Exercise and food

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Karen19
    on

I am new to the forum – and the website – I am keen to loose weight not least I will be able to cycle up hills easier and hopefully cheat my family genes of heart disease and type II diabetes! I am already a regular exerciser doing weights x 2 weekly and cycle about 75 miles a week. It doesn’t seem fair that weight loss has eluded me but it has and I have come round to the not all calories equal point of view. Anyway how do you manage when on 800 calories and doing a lot of exercise? I am worried when out on a strenuous 35 mile bike ride I will literally run out of energy!

• posted by fathobbitnz
    on

Keen to hear peoples opinions too Karen.
    im in similar position , gotta keep up with the pack !

• posted by fathobbitnz
    on

karen there are a few other posts with similar questions

• posted by ElizabethB56
    on

I have just started the BSD and like you I cycle to work about 3 times a week and I and do fairly strenuous rides at weekends. I did run out of energy yesterday after one steep hill and 16 miles so turned around and came home. I think we need to accept that for the first 8 weeks we cannot ride as we normally do. I plan to do what I can because the weight loss is more important. I think that performance will improve as the weight drops off. When you look at how we should exercise putting in fast sprints for a few minutes is important then just relax and enjoy the scenery. When my weight is back where it should be I will increase my calories but probably not by too many working it out as I go.

• posted by shalimar
    on

ElizabethB56 and everyone … HUGS, HELLO

I am not sure what the answer is …. except perhaps trial and error

I wonder if one could try the 800 calorie plan for a couple of weeks on moderate exercise … and see if you lost weight …. and if you do loose weight your body might get used to the calorie limit and you could gradually increase the exercise and eat the 800 calorie, perhaps putting your carbs in the hour before exercise.

Otherwise … maybe do the Mediteranean low carb plan on 4 or 5 days … the days when you do strenuous exercise … and do the fast 800 calories on the other 2 to 3 days.

Has anyone tried something like this??

I just think the body needs some lead time to get used to new things especially when it’s a big change
    ??????

• posted by FoFi
    on

Hi,
    I did very little exercise the first 2 or 3 weeks, but after that I found that I could exercise without too much difficulty. Perhaps my top speed wasn’t as high as before, and I didn’t do anything longer than an hour, but you might find it okay.
    The idea is that you will be burning fat the whole time, so your glycogen will have ‘run out’ before you started so you shouldn’t run out.
    Having done 8 weeks of this earlier this year I am now near the end of another 5 weeks. I am obsessed with many of the things I can’t have, I am looking forward to being able to have a glass of wine (this Friday, 5 weeks 1day without, but who’s counting), but when I exercise I find little impact.

• posted by MortenOsloNorway
    on

I have found that I can exercise as normal, but except for strength exercises, I do limit the length of training sessions not to exceed an hour. This is because the body stores glycogen for about an hours work. I did a 2+ hours cross country skiing session last week, that went surprisingly well but the intensity level was at easy LSD level.

One point I would make is that it appears important to get sufficient proteins. I believe it is better to reduce on the fat so that there is room in the calorie restriction to digest up to a gram of protein per kilo bodyweight per day. At least I feel that my body rests better when I get sufficient proteins, but that can very well be my imagination 🙂

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Morten

Just to echo what you say I believe that I’m sleeping better when I have higher levels of protein. I’m doing more exercise, including strength (weight and resistance) training and the days I sleep better are the days when I’v got more calories from Protein.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Dear pharma, give it up, no one is interested.

• posted by Karen19
    on

Just wonder how you are getting on? I’ve been ‘playing’ with the diet for the past few weeks but am going for it in earnest on Monday having eaten that which we should not have in the house. I have found it not too hard to exercise but have resigned myself that I won’t be major performing (am re training after major accident a few months ago). Am thinking performance improvement may come out of loosing weight !!

• posted by Landrews22
    on

Hi everyone, I was pre-diabetic but followed the BSD and now no longer in this condition. However, I now do need to start exercising but was wondering what I should eat pre/post exercise as I keep my carb intake relatively low? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks

• posted by amyhill
    on

Nice thread.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I missed the recent post on this one, regarding the question on pre-post exercise nutrition I tend to eat very lightly before exercise as I find it really slows me down, however I do try to have something within 90 minutes before exercise to maximise fat burning. I have a black coffee usually, and sometimes a protein shake, often homemade to avoid carb heavy or sweetener filled options. Post exercise, eat/drink protein and fat to help the muscles repair themselves, but make it something easy to digest.

• posted by LoganWilliamsq
    on

Hey, what you think about bananas at breakfest? Is it helpfull to youre diet?

• posted by JGwen
    on

This way of eating is about cutting out all snacks.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Arya, my post refers to someone who was trying to sell stuff to us. Medical interventions to help us diet. No thanks. Also that was 18 months ago so what are you interested in.

Please log in or register to post a reply.