Fasting blood glucose reading for ideal range?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Fifo64
    on

Hi everyone, I’m not a diagnosed diabetic, but I have bought a blood glucose meter online, most mornings, fasting readings are around 5.4 upto sometimes 6.4. Please can anyone clarify the ideal fasting readings , are mine currently too high? Pre diabetic??
    I have committed to starting and I’m only on day 2 so far. Onwards and downwards……

Many thanks in advance.

• posted by Frog
    on

Odd – I just made a post and it disappeared – someone else was mentioning that happening recently

Fifo – if there wasn’t any guidance issued with the unit that you purchased, the Diabetes UK website may be a good place to start.
    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Alternatively if you’re concerned enough about whether or not you are diabetic to purchase a blood glucose meter, maybe it would be a good idea to see your GP.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Fifo

if there are no guidance notes with the testing kit that you have purchased, the diabetes UK site has useful guidance on normal blood readings.

However, if you are concerned enough about whether you have diabetes to purchase a blood glucose meter, it would probably be a good idea to see your GP.

• posted by BSD
    on

Diabete.co.uk has a very helpful chart and reading info as well.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Fifo64 , Im also not diabetic but I use my blood sugar readings as a guide to how Im traveling. According to the BSD book I am prediabetic with fasting BGL above 5.5.So I check it every morning and record it in my app.then when I feel starving or tired or in any way off .I will check again, this helps me control emotional eating. If I ague with hubby or get stressed, I usually start scoffing food but when I know my BGL is adequate around 6, I know Im not hungry and I can do something to keep busy till the hunger passes or its actually time to eat.The other trick which I tried this week was to enter all my meals that I have planned into my app in the morning,so when I check if I can have a snack ,I see that the calorie count for today is too high so no snack.This also means Im planning my meals early in the day , not eating on a whim when Im hungry. welcome to the journey

• posted by Fifo64
    on

Thank you for all your great relies. Much appreciated.

Please log in or register to post a reply.