Do I stay on medication?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by david lee
    on

Hi all, I have just signed up to this site and wanted to ask the question, as I am about to start the BSD.
    I am on Metformin atm. Should I stop taking my medication while on the diet? Should I ask my Doctor? etc.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi David – welcome to the forum and congrats on taking the decision to make a change in your life with the BSD. Don’t stop taking your medication at the moment and only do so in consultation with your Doctor, once you have seen some weight loss. It might be best to see your Doctor now and explain that you are looking to lose weight, with a view to eventually coming off medication – some GP are open to the idea and supportive. If yours isn’t, it does mean that you will have a bit more of a hill to climb to ditch the Metformin, but probably best to know if you physician is on board sooner rather than later.

Wishing you every success and look forward to seeing out and about on other thread on the forum.

• posted by Verano
    on

David I agree with SunnyB. I started this way of eating just over two years ago. My HbA1c dropped into the ‘normal’ range within a matter of months but I waited for another 6 months for my next test and then the metformin was reduced by half. Three months later and another blood test and I became drug free that as 13months ago.
    You don’t say what you HbA1c is or how long you have been on medication. To be on the safe side be guided by your GP. Metformin only reduces blood sugar by 10% so you won’t harm yourself even when you blood sugar reduces

Please log in or register to post a reply.