Fatty liver but don't need to lose weight

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JRAND
    on

Hi

A scan showed I have a fatty liver and a largish gallstone, and having read about the Blood Sugar diet I am sure that the cause is too much sugar and refined carbohydrate – I am more or less addicted to sugar.

My problem is that I am 5’6” tall but only weigh 116lbs. Also I don’t have diabetes. I want to embark on the Blood Sugar Diet but can’t afford to lose weight. If I just cut out sugar and refined carbs but still eat enough calories to maintain my weight will i get the benefit of the diet or is it the low calorie aspect that is of primary importance?

All advice appreciated

Thanks

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

JRAND…welcome. I am not an expert or a medical person so I am not sure if you would lose weight. However, I do believe in the benefits of low carb eating. I have been living this way for 19 months and feel much better. I would always advocate giving up or reducing the amount of refined carbs eg. Rice, Potatoes, Bread, Cakes, Pasta. I no longer eat these regularly but of course have to have the odd roast tattie at Christmas or roast dinner. Having said that…I do not regularly lose weight despite being at least 6 stone overweight (according to apps, I weigh 15 stone and my height is 5ft 4in).

My advice would be to try it for a week. You may go through carb flu if you are really a sugar addict. There are loads of books about the dangers of sugar and yet many people ignore the science. Think of it this way. Lots of the people living to 100 didn’t eat sugar and carbs to the extent the following generations did. They were the ones that were more active and fried fatty foods in fat! My mother (I am 61) was horrified when I grilled bacon. She said it lost a lot of taste lol. Give it a go and let us know how you get on. Best of luck.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by JRAND
    on

Thanks Nonna Maruy

That seems sound advice

X

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi JRAND,

I understand that some of the research suggest fructose is particularly linked to none alcohol caused fatty liver, perhaps it may be worth you investigating the research on that angle, and maybe cutting out all fruit and sources of fructose for a while?
    Thinking about it logically, the only way to reduce fat stores is to combine low carb with eating less calories than you burn, so that the body uses the fat as a fuel source.
    All of us are different, and respond differently to levels of carbs and our bodies decide to loose fat from different locations, so it will have be a try it and see approach to find out if going low carb helps you.

Please log in or register to post a reply.