Encouragement to new starters

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by KG1
    on

I have just completed my sixth week on the plan and wanted to let new starters know how I have found it so far. Fortunately I do not have Diabetes but have high BP and being overweight and in my late 50’s felt I was at risk so read The Blood Sugar Diet book and decided to try it. The results have been amazing, I had a starting weight of 16st5lb and today 6 weeks in I’m 2 stone down!

The first ten days I did feel hungry at times but that settled down and since then I have been ok, I have increased my activity by walking 5 times a week for a brisk 45 minutes and hope to introduce swimming in the next few weeks.

If your considering doing it, read the book and go for it, weigh your food and count the calories of everything you put in your mouth! I wrote it all down so I could keep a log. Good luck new starters!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hello KG1 good to hear you are having great success on the plan. Shows it works but you have to put in the effort yourself, it is not magic, just magical. Look forward to your future updates.

• posted by KG1
    on

Thank you, yes you”re right it’s magical and i”ll update again in two weeks when I complete the 8 weeks. Have you found it works for you?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I am diabetic so was interested in reducing my BG and getting off insulin. Results so for (9 months veteran) BG down from 8.2 to 5.4, insulin reduced from 38 units to 22, glycazides down from 90mg to 60mg. Weight down 25lbs. It could be better but life gets in the way sometimes and I believe I will live with this way of eating for life so have to factor in treats and holidays etc. My long term goal is to be insulin free and another 25 or so lbs to lose. I have been diabetic for 12 years so dont think the miracle of no diabetes will happen but to be in control of my body and my life without fear for future illnesses and more drugs is the best I can hope for. No one and nothing has ever given me that hope before.

• posted by KG1
    on

That”s fantastic, to feel you are in control must be rewarding, I’m only a novice and have a way to go but like you if in 9 months I feel I finally have control of my wieght I shall be very satisfied.

• posted by Smannersjones
    on

Thanks that’s really encouraging and congratulations on doing so well! I’m only in my first week and now the headaches had gone I’m starting to feel better:-). I can’t find any advice on what you are allowed to drink. I’ve just been sticking to water. Is there abything else do you know?

Thanks so much, Sarah

• posted by KG1
    on

Well done for getting going! I have had a coffee each morning and a tea in the afternoon but other than that I have stuck to water. What I have found is that even though I have been drinking at least 2 litres of water each day if I’ve woken at night I have felt been really thirsty. Glad your headaches have passed just stick with it. Good luck.

• posted by Salamander
    on

Completely fed up with carrying the ‘baby weight’ after 14 years (that’s my excuse anyway), I invested in the Blood sugar diet book a few weeks ago quickly followed by the Blood Sugar Diet Recipe Book. Completely inspired by the stories and the ‘science’ behind it, I decided to give it a go to try and kickstart my metabolism and try and stop my constant battle with hunger….

So I’ve followed the diet to the letter – not following the diet plan as drawn up but devising my own choices from the recipes available in both books and honestly I’ve been very surprised. I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve eaten and only had one instance throughout the week where I felt a bit hungry which was resolved by 6 walnut halves.

My first weigh in has been amazing with a 10lb loss and I’m now into my second week feeling positive and very happy!

800 calories doesn’t sound a lot but the food has been really fulfilling and enjoyable.

Happy Sal!

• posted by aussiecarolyn
    on

Inspiring to read your stories. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Nabs
    on

Wow this thread is full of good news! Thanks for sharing your stories. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by KG1
    on

Thought I would update you having today finished my 8 weeks on the plan! Looking back the time has flown but at the beginning it was daunting, I am so very pleased I read the Michael Mosely’s book.

My total wieght loss in 8 weeks has been 2st 6lb…..I’ve decided as it works so well I will continue for another 5 weeks which will take me to my holiday.

To anyone just starting or in the esrly days I would recommend making the Falafels in the 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet book, bit messy with beetroot but tasty, I substituted the beetroot for carrot the second time I made them and tried different spices to make a change, in the book it states it makes 2 servings but I made 14 small Falafels which calculates at less than 50 cals per Falafel, I would have 2 or 3 with a salad delicious.

Good luck to you all and thanks for reading this.

• posted by Salamander
    on

Amazing KG1! Well done on the weight loss!!!!

I am on week 3 and am really encouraged by my weight loss so far. I have a few family occasions and a holiday within my 8 week window but I am determined this will not stop me and lead me on a dangerous path. It helps that I’m loving the food and have a load of recipes in mind that I want to try. I just need to start incorporating my diet into family mealtimes….

• posted by KG1
    on

Pleased to hear your doing well and feeling focused. I’ve found it has been important to plan my meals, that way I have something to look forward too. I have found over the weeks that my husband has liked the look of my meal so next time I’ve made it his had the same. Keep going you’re nearly half way through the 8 weeks and I found it got easier.

• posted by gerrystamp
    on

Hi KGI, very interested to read your post and it’s great to see your results! Am starting the 5/2 tomorrow just to start as I need to lose 4st really and right now, it seems insurmountable. Was thinking about joining the on line diet starting in June – am not diabetic, just way too heavy. I’d love any feedback. Thanks. Gerry ๐ŸŒˆ

• posted by didimarks
    on

Hi KGI,
    Your inspiring post was just what I needed. I’ve been slowly gaining weight for the last two years. Digging my head in the sand and flitting from one way of eating to another without any success. I have 2 family lunches coming up..one this Saturday and a big do the following Saturday. I tried my dress on that I’m wearing in 10 days time. It looked good in August and was definitely a little on the large size….it’s now very fitted and I have realised I finally have to knuckle down and get on with it! No more excuses. It’s obviously going to be too late to look fabulous for the family event, but even if I look less bloated I’ll be happy. I have 7 and a half weeks until I go and visit family in Austria and am starting to dread it.. your post was timely and encouraging. I certainly won’t manage to lose 2 stone in 6 weeks (!) but even 12 pounds would be fantastic.

Start properly tomorrow, but careful day today!

800 cals seems like a very little, but I will also eat later in the day so hopefully I’ll manage it – scared, but hopeful!

• posted by KG1
    on

Congratulations Gerry on deciding to get going, to start just focus on the first week, probably the hardest but stick with it and remember my mantra ‘every ounce counts’! Plan your meals, write down everything you put in your mouth and I kept a log of my weekly losses for encouragement. As I have lost wieght I’ve been more active and now do a brisk walk at least five times a week for about 45 minutes, just try and move more. Go for it!

• posted by KG1
    on

Thank you for reading my post and delighted you feel encouraged by it. You may only have 10 days to the party but if you stick with it you’ll be amazed how much better you will feel within yourself and this will give you confidence. Seven weeks to your holiday is long enough to begin to really make a difference and at the end of the day its not only about size it’s about being healthier. You can do it!

• posted by didimarks
    on

Thank you KG1. You’re absolutely right about feeling healthier..rather than focusing on size. I feel like I have so much inflammation at the moment as well as the emotional negativity.
    Here goes!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.