Easter Bus Tour

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

DCT your post made me smile. I love all sorts of music, and I love dancing too. No wonder I was slim back in the day, I used to go out with my friends and we’d literally be dancing for 5 or 6 hours at least.
    I love Disco inferno – it’s one song that always makes me want to get up and move 🙂
    And I was just watching Love Actually (again!) last night and enjoyed watching Hugh Grant dancing down the stairs.
    And yes Saturday Night Fever – I was in high school when the movie came out and my friends and I were so excited when the local cinema screened a modified version of the movie that was suitable for under 15s 🙂 Disco music and music from the 80s is still my favourite.
    My favourite motivational song is St Elmos Fire – in the early 2000s I was on a health kick (one of numerous!) and I got a whizz-bang exercise bike. I put together a sound track on my MP3 player and used to ride the bike for 45 mins EVERY night – no excuses. Anyway St Elmos Fire was the last song on the playlist and just when I thought I had no energy left this song would spur me on 🙂

Yowzer – wow what a story! I have many work stories where I have worked with different bullies and creeps but no murderers (to my knowledge!)

Cathy – you did the right thing, life is too short to be spending it unhappy, and at least you gave it a week. I lasted just the morning in a job once – the lady I had to
    Work for was so rude and nasty and a horrible bully that after 3 or 4 hours I realised I just didn’t want to be there. So I walked out at lunch time, said I’d be back in an hour, then organised another job with a temp agency and that afternoon was sitting at a desk in a new workplace.
    I couldn’t help but wonder what the other place was thinking when I didn’t return from my lunch break!

As to diet and this bus journey, I didn’t lose anything this week but wasn’t surprised after my off plan, 2nd Xmas last weekend. I think I’ve lost what I would have gained during those 2/3 days off plan. Anyway I’m still strapped into my seat on the bus and gripping tightly to the hand rail while we are all navigating these speed humps and pot holes!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

First of all I want to congratulate Cathy for walking away from a really bad situation. Many years ago I worked for a man who’s sole purpose was to get rid of long serving staff because they were on the highest pay scale and bring in new people on basic pay. I didnt think it would affect me as I wasnt that high up but I slowly watched my own bosses and others either leave or get the sack. When he started on me no-one stood up for me, just like no-one stood up for the others. I ended up having a nervous breakdown and thought about suicide rather than go to work but I had all those thoughts like I needed the money, I had a family to support. If I had just walked away I might have been a different person, not so scare of authority and marched my own path. On top of that, I had made wrong turns in my life with ended up badly. Fortunately, I had a good doctor. But, not a bad ending, we had a man come to work with me and I knew he was still in prison and this was his day release leading up to parole. I used to give him a lift back to the prison each evening as it was on my way. One day I was getting very cross with my mother over something and I just said ‘oh I could gladly kill her’. He said ‘yes, I know what you mean, that’s what I did’. So he had murdered his mother. Didnt know any details but I felt a bit wary knowing he could do something like that in temper.

We have had interesting lives and experiences. My family say I should write a book but it would bring back too many demons.
    Slightly off piste and getting a bit morbid.

So how are we all getting on with our journey. I had a little blip on Thursday due to absolutely no reason and it nearly sent me off track but I held out. Next day I was back down and today lost even more. So it is worth sticking with it when the going gets tough. Only 1lb (0.4kg) to my pre-Christmas weight, taking my back under the 12 stone mark so something positive to aim for on my Tuesday weigh in on the Weekly thread.

Keep on keeping on everyone and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Oh wow loads of interesting stuff to read here!
    We sure get to talk about a lot of good topics as we ride along the highway!
    The Midnight Library sounds great! Its fascinating to think of how different life may turn out depending on paths we took,didn’t take,decisions made,not made. Like SUNSHINEGIRL ive taken a few wrong turns,but sometimes we just dont know til later that we have made a bad choice. Wdnt it be great if we could do it all again with the benefit of hindsight,and avoid all those tricky times.
    SUNSHINE Im so sorry that awful job impacted so much on your mental health XXXX
    Disco Inferno is such a fun song! 🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶
    DD used to make me tapes to listen to while i exercise biked..my favourite from then was Big Sur by The Thrills..upbeat lively sound to keep me pedalling!
    I also lasted just one Monday morning in a job. I had left my previous job on the Friday,complete with leaving do and gifts…hated the Monday morning job,a nasty atmosphere there. I called in to see my old colleagues Monday lunchtime. One of them said,Shall I ask the boss if you can have your old job back? Started back the following day,amongst lots of Who’s the new girl jokes!
    Enjoy the weekend,folks!❤️💜

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.Ive been reading all the posts.Im travellong slowly .sometimes sticking to plan but still having too much bread.this week I’m focussed on more sleep and starting some exercise. Also not focussed on scales till weigh in on 1st Feb.best wishes to all ,especially in lockdown.

• posted by Busybee
    on

As you must have gathered my plans for 2021 aren’t going well!
    I think it may be because I decided not to weigh until the end of each month – I’m making excuses to eat the bad stuff and telling myself it’s ok as I’m not weighing for another few weeks. My heart just hasn’t been in it.
    So, I stepped onto the scales this morning and I have gained even more weight which explains why my knees have been worse over the past weeks!!!!!
    I’m cross with myself and need to get a grip.
    Here we go again!!!!!
    I’m still going on with O.D.A.A.T., will attempt to eat between 800 & 900 calories of low carb food each day, and will try to do a little more walking.
    I must sound like a record spinning round with the same old resolutions being repeated though I’m still on the bus hiding under the stairs!
    X B

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Busybee, I just wanted to say hello and so glad you’re still on the bus! You’re not the only one who sometimes feels like she’s a record, or wants to hide on the bus. We’ve all been there, and at any one time, someone else will be feeling exactly as you are.

Seeing as you like to work ODAAT I wonder about maybe starting to weigh yourself every day? I do that as a matter of course. I used to panic if the weight went up but now understand that it does fluctuate anyway, and also that there are very many positives that are not scale-related. But I do like to feel up to date with my numbers, and to see what differences there are from day to day. It makes me feel a bit more in control I guess, and also prevents denial: if I feel big and bloated then I can expect to see that on the scales.

We’re all different, so do what’s right for you, but I find it helps to keep me on track – or at least to know when I am going off track! And also helps keep at the forefront of my mind that I am on a weight loss journey. At the end of each week, I also record my lowest weight that week. So even if I’ve had a bad few days (which I often do) there’s hopefully something positive to look at from some point during the week.

Whatever you decide, do stay with us. We’re all in the same boat – well, on the same bus! – and will end up at our destination one of these fine days X

• posted by Busybee
    on

Thank you for your reply and support DCT.
    I have always weighed daily until this year when I thought I would try monthly.
    My problem is that when I see a loss I’m on top of the world and motivated but no loss tips me into comfort eating.
    Also to be honest I’m fed up (excuse the pun) with being fat, being on a diet, picking food to eat when I would rather eat something else, and clothes not fitting – I have been doing this since I was 15 and now I’m 74!
    X B
    Perhaps I will try weighing weekly to see how that goes. I just have to be stronger
    X B

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

BUSYBEE..T.S.Eliot said April is the cruellest month ( from his work,The Wasteland,which interestingly he wrote after last century’s pandemic) but I think January is THE hardest month..we want comfort food coz its cold and dark,we miss the goodies and twinkly sparkly lights of xmas..and of course,this January,we’re all laid low by corona worries,which is an extra whammy.
    So,as your fellow triplet(!) I just want to say “ Try” ..just do the best you can for now. If its not perfect in that the carbs arent as low as you wd like,just make them as low as you can manage. Damage limitation for a week or two.
    As long as you dont go off the deep end and binge! Wont help your knees or yr wardrobe or your state of mind!
    You might feel more up to being strict in Feb…..In the meantime,the bus will still be rollin’ along with you on board!
    (I know some folks who wont contemplate BSd,fasting,Slimming World,or whatever, until spring,and they’ve got a valid point !)
    O.D.A.A.T.
    🎶🎶🎶🎶 “We’ll be rolling along,singing a song,side by side!” 🎶🎶🎶.🎶🎶🎶
    A song younger passengers wont know,its from wayyyyyy back,but I remember my Gran singing it x

• posted by Mariet
    on

Busybee, I am so on your page! I gained a stone in the 12 month from this date last year and am now unable to wear most of my clothes. I knew it was happening and my stupid response was not to weigh myself until I felt I’d turned it around- except that I didn’t. When I realised things were getting serious (Spring, lighter clothing) I was so upset and tried to get back on it but in fact really sabotaged myself even more, though not as badly as I had been all year. I was almost back to the same weight I was in 2017 🙁 I was so sick and tired of the whole thing, just as you described!
    Somehow, after Christmas something in my attitude changed and at last I am seeing progress, both with choices and results. Seems I have to get to rock bottom before I can make myself do what I need to do. So I am weighing, measuring, recording, keeping track of exercise and weighing daily. Everyone is different but it’s working for me. I even have a graph on my spreadsheet with a trend line and it does give me a lift when it trends down!
    This is my weigh day, Tuesdays always have been since I started this WOE. I have a modest loss of half a pound this week which I am quietly thrilled about because I have been able to follow the WOE this week without struggling.
    Keep on keeping on, find your WHY, like JGwen says. It does make it easier.
    Just to through out a NSV while I am here, I am not supposed to measure until next week according to my spreadsheet but I did do it today and it’s hard for me to believe but I have lost 4cm from my waist, 1cm from my lower belly and 5cm from my hips since Boxing day. That’s even better than a result on the scales! Hoping now that it’s not measurer error…
    Best wishes to all who are struggling, we’re in it for the long haul but we can get there with perseverance and support.

cheers,
    Mariet

• posted by Busybee
    on

Thank you Yowzer (again) and Mariet for replying to my words of woe!
    Yowzer, I found myself singing’Rolling Along’ which cheered me up no end.
    I’m feeling a little stronger and back on track and will try not to be so hard on myself.
    My friends laugh at me as they know I am an all or nothing person in all aspects of life. They call it my D P – dichotomous personality!
    Here I go again!
    O.D.A.A.T.
    X B

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Busybee- I feel the same as you do. I can’t seem to get into the swing of things at the moment. I don’t think lockdown is helping me and I have a friend who is fighting for her life in ICU with Covid pneumonia so that has completely derailed me! However, Mariet’s response resonated too. Once we come out of lockdown and can see family and friends again and once we try and squeeze into our clothes, we will be annoyed with ourselves if we don’t knuckle down now. So, I’ve had a cup of coffee this morning and I am going to have a boiled egg for lunch and I am going to do this one meal at a time until I can get myself back on track. BusyBee, we have just simply taken a wrong turn. Lots of sensible advice from our friends in the thread. I like DCT idea of noting the lowest weigh of the week. I am going to work at getting myself back in control and will weigh myself as planned on 1st February. I know I am going to be disappointed when I get on the scales and see how much weight I’ve put on over Christmas but I don’t wish to be insulted by the scales today! Once a month will do for me.
    I decided that was how I wanted to play the game over Christmas and give myself a week (or three) off plan but at that time I didn’t anticipate another national lockdown, a disastrous new job and my friend being admitted with Covid when I got back on the bus. So, I am not going to beat myself up any more and will simply dust myself down and get the road map out again and get singing “side by side” with my fellow travellers knowing that we will all at some point take a wrong turn – let’s enjoy the ride.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Cathy and Busybee just wanted to let you know I can sympathise completely.
    I have been on this BSD journey for 4 years now and am still struggling to lose weight. Actually I have been trying to lose weight and maintain for the best part of 40 years now!
    I’m always reminded of John Lennon’s line “Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans”.. how true this is! I start out each diet journey with such good intentions and plans, go fine for a while and then life happens and my plans go pear-shaped.
    I think all we can do is be kind to ourselves and keep trying – we haven’t failed until we stop trying.
    I’ve been finding it harder this week, I have a few family issues happening and the stress takes its toll at times, and I reach for the wine, and then undo my good work. Then I’ll be back on track and okay for a few days until the cycle begins again!

• posted by caronl
    on

SueBlue we haven’t failed until we stop trying. Thank you for posting that. xxx

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone
    So, I joined this thread on the 9th Jan but haven’t really focused on BSD or posted since then. But I’m here now and ready to start focusing properly again. I remember KazzUK saying one January that she was going to hunker down, keep going, and emerge like a butterfly from her chrysalis in Spring. That’s my plan. Fingers crossed xx

DCT – I am OK thanks. My brother died suddenly and unexpectedly which is why I left the Countdown to Christmas thread. As a wider family we definitely had a tough time during November and December, sadly like so many other families. Anyway, I just wanted to explain what happened and thank everyone for their best wishing posts, including yours, Wendyleg, (One Week At A Time thread) which I also read. xx

Oh, and I really enjoyed the Christmas Cracker jokes which really made me smile. Thanks everyone.

Jennie xx

on

Hi Jennie
    Please accept my condolences on the sudden and unexpected loss of your brother. So many sad stories over the last year.
    Its lovely to see that you are ready to come back on board the Easter Bus and I love the image of you emerging from your chrysalis as a butterfly in spring. We could all be beautiful butterflies flying out of the tour bus together if we knuckle down together – what a wonderful sight that would be. A few of us have had a slow January start but as SueBlue said we haven’t failed until we stop trying and we are all trying so hard in spite of challenges that we face.
    Let’s do our best and I am going to imagine myself as a beautiful butterfly In Springtime.- a wonderful image. I think I would like to be a small, 🦋 blue, beautiful butterfly when I emerge!

• posted by Busybee
    on

I would be happy to be a large (rather than xxxxl) pink butterfly emerging in the spring!
    X B

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

JENNIE commiserations,so sorry to hear your news,RIP your dear brother 💜 xx
    Love your butterfly idea …..I’ll emerge as a big red spotted flutterby! XXX
    Roll on springtime! ….Song for the bus..well for us oldies who remember it..
    🌷🌷🌷🌷🎶🎶🎶When its Spring again,I’ll bring again..Tulips from Amsterdam…🎶🎶🎶🌷🌷🌷🌷xxxxxxx

• posted by Busybee
    on

Jennie, I’m so sorry for your loss and sending virtual hugs.
    Also thinking about those in UK who are having to deal with flooding and evacuation alongside Covid. Keep safe.
    Yowzer, I’m on the bus singing along with you –
    Ding-a-ling!

X B

• posted by caronl
    on

Jennie, I am so sorry to hear of your loss, and the difficult months your family has had. Wishing you lots of strength.

Your comment about butterflies made me consult Wikipedia. After long consideration, I have opted for the Adonis blue. Gorgeous. I also checked out what the Adonis Blue caterpillar looked like. I wonder if a renewed 8 week push would transform me in the same way! To be honest though, the only way I can tackle this is one day at a time – or even one hour at a time. I am just too distracted by this b….y virus. As all routes from the UK to here close down, I just keep praying that my parents (both 90+) stay healthy. Really difficult times. And still no vaccinations available for them in London/SE! Pleased to hear that other people are having more success with jabs.

OK ding a ling Yowser, Busybee, Cathy, SueBlue and other fellow passengers. I shall stick at it! xxx

• posted by sprox
    on

Hiya
    I’d like to hop on board 🙂
    I’m a newbie to this WOE, just registered this morning after reading a few threads.
    I’ll pop an intro in the weekly post

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Welcome SPROX,good to meet you.
    Jump aboard and join our happy gang!XXXXX 🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

• posted by sprox
    on

Thanks 🙂
    Got to say, I love sunflowers 🌻 so thanks for those too!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, Jennie so sorry to hear of your loss. These are terrible times and some of us will never recover even if we personally dont catch the virus. So much loss, family, friends, jobs, confidence. So much taken away from us. I want to be optimistic and see a way out of this now. Hubby is booked for his first jab on 1st Feb and 2nd jan on 25th Feb. I cant book mine yet as I am too young but diabetes sufferers should be close to the top of the list. France almost gave up on the old peoples homes as so many people refused it or couldnt legally (French beauracracy) consent so they opened it up to people over 75 in the general population. At least that way they know the people booking actually want it.

We have tiny blue butterflies around the lakes here but I dont know what they are called . If I were to be a butterfly I might be a Monarch Butterfly as they live a long time. As for flowers, here in France we are surrounded (not literally) by sunflowers and they are lovely to see but they are left on the plant to die so they can dry out and be harvested for their seeds. At least they are useful as well as beautiful.

Keep on travelling all…

on

Sprox hello and welcome! It’s so exciting that you’re just starting out on this WOE. Wishing you every success in achieving your goals.

Jennie I was so sorry to read about your brother. You and your family have been going through a terrible time, and I just hope that all your friends on the BSD forums can be of some help and comfort at this time.

Like others, I love the butterfly analogy. I think it’s so relevant not just to our weight loss journey but also the difficult times we are living through. I dabble in music and songwriting, and during the first lockdown wrote a song called Butterfly that compares these dark days to being trapped in a chrysalis, but emerging stronger and better at the end. If I ever get round to recording it I’ll send you a link!

Hope everyone else on here is ok and managing to make some kind of progress? Every small step counts. Talking of small steps, I’m just off to do my weekly shop. I always remember someone on here (caronl?) saying that it’s easier to say no to a tempting item once in the supermarket than repeatedly in the kitchen. So I’m going to do my best to buy all the right things and none of the wrong ones!

Hope you all have a good few days X

on

Sunshinegirl our posts crossed! I resonate with what you are saying about the long term effects of Covid. How could we possibly have imagined all this just one year ago.

I’m so pleased your hubby has dates for his vaccine, and hope you can get yours as soon as possible afterwards. As you say, it brings a bit of hope that there is a way out of all this.

Love the butterfly choices, and from former holidays in France I can just visualise all those beautiful sunflowers. And I loved the lavender too. We have lavender in the garden but it never smells – or even looks – as gorgeous as the French lavender!

Stay well X

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Happy Friday all 🙂
    Well it’s Friday morning where I am (Sydney) anyway!
    After 17 days on my latest attempt I am down 2.6kgs. I was the same after 5 days I think but then had a gain and have now lost that again.
    The last week wasn’t perfect but it wasn’t all bad either. This got me thinking, and I wonder sometimes if we are too hard on ourselves. So for example my goals/aims for this week were to have 5 x 800 calorie days, eating 16:8 TRE and 6 alcohol free days. As usual things didn’t go to plan but instead of dwelling on what I DIDN’T achieve, I thought I’d try and change my thinking and focus on what I HAD achieved – 2 x 800 calorie days, TRE hours of 14:10 and 12:12 all week and 5 out of 7 days with no wine.
    I thought back to when I was at school and although I used to put a lot of effort in to my work, I never expected to get 100% in my assignments and exams, I was always happy to get 70% and above – so why now as an adult do I expect perfect results 100% of the time?
    Sorry this is rambling a bit! But anyway this is going to be one of my goals now, to focus on achievements, no matter how small they are 🙂

I’m enjoying all of the talk about flowers, sunshine and butterflies. I like the idea of emerging as a beautiful butterfly – much nicer thought than emerging as a big, ugly bogan moth anyway! There’s plenty of sunshine here at the moment, we are heading for a heatwave over the next 5 days or so.
    My favourite flowers are daffodils, they always remind me of spring time.in England. I do also love the flowers on my red flowering gum tree, I sat in the garden yesterday evening and was watching the parrots and lorikeets feeding on them, they make such a racket but i enjoyed watching them for a whole. Afterwards I realised I had practiced some mindfulness, which is something I’m trying to do more of.

Jennie – so sorry to hear about your brother, take care and be kind to yourself x

Also sending love and my thoughts to all of my friends in the UK and Europe that are being hit so hard with Covid and lockdown. Everyone was so glad to see the back of 2020 but 2021 isn’t shaping up any better sadly.
    Things have settled down again in Sydney, masks are still mandatory in some indoor settings which I am grateful for. Although there has been zero community transmission for a few days, I worry that it is only a matter of time before there is another outbreak.’As I have impaired immunity I’m still living under lockdown conditions – I can’t believe I have been doing this for 10 months now, it really has become a way of life for me, as I’m sure it has for many of us now. Take care all x

• posted by Mariet
    on

Wise words SueBlue. I was irritated with myself for choices I made last night- I went out for Trivia and the special was Lobster Au Gratin. A half lobster, when I haven’t had lobster for ages. So even though it was in a white sauce I chose it and even ate some hot chips and it was so delicious. It’s my first deviation for more than a fortnight and I was cross with myself this morning but you are right, it’s more productive to celebrate that there haven’t been more stumbles than to obsess about that.
    Otherwise I’m plugging away. We have a heat wave ahead of us; I don’t mind the days so much but trying to sleep when my bedroom is still 28deg is impossible, even with a fan. Each summer I decide I’m going to get air conditioning in my bedroom and each winter I decide it’s not necessary 🙁 At least when it’s so hot it’s easy to drink lots of water and I won’t have much of an appetite, looking on the bright side.
    My heart goes out to you all in UK and Europe, your lives have been tossed around so much, it must seem surreal. Best wishes that the vaccinations help to alleviate the situation soon.

• posted by Busybee
    on

It’s very quiet on the bus!
    I know we’ve been asked to stay at home here in the UK, but we can continue our trip with our virtual friends.
    I’m still hanging on at the back struggling to get my mojo back. However, I am feeling better and ready to start the journey again.
    X B

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Busybee, Just thought I would give you a hand to get back on! Today has been a better day. I actually gave a bit of thought to lunch, and prepared a smoked trout salad with hard boiled egg, radishes, cucumber, spring onion, lettuce and a mustard vinaigrette. It felt like a real treat. I think I had got a bit bored with omelettes! Will probably fast tonight, and then maybe I shall be in a new (but very familiar) kilo tomorrow… I am fighting some serious Covid blues at the moment. Next step is to do an Internet singing lesson. Have a good weekend one and all. xx

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi BUSYBEE 🐝 and everyone,Hope all wrapped up warm on the bus today. BUSYBEE it might be quiet because some members have jumped off to make snowmen and throw snowballs. ⛄️⛄️⛄️ Maybe making snow angels!
    I’m being quite good carbwise but not as careful as I intend to be when we’ve got January out of the way!❄️❄️❄️
    What shall we sing today….? How about a cheerful song…
    🎶🎶 When the Red, Red Robin Comes Bob-Bob Bobbin’ Along
    There’ll be no more sobbin’ when he starts throbbin’ his old sweet song
    Wake up, wake up you sleepy head
    Get up, get out of your bed
    Cheer up, cheer up the sun is red
    Live, love, laugh and be happy! xxx 🎶🎶🎶🎶🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

CARONL only just caught yr post. Hope the covid blues vanish,and that the internet singing lesson raises yr spirits.
    And talking of kilos,ive decided to weigh myself in kilos this year to make a change from endless years of doing stones and pounds!
    Thought for the weekend..
    Its better to do something imperfectly than to do nothing perfectly ( Robert H Schuller) xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

There was an interesting article in Saturday’s Times. I know that unless you subscribe to the Times you will not be able to read the article online, so I copied it and put a copy on the Take a Look at This thread.

It covers why comfort eating doesn’t work, but also covers why a high carb diet is making the West more vulnerable to Covid.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone and thanks for the condolences xx Hope everyone is going well this weekend.

So, I spent this morning doing my food plan for the week and thinking about my goal for 2021. SueBlue – I was reading this thread from the start and had to smile at the meme you posted from your Facebook news feed.

‘My goal for 2021 Is to accomplish the goals I set in 2020, which I should have done in 2019, because I made a promise in 2018, which I planned in 2017’

I did laugh at that but it got it exactly right for me too. This is what I wrote on Verano’s Vision 2020 thread pretty much a year ago.

“My history is I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in 2016. I did the BSD, put my diabetes into remission and lost 6 stone. In 2018, I regained over 2 stone, started the BSD again and by the end of last year (2019) I was back into a healthy BMI. (I’m currently 9st 2lb). My diabetes has remained in remission throughout and I’m confident about being able to continue to manage that. What I’m not as confident about is maintaining the overall lifestyle changes that underpin that. Although always low carb, my diet isn’t as healthy as it was at the start and for different reasons things have disrupted my exercise routines.”

What’s really struck me today (and not in a good way) is, at the beginning of 2021, I’m in exactly the same position, even to the point where I put 10lbs on during our first UK lockdown which I’ve just lost (I’m currently 9st 1lb). I really, really don’t want to be saying the same things next year!!
    So, my plan for this year is to go right back to how I was doing things in 2016/2017. That’s the lifestyle I want to maintain. I’ve just got to put my big girl’s knickers on now and do it.
    Jennie xx

• posted by Jennie10
    on

JGwen
    Thanks for posting the article.
    You’ve also prompted me to read the Clever Guts book which I bought when it first came out but I never got around to reading.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thanks for that article JGWEN ..I totally resonate with what it says..we know all this but we forget it from time to time..at least I do…..so this is a welcome reminder. I know that comfort foods soothe me but inevitably gloom follows at weight gain,plus feeling bad about myself.
    This sentence worried me as I didnt know this…!
    But when they tracked 5,000 people following this regimen from midlife onwards for 20 years they discovered that the more people mixed it ( Mediterranean diet) with processed high-sugar, high-fat foods, the faster they declined mentally.
    Thats scared me,seeing as this is what Ive done for the last three plus years! Thats a wake up call if ever Ive read one!
    Thanks again
    Ps was heartened to see that a lot of stuff I DO eat when low carbing is really beneficial to the gut! 👍🏻 🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️👍🏻

• posted by Busybee
    on

Great to see you all!
    Lots of interesting things to think about and like you Yowzer, it was the mixing of the Mediterranean diet with high sugar foods shocked me!
    Thanks for the support messages – I think I’m done with feeling sorry for myself and I’m back on the bus from tomorrow.
    X B

on

Tomorrow I will come out of hiding from the back of the bus and sit myself down, strap myself in and blooming get on with losing the weight I need to lose. I’ve been very stressed for the last few weeks and have been unable to knuckle down and I won’t even tell you what I’ve been eating but I can’t do it any more! Enough is enough. I haven’t weighted since Christmas Eve and I won’t weigh until 1st Feb . I am not hiding from the truth but I don’t like to be a slave to the scales any more as they do affect my mood. My clothes are still fitting but I can’t afford to let myself carry on as I have been doing so tomorrow I am BACK TO BASICS which means 16:8, low carb and a long fast one day every week. My plan for the week ahead is as follows- I aim to get into ketosis by the end of the week and will do my first 40 hour fast on 31st January. I will then weigh myself on 1st February and take things from there. It’s 10 weeks to Easter Sunday and my plan is to weigh 138 lb on Easter Sunday. I will NOT buy anything tomorrow when I go shopping that I could be tempted to eat (crisps!) as my will power hasn’t been good recently. If it’s not in the cupboard I can’t be tempted! I feel as someone who has been doing BSD for so long that I should be a good example but am afraid that I have let the side down recently and that is something I am not happy about. So tomorrow is my official first day back to basics. I’ve realised that I am an emotional eater- the job upset as well as my friends daughter being critically ill in ICU with Covid (still in) really tested me but I am ready to face life again and do my best to get back in control of my eating.

All the naughty ones to sit at the front of the bus tomorrow – we are getting our names put in the register!

• posted by Busybee
    on

I’m there with you at the front of the bus CC waiting for my name is to be put in the register.
    Like you today is yet another restart and I’m hoping for that ping in my head which switches on my determination to succeed.
    O.D.A.A.T. 🤞
    X B

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone.Cathy your post resonated with me,I think my name will definitely be in the register after the week I’ve had!I will sit up front too and buckle myself in.Not going to pressurise myself to get weighed on my intended day of 1st Feb,I’m going to wait until I have a couple of solid weeks under my belt then get weighed.Well done everyone who is managing to stick in despite these difficult times.Dawn X

on

Hello to all passengers aboard the Easter Tour Bus

I hope you can see me, Dawn and BusyBee sitting at the front of the bus, names duly taken for the register and all three of us strapped in and raring to go. We have spent the last few weeks reading the map so we know exactly where we are going and so we are here now and leading the way. We have saved a few seats for anyone who feels they want to join us at the front and we are hoping that by next week we will be able to move back a few seats so we are not in the limelight and being monitored by the conductor!
    Have a great week everyone. Us late starters haven’t blown it. I feel very determined today and am back in control and fighting fit.
    Well done to everyone he has made such a good start. I am impressed by your determination and dedication. I was definitely blown off course at the start of January with things getting me down but am now back in my seat and looking forward to seeing positive results.
    Just off for my one trip out a week to the shops (we are still on strict lockdown here in UK) and I won’t be buying any crisps!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi bus people,listen up!😀
    Be careful if you get email offering you a vaccination and you must respond within 12 hours..i was suspicious as its poorly worded..’and reported it
    My friend clicked the link and got asked for bank details. Scam! This is how it starts…

IMPORTANT – Public Health Message| Decide whether if you want to be vaccinated – Message on 12-January-21 14:57:11 BST – Your NHS.CO.UK order #203-9320557-23482748 has been dispatched

If you get and want to report,this is the free number…0808 250 5050 xxx
    Despicable …preying on people’s anxieties about getting a jab ..

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

I’m in the middle of the bus this week I think! Teetering close to the front tho!
    No worries,we’ll all soon be crammed into the back seats polishing our halos and flicking out our wings ..
    Our mojos will be well and truly working non stop 24/7 in February! Tho I deffo having pancakes on feb 16 yippee!xx
    🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Confession Corner…ive just been offered four hot cross buns..and Dear Reader,I accepted them.
    Sittin at the front of the bus with my tail between my legs…but looking forward to toasting and eating da buns…not all at once of course. XX My Carb Monster is dancing round merrily,she loves it when I succumb..

on

I have had a good day! Had a cup of red bush tea for breakfast and ate my lunch at 1pm. I had a “thin” with cheese inside toasted- 18g carbs and some Greek yoghurt with raspberries. Have just had a salad with some Halloumi and a glass of water with apple cider vinegar! I am sitting down now thinking about food! I bought a trolley full of healthy vegetables today and no crisps or anything off plan. Feel good that day 1 has gone well. I hope to be in ketosis by Thursday and burning my fat! I am going to fast from Saturday evening until Monday lunchtime and I will weigh myself on Monday as it is1st of the month.

Hope you’ve all had a good day.

Yowser- am loving confession corner! I’ve been in confession corner since Christmas Eve! My carb monster is going to be screaming by the end of the week because I will be ignoring him!

I am going to make a chart and add up my weight loss per month. January will go down as a zero!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi all, looks like the front of the bus is a bit crowded! I also had a wobble during the week but will take my place in the middle- you know, socially distancing.
    Yowser, I adore hot cross buns! All through my children’s childhood that was a tradition in our house, we would make them from scratch then fill up on them hot from the oven. The kids got bored with plain buns and went on to make plaits, ring buns and any other shape they could think of. Lots of fun. My son does it now for his family and I do have a pang letting that tradition go.
    My accountable day today and I’m relieved to have discarded half a pound, not much but better than the alternative. More cheering is the continuing shrinkage in my measurements, a total of 20cm off various measuring points. Most gratifying are the 6cm and 4cm respectively from waist and belly! You’d think I’d feel it in my clothes but I really haven’t- they were *very* tight when I re-started.
    My GP rang last week with the results of my annual blood tests- he sounded a word of alarm over my fasting bsl which has never been a problem before in formal tests. I am not surprised because I do it sometimes at work and it is never below 5.5 and has been over 6. SO that’s an added incentive to toe the line. Also that awful feeling when my arms are straight down and i feel my midriff pushing them away from my body- I hate it.
    Anyway, I take it as a win that we are all still here and keeping on, though it’s hard and life is tough in general at the moment.
    best wishers to all my fellow bussers, we can get there!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Mariet, I agree the front of the bus is looking a little crowded so I’ll join you in the middle.
    I’m actually travelling ok. I did have a set back mid week last week, but have still lost, when I weighed myself this morning I was almost a kilo less than this time last week, so total loss since New Years Eve is 3.6kg or a smidgen under 9lb 🙂
    I’m using an app called Happy Scales to track my weight loss, it gives you options to set milestones, I had my target weight for this year broken down into 10 milestones, and I have reached 2 of them already. I changed the settings though so it now displays my goal weight, and then the progress so far as a percentage. So I’m 29% of the way towards my 2021 goal. I’m also only 1.5kg away from my Easter Bus tour goal 🙂

I’m finding that 5:2 or 4:3 is working well for me. My non fast days are still low calories, around 1000-1200, and I have 2 or 3 800 calorie days. I do 16:8 when I can, it’s not always possible on work days as I have to eat during the set meal breaks, but on those days I just do 12:12 or 14:10.

Hot Cross Buns are my favourite and usually I’m buying them from early Jan when they first appear in the shops. But I’ve been listening to my mindfulness app for losing weight and I’m sure it must put subliminal suggestions into the back of my mind because when I was in the shops yesterday I saw mini hot cross buns on sale and just looked at them dispassionately and thought “no I don’t want them”. I’m definitely going to have some at Easter though 🐣

Today is Australia Day so I’m not going to be counting calories, it will be one of my non-fast days, although I’ll still be eating sensibly, I don’t have any choice as I literally only have healthy food in the house. After reading the post about it being easier to avoid foods in the supermarket than it is at home I took that on board. Now if I feel like a sweet treat I’ll have to make it myself (using a recipe from one of MM’s books of course!).

We still have just over 9 weeks till Easter so still time for us all to reach our Easter Bus trip goals 🙂

• posted by RubyG
    on

I need to be near the front of the bus too.
    I am falling into the trap of comfort-eating, occasional boredom eating, and subtly increasing portion sizes.
    I am at that awkward stage where clothes I wanted to wear again now fit well, and I haven’t yet challenged myself with the next size down, and I fear I’ve become a little bit comfortable and complacent.
    Anyway, back on the bus, no giving in today, she promises 😉

on

Sue, just wow! You are doing so well. I am thrilled for you. I also love your measured approach to your way of eating; it seems to me that you have hit the right balance of eating well and achieving your desired loss, but not becoming slavish or miserable about it, if that makes sense. Well done 🙂

And Mariet I am in awe of your 20cm shrinkage, that’s phenomenal! And Ruby you are going to have to buy a whole new wardrobe soon 🙂

So lovely to hear good news on here. And it’s great that so many are pushing themselves to the front of the bus to renew their determination. Cathy that carb monster will be chasing the bus screaming but getting further and further behind!

Yowser I can’t say I won’t have any Hot Cross buns but will wait until Easter as the bus will be parked at its destination by then (waiting to take us on to pasture new perhaps?). But really my main weakness is wine, and as Dry January was a big fat fail (literally!) I might try and give it up for Lent instead. Deep breath . . . . .

Other than that, not much to report here. I did set out on January 11th to lose 1lb a week, and I’ve actually done that. Surprisingly. But I know that this week and next will be the biggies as this week’s pound will take me down to the next stone marker then next week’s into the next stone bracket. I always find – and I don’t know why – that the pounds either side of the stone marker are the most very difficult to shift. It’s been that way ever since I started this WoE. One of life’s many mysteries!

on

SueBlue- 9lb,!!! Amazing weight loss – that’s awesome! I used Happy Scale a few years ago but you’ve inspired me to reinstall the app and I’ll use it when I weigh myself next week. You have really inspired me with your weight loss. Some great inch losses and pound losses being reported. I am very impressed with how hard you’ve all worked at what I think is a really difficult time to be motivated.

I went for a Dexa scan today as two dentists recently mentioned to me that I had jaw bone loss. I asked my GP to refer me as I was concerned about potential for osteoporis given my previous medical history. The radiologist weighed me today and asked me if I wanted to know what I weighed. I told him I was probably about 7 lb heavier than I weighed pre Christmas but I didn’t want to know! I’ll weigh in as planned on 1st and take it from there!!!

Another good day today from me. Roasted sprouts and vegan sausages for me tonight. My husband will be having mustard mash with his.

Keep up the good work everyone and I find it really inspiring when people report their losses. It’s great being a loser! Thank you!

• posted by RubyG
    on

So after having words with myself, I have managed to avoid additional eating today, finished work at a decent time and did 30 minutes youtube yoga with Kassandra.
    ODAAT!

Please log in or register to post a reply.