Does anyone have any exercise program for that doesn't put pressure thru feet?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by AnnaGoAnna
    on

I have recently fractured my ankle and been told that I have a condition that has made the bones in feet ‘crumbly’. I’m now not allowed to do any exercise that puts pressure through my ankles and feet and have to limit walking and only on flat surfaces. BUT I want to lose weight and get fit. What can I do? (sadly I don’t have a bike and nervous of water).

Does anyone have any resources for exercises that might help?

Thanks.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Anna

have a look on YouTube for “chair based exercise” – I don’t have mobility problems, so haven’t done them, but came across them when I looked last year for someone else. Several half hourish type videos came up that indicated a routine that you could follow.
    Amazon has some DVDs too – and simply googling “chair based exercise” brings up lots of resources in addition to the YouTube links.

Also, look at what your local gyms have to offer — City of London has a “Young at Heart” scheme, that is for over 50’s – some of it is standard gym and aerobics, but it also has chair based and gentler exercise; so does the over 55 group at my local community centre.
    I just had a look at your profile – if you have provision like this locally, but you’re below the age group specified, it’s worth asking if you can join because of your health issues. Ask your GP if he/she is aware of anything locally too.

• posted by AnnaGoAnna
    on

Hi Frog, Thanks for your advise. I’ll investigate what’s around and do some YouTubing. Anna

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi AnnaGoAnna – might be worth having a look at Pilates, as this is largely floor based. It would be worth attending a few classes, rather than trying to do it sole, at least to begin with. The instructors I have trained with, took into account any physical limitations when giving directions on the various exercises so that people didn’t overstressing areas of concern. Worth remembering too, that any physical activity over and above your normal level, will help to burn calories.

• posted by AnnaGoAnna
    on

Thanks SunnyB. I did a pilates session using YouTube earlier today. Most of it was doable so feel good about doing it. Thanks.

Please log in or register to post a reply.