Exercise

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Alfie21
    on

Hi to all fellow members who started following this diet in January. I have been walking my dog every day but afterwards I am feeling completely drained of energy. I usually walk soonish after breakfast or after lunch so it’s certainly not lack of energy due to lack of food. I have been following the 8 week plan in the recipe book and I am on week 3. Lost 6lb the first week and 3lb last week and I am due to weigh again tomorrow. I am hoping for some advice as to this weariness after walking. I am only about 1 1/2 stone overweight and not totally unfit but I just feel I have no energy with this way of eating. Will it improve?
    Thanks, in anticipation of your help and advice

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

It is likely the lower carbs in the diet that are causing this, and when your body adapts properly to getting fuel from fat you will find that with that fuel source you will not experience it any more. Keep going if you can until the adaptation is made. I can do two hours of badminton on an 800 calorie day with no extra calories and not feel any fatigue except in muscles.

• posted by Alfie21
    on

Thank you for replying. Is there a general time scale for the next stage to kick in, the fat burning stage?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I think everybody will be different, so all I can suggest is you persevere. Maybe look at the amount of carbs you are having, reducing them further may force the adaptation, or if you are already very low carb increasing them slightly may give you more energy while the adaptation continues.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Alfie

I was exactly the same last week, walking my dogs. On a couple of days I even had to stop and rest on what was my normal dog walk (about 3 miles, quite hilly in places), and once I got home it was taking a couple of hours for me to feel any where near normal again. My weakness lasted about 3 days, and hit in my first week, but apparently everyone’s body can take a different time to switch from burning carbs to burning fat – I googled it and it can take up to 6 weeks, although the average appears to be 2 – 3 so you appear to be right on track. It’s not very pleasant, but try to think of it as a good thing, it means your body is adjusting to your new way of eating, and it should pass soon.

Good luck and keep on keeping on.

• posted by Alfie21
    on

That’s really helpful, thank you. Will persevere!

• posted by blissfulbabe
    on

If you have dropped your carb levels quite significantly you may have a form of ‘keto flu’ which is caused by low electrolytes. Try upping your salt/magnesium/potassium levels. I find a cup of miso broth works for me but some people recommend a cup of hot bovril or homemade bone broth. Magnsium supplements can be useful (and help you to avoid problems in the loo department) and avocados and spinach both have a lot of potassium.

It does get better but if you are cutting back on carbs and drinking a lot of water you will be excreting more electrolytes so have to work harder to keep your levels up.

• posted by LindaA
    on

I did a 48 hour fast not that long ago (water, salt and bone broth only) and still managed my 2-3 hour walks without feeling any different, but I am fat adapted and in full ketosis. Just persevere, you’ll be fine, it’s still early for you.
    Cheers
    Linda

Please log in or register to post a reply.