End of 1st week

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Eric Thrib
    on

Hi
    Just at the end of the first week of 800 cals and feeling a little strange. I have fibromyalgia and severe osteitis arthritis in my knees, but the “fibro fog) is much reduced and the only way I can describe how I feel is its like my brightness level has been turned up! Have lost 8lbs and can really feel it …… Hooray!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Eric! Welcome to the BSD forums! Your experience with fibromyalgia mirrors a lot of others experiences with inflammatory issues (mine too) — this way of eating seems to have a huge anti-inflammatory effect — I had a chronically inflamed knee tendon that had bothered me for two years at least — it got better, got worse, got better, got worse — but since March when I started BSD, it has gotten better and better and I am now hiking this summer with no pain. It seems to me that the diet should be studied for its anti-inflammatory properties. Anyway, welcome and we’ll see you on the posts!
    Julia

• posted by Eric Thrib
    on

Hi Julia
    Just one wee thing I’m a woman and my name is Chris – couldn’t get system to accept that! Further to the fibro, I’m amazed how different that is and I’ve noticed that my arms are much slimmer, didn’t expect that!
    New week starts tomorrow – upward and onward!
    Regards Chris

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hey Chris AKA Eric! LOL! Very sorry to assume you were of the Y chromosome persuasion 😜😜 actually these days it’s the old President Clinton’s “don’t ask don’t tell” especially with regard to single gender bathrooms — we have gone off the deep end in the US with regard to how to decide which gender uses which bathroom (I just don’t care but many really do). But back to BSD stuff — i really do think there is something here regarding inflammation — I did a bit of reading on it and in the 1950’s a Royal Navy surgeon Thomas Cleave developed a theory that all disease was related to consumption of refined carbohydrates. –his theory was bolstered by his brother’s experience as a POW in Japan. There was a lot of research on this but researchers didn’t separate out the refined/sugar part of the carbohydrates and so the focus ended up going toward the role of animal fat (which has been hammered home to us all since the early 1980’s). Meanwhile people like you and me are seeing results on low carb diets. Oh also, they treat epilepsy in children with low carb diets. I hope more research comes out soon. It is practically criminal to encourage 8-11 servings of bread/ grains per day (US food pyramid).

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi
    I have also experienced a total remission of my semi diagnosis of S.L.E. There is a lot of research around polysaturates omega 6 I will have to find the link LindaA gave me. It indicates SLE. ME. ( MS I think don’t quote me. ) Asthma. Allergies. Interesting times. It’s so good to have an improvement of debilitating sometimes life threatening conditions isn’t it. Keep up the good work
    Regards jan😊😊😊

• posted by Eric Thrib
    on

Hi Julia
    Like Dr Mosley says in his book, we were forever told that low fat was the way forward – plenty of veg and bread. Pasta and potatoes which of course has never and will never work!
    I’ve always said I didn’t believe in diets and that with everything in moderation all would be well but when I reached 95kgs and type 11 it was time for drastic action. Also I’ve had fibromyalgia for 30 years and have taken anti inflammatory melds and morphine to control the pain.
    Now at the end of the first week of the BSD, I have lost 14lbs and an inch off my waist – I was so amazed I had to check my starting weight as I thought I’d made mistake!!! I also read about Cleaves and hope research will continue and reduce the need for bariatric surgery πŸ˜€πŸ˜€ Chris

• posted by Eric Thrib
    on

Hi Jan
    This diet is like a miracle! Can’t believe how reduced my pain levels are, had years of trying to convince a previous doctor that my pain wasn’t all in my mind! Which I was repeatedly told, I eventually got a diagnosis in 2004
    When I was diagnosed with type 11 my doctor said ( as we’ve come to expect) the disease was progressive – when you’ve got it it can only get worse. I already knew about Professor Taylor’s work and I told her I would do the 5-2 diet. My bs levels returned to normal but due to some hectic family things I went back to a usual diet and up went the levels. This time there will be no back sliding. Good luck with yours Chris

• posted by Eric Thrib
    on

Hi all
    I have lost 16 lbs and an inch of my waist but my poor husband has lost nothing in weight but one and a half inches off his waist so some thing must be happening!
    I was thinking, my diet was very carb heavy to put it mildly!! But my husbands isn’t – I wondered if that was the reason he has yet to lose any weight?
    What does any one else think cheers Chris

Please log in or register to post a reply.