Dry Skin

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SOS
    on

My skin is becoming very dry and itchy. I’m having to slap on the body lotion several times a day when possible. I hardly ever used it before. Anyone else experienced this? It’s beginning to get unpleasant. I am drinking loads of water and eating well and weight loss progressing but wondering if this is yet another side effect of the low carbon diet

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi SOS,
    I haven’t heard of anyone else suffering fom dry skin. One person found themselves with a bad problem with spots on their face but I think yours is a first.
    Some people report peeing a lot more than normal in the first couple of weeks. If this is happening to you, it might be that you are getting dehydrated.
    The other thing to check is to make sure you are getting a good amount of fats/ oils in your diet. This may help dry skin.

• posted by FiFiP
    on

Hello SOS, have you changed soap, shower gel, laundry products recently – daft question but worth asking!?

• posted by spendloven
    on

My son and husband suffer with eczema and diet/dehydration play a big part. I’ve found that 2tbsp of coconut oil in a hot bath and a handful of Himalayan pink sea salt (Asda £3 a massive bag) works a treat, a couple of times a week helps sooth and hydrate.

• posted by Patsy
    on

I had dry skin before starting and it’s improved since I’ve been on the diet! Just shows we’re all different, I suppose.

• posted by SOS
    on

On doing a bit of research it seems that too low carbs can cause dry itchy skin also known as keto rash although I don’t have a rash. I have upped my carbs as I was having 30g max and my skin is feeling better. This diet is a journey of discovery and we do need to figure out what our individual needs are. I will also heed advice given here as it all helps so thanks for your replies.

• posted by alexginda
    on

I have a few small patches of psoriasis and notice they are clearing up without having to use any creams and for the past 15 years have found that cutting out all the major starches will help the psoriasis clear. I am eating 10g walnuts every day now. I cannot tolerate fish and I do drink a lot of water, but still remain dehydrated but that’s been a long term condition. Have also recently changed skin moisturising cream and notice it is having a far better overall effect.

Please log in or register to post a reply.