Don't Baked Beans have a lot of sugar?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by carlitos
    on

I noticed several of the posted recipes are made with baked beans. In the U.S. baked beans usually contain a lot of sugar. Are baked beans in the UK different. Do any of the U.S. BSDers have particular brands of baked beans that do not contain sugar? Many thanks! Cheers, Carlitos

• posted by Trish45D
    on

In Australia (and I think UK) Heinz baked beans have about 6 g of sugar per serving (half a cup) and 19 g of carbs but they also have fibre because of the beans around 7 g and they are also high in protein (the beans again). The net carbs would be something like 12 g. If the rest of your daily food intake is basically fresh vegetables with some other type of protein having them once or twice a week is not going to be an issue. If you have them on a day when you have lots of fruit (even if berries) then your over-all sugar might be up.

Beans also take a lot longer to digest so make you fuller quicker and for longer. They are very beneficial – just don’t eat too many of the BB kind in one week. Or, better still, make your own there are many recipes on line for home made baked beans.

Hope that helps. 🙂

• posted by shalimar
    on

i do love the baked beans with tomato sauce and sometimes with molasses etc. … but now i buy plain beans by the can …. just beans no sauce etc. All kinds of beans .. kidney, black, cannellini, assorted, etc. I think you can drain the beans and put them in salad … but i usually drain and put in soups, stews and chilli.

Yes … lots of carbs still.

I have a total constipation problem so i have actually decided …. for now …. not to worry too much about beans and lentils because my body may really need the fibre.

• posted by Frog
    on

In the UK you can but reduced sugar and salt baked beans – Heinz and most of the supermarkets do own brand versions – although looking at the nutrition for each, the difference isn’t that huge.
    I find I eat less quantity than the recommended amount, 100g rather than 200g
    they weren’t something I ate often pre BSD, but when I started, I used to have them with egg for breakfast quite often where I’d have had toast pre BSD. I rarely have them now, although I did fancy some last week.
    When I was eating them a lot, I mixed them with beans that weren’t in a sauce – butter beans, cannellini, haricot etc, or even cooked runner beans, but now that I don;t have them frequently, I don’t bother.
    Another way to have less sugar is to drain off some of the sauce – the beans area bit carby, but it’s obviously the sauce that will have the added sugar.

• posted by Pmtking
    on

It is very frustrating for me because I sell beans, peas, lentils etc…was a major supplier to HJH, Hillsdown, Batchelors etc back in the day. Yes, way too much sugar in this product now for the consumer that is now paying attention. The US product is far worse than the U.K. product.
    If you subtract fiber from total carbs and devide by 5 … that will give you teaspoons of sugar per serving.
    Everyone is a bit different but for me 16 teaspoons of sugar per day is my max.
    There is 4-5 teaspoons of sugar in 1/2 cup serving of baked beans in the US..1/3 of our daily sugar allotment.
    Way too much for me on a regular basis.

• posted by SchnitzelVonKrumm
    on

Heinz Reduced Sugar and Salt Beans are the work of the devil. Bleugggghh! Awful. I would rather forgoe baked beans forever than eat them again. Oh the memory of them haunts my tastebuds. You could not pay me to eat them again. I feel quite strongly about this as you can tell!

Please log in or register to post a reply.