….

Well, if you are in the UK, I’ve recently had a Lakeland catalogue (yes I REALLY love food) and they have started doing fermenting jars, which have a one way valve in the lid. Problem solved!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hello Melodeon Millie – welcome on board.

It might have been the ‘7 days to renew enthusiasm …’ thread on which you saw chatter about fermented foods – sauerkraut and kimchi in particular – although of course, there might be another thread also debating this topic. You can use the search box in the top right of the page, to search for particular topics to narrow down you search for a specific thread.

Very interesting that Lakeland have a fermenting jar – will take a look at that and I’m sure others will be interest to know about these too. When I made kimchi, I covered the jar with a muslin secured with an elastic band and just sat the lid on top, which allowed the gases to escape, but I guess a proper seal might be better.

Anyway to answer your question, yes we can have fermented foods and in fact, these make very healthy inclusions to our diet, as they help boost good gut flora. One must however, remember to count the calories and carbohydrates in these just as we would other foods, to make sure they fit into your daily allowance.

Hope you will soon be posting positive results and will be joining other threads to become a part of the BSD community proper. Best of luck on your BSD quest.

• posted by Melodeon Millie
    on

Thank you SunnyB for such a generous welcome and for your words of advice and encouragement.

As I won’t be going to Lakeland soon, I think your idea of muslin and a loose lid is a brilliant one and will give it a go tomorrow…… I’d only heard of kimchi on the Archers, absolutely delighted you can make it yourself and can’t wait to give it a try.

Thanks for the reminder about counting carbs and cals, do you ever get used to it? Just this minute ordered a carb counter (book) so I don’t keep having to look things up on Google all the time. Surrounded by cookery books, perhaps the 3kg I’ve already lost are from lugging them around rather than the BSD!!!

In the meantime…..

Let’s raise a glass (of water with a slice of lemon in it) to us all

Mel

Please log in or register to post a reply.