Eight weeks completed

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Robion
    on

Hi all
    This is the first time I have put my experience on the forum although I have been reading a lot of comments and have been inspired to go on. I am 66 years old type 2 diabetic and have been since July 2007 and pre before that. I was 116.4 kg before I started on the 800 calories for 8 short weeks and now I have arrived it didn’t seem that long. I have lost 13.7kg about 30lbs. during the 8 weeks. I have stopped my simvastatin, Gliclazide , Linagliptin , and reduced my Metformin all with the knowledge of my GP.
    I now believe that the hard work is going to start and that is to keep my carbs low. I am looking at potato, rice, bread, and pasta as a person with a nut allergy would look at nuts, because if I eat them my blood sugar will go up (an allergic reaction) although I will have a little on rare occasions I must say after 8 weeks I don’t crave them. I am now on 1000 calories and finding it quite hard to reach as my thinking won’t let me eat the wrong food strange but true I hope this feeling lasts.
    Week one was very challenging but very rewarding with a loss of 3kg
    Week two I was quit hungry but pushed on I found that if I had 3 meals of about 200cal each and 3 snacks with the rest I could cope better. Some days I went up to 850 calories.
    I had a problem in week 4 with my bowel this can still be a little erratic but no problem. I was also a little depressed as I was on a plateau for about 4days although my bloods were ok with reduced meds. I weigh myself every day straight out of bed.
    Week 5 I pulled myself together and started to lose weight again back on a high.
    Week 6 and 7 they just flew past still losing weight and good blood sugar.
    Week 8 this was a long week with ups and downs with my weight but finally arrived
    I believe that if I go back to eating starchy food on a regular basis I will need to increase my medication even though I have lost weight
    I am now going to start the 5:2 or even 4:3 using 800 calories and keep monitoring my weight and sugar.
    Good luck and stay in focus you can do it and you will do it and reap the benefit of your hard work

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Congratulations Robion on a fantastic result, you must be really pleased to see so much success, and reduction of your meds, with presumably the potential of your coming off Metformin too, if your great progress continues.

Thanks so much for posting, it makes a huge difference to people just starting, or perhaps having a bit of a plateau.

🙂

• posted by Izzy
    on

Congratulations and well done for completing your 8 weeks 🙂

Thanks for posting your story!

• posted by Robion
    on

Thank you all for your comments and good wishes.
    I forgot another part of my success was walking, I use a fit bit and aim for 10,000 steps each day .
    I usually manage 10000 once or twice a week but most days it is about 7500 steps.
    Going on holiday soon I am looking forward to the Mediterranean diet as this is the direction I am going to follow when on the 5:2

Please log in or register to post a reply.