Don't know if anyone else read it

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Saw an article on dementia earlier, saying it is sometime called ‘diabetes of the brain’. And what is one of the things bring blamed for the rise in people being diagnosed?

Sorry, no prizes.

You don’t need to take 50:50, phone a friend, or ask the audience.

The answer is ………

SUGAR.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

When you think about it, dementia/Alzheimers wasn’t really that common in our history was it? I’ve always gone with the logic that people didn’t live long enough to get it in the past. But maybe the rise of such conditions does fit in scarily with the availability of sugar to the masses.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

If you look at school photos from the 50s and 60s where were the obese children? None in my class of 44 children. But you will find a high percentage in any class now.

Did we get sugary drinks and snacks between meals? No! No food between 5.30 pm and 7.30am, so we always had a 14 hour fast..

No wonder we have these diabetes epidemics. I’m totally shocked at how much sugar has been found in meat. Certainly didnt happen when we were young 🙁

• posted by orchid
    on

I would be interesting to graph both obesity and diabetes against the rise in ready meals containing corn syrup, made from the starch of maize. You can make a curry at home and it needs no additives, likewise a look at the contents of almost any ready meals and it is one of the extra’s in it. It is used as a ‘thickener, a sweetener and as a humectant – an ingredient that retains moisture and thus maintains a food’s freshness’ to quote Wikipedia. Basically extra carbs/sugars to make process food palatable. BBC had a good documentary a over a year ago about the impact it has had on our food and waist-line.

Please log in or register to post a reply.