fats on a low-cal diet

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by shika
    on

Hi, this is day 2; yesterday i was amazed how I was satisfied after what, on day -1, would have looked like very small portions.
    I’ve never counted calories, so this is new learning. My question is how to combine fats with a low- calorie diet. The advice is that we feel satisfied on 8oo cals because we eat lots of protein and fat. Yet 25ml (a small splash) of skim milk in coffee is 9 cal; 1 teaspoon of olive oil is 40 cals. As a vego, I don’t have meat or fish fats to count in (thank goodness). I’ve avoided fats for years, so this is a whole new way. Any clarification from others’ experience would be great.

• posted by FoFi
    on

I think that teaspoon of olive oil when put on the vegetables that I am cooking a) makes them taste nicer so the diet process is less miserable and b) seems to fill me (and others) up more than once I might have imagined. There is a high proportion of fat in this diet, but not high in absolute terms, as you imply, nothing can be that high on 800 cals.

• posted by Pat.Unlimited
    on

I know what you mean, Shika – even good fats rack up the calories! For my part, I limit my tea (up to 4 cups a day with a splash of semi-skimmed). I measure out a few nuts to eat in the afternoon and/or a spoonful of avocado to go in with my lunch salad. Although I cut fat off meat, there will be some within the flesh, and that’s included in the calorie count. I try to eat oily fish a couple of times a week, and compensate with less protein in another meal to try to balance out the calorie consumption. Personally, I cook without oil or butter – I agree they make things taste lovely, but I’d prefer to use the calories on something I can get my teeth into, quite literally. It’s a bit of a juggling act, but I’m determined to get those fats in – like you I’ve avoided fat for decades and now see the error in that. Good luck!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi all, because we are restricting calories, I try to make sure my fats are in food like avocado and yoghurt so that they are quite filling. I too was worried when I found out how many calories was in a tiny bit of olive oil. I do cook with oil and use butter in my vegetables (cauli mash is my superhero). But I count all the calories. If you like whole olives, apparently they are only 5 calories each I read on here. Cheese is also a food source and quite satisfying. Coconut oil is also a good option but I haven’t tried that yet.

• posted by shika
    on

Hi all, thank you very much for your experiences. I like the idea of putting fat into foods as already (half-way through day 4) I’m planning food carefully to get the most for every mouthful. But I notice that I want to take fats out of a meal and replace with more veg. For instance, I planned for dinner tonight to have 2 teasp sesame oil (90 cals) with steamed vegies. If I take out 1 tsp of oil , I can have: 100 gr cauliflower (25) + 100 gr squash (16). So- are there guidelines about how much fat we should be including in our 800?

• posted by Laska
    on

I’ve actually found that if I eat extra fa , (i.e olive oil or butter) I lose more (im assuming its the ketosos factor) .. I know its a bit weird given that fat is high in calories (and Im not advocating you do this ) , but I havent really been worried too much about counting them in my 800 cals (not deliberately going over IYSWIM , but not worrying too much about how much I have had either ) ..

..Ive lost 19lbs and 5 inches off my waist in my 8 weeks (am happy with that , I had 2 stone to lose to perhaps not as much as some , also was not diabetic ) , Im keeping at it until I lose another 10 lbs though ..

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Totally agree with you laska, I don’t count calories now, just carbs so I add butter to everything and am in ketosis all the time.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Same here, I’ve never counted calories.
    I just watch the carbs and eat sensible portions.
    I lost 25 and a half pounds in 8 weeks.

• posted by Smita
    on

Hi shikha
    I m new here
    I m vegetarian
    would love some support and guidance pls

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Shika
    to be brutally honest, I would have both
    The fat carries huge benefits in keeping your system busy and you feeling full, and to be honest, the extra 41 calories from the cauli and squash won’t do you much harm at all. The most important things in the diet are keeping the carbs down and the fat up.

• posted by shika
    on

Thanks, friends. I really appreciate your experiences. I especially like the advice to remember the basic bones of the diet – proteins and fats up, carbs down – and be sensible about portion sizes. I’m both counting calories in a vague way, and being common-sensical. For instance, the average for 100gr of non-starchy vegies is about 35cals; for starchy veg about 80cals. Being a vegetarian, I have always eaten lots of veg in stir-fries and curries – and guess what used to go with them? LOTS of white rice and noodles and pasta…So now I am cutting out those carbs and the weight is coming off and I still have heaps to eat. Smita, I hope you are still there. I fell off the diet for 2 weeks and am now encouraged by you all to return

• posted by Smita
    on

Hi shikha
    hv been off as its birthday week and am in dubai
    wil get bk on 11 april
    can u write to me on
    smitanaru@gmail.com
    thanks

Please log in or register to post a reply.