Disability and Exercise

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Artbluemuffin
    on

Hi Everyone
    I am on the wrong side of 55…:) a breast cancer survivor, have a left sided physical disability. Have approx 20 kilos to lose after looking at my BMI. Had gestational diabetes 18 years ago…any ideas regarding exercise?

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Not quite sure exactly what is you are asking for, your question is quite wide. However, if you are considering exercise for weight loss, there is growing recognition that exercise doesn’t really contribute anything to weight loss, its all down to diet. However, for general well being, exercise is good. So what do you fancy doing? Walking is considered as useful as anything these days, can you get out on nice days? Or do you prefer things like swimming or cycling? Anything that makes you feel happy would be good but you really don’t have to be doing anything that is uncomfortable.

• posted by McDuff
    on

I have impaired mobility and cannot walk very far. I’ve been going to the gym and use all the muscle strengthening equipment. I go 2 – 3 times a week and already my legs feel better (no pain at night) and my blood pressure is falling too. I cannot use the x trainers, treadmills or exercise bikes. It is a council gym and as I’m 60 it only cost £16.50 a month. I wonder if strength training might also help you?

• posted by Carolg
    on

My local swimming pool has aqua aerobic classes which 90% of the participants have been referred by their GP or physio.
    They are great fun and are very sociable.I have two new knees and find the exercise in the water is wonderful. There is no way I could do leapfrog jumps on dry land but in the pool – no problem

Please log in or register to post a reply.