Digital blood sugar monitor

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mummer
    on

Hi there,
    Can anyone please recommend a good and effective digital blood sugar monitor?
    Thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I use One Touch but it is prescribed for me. I know if I buy it, it would cost around 80€.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Can I ask why you want one.

• posted by Mummer
    on

Thanks for replying. I’ve just started the blood sugar diet and thought it would be good to monitor my blood sugar levels.

• posted by Mummer
    on

Thanks for replying. I’ve just started the blood sugar diet and thought it would be good to monitor my blood sugar levels.

• posted by Mummer
    on

• posted by Frog
    on

This post inspired me to get one – I went for a GlucoNavii in the end
    Meter and additional strips reasonably low cost, good reviews on amazon and they pass on the VAT exemption.

In extensive googling of different types, I ended up on the Diabetes UK site – and drifted into a forum post about discounted Montezuma’s chocolate – the 100% cocoa content.
    I did resist the posters recommendation to spend £60 to qualify for free postage 😊

Glucose meter and 2.5kg of chocolate delivered this morning.
    With 100% chocolate, even I can resist the temptation to eat lots, and just have a single square (or a single peanut butter filled egg).

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Mummer
    In 2016, when I was first diagnosed with Type II I got two monitors (indecisive as ever!).
    I got an Accu-Chek Performa. I got this because it was one of those on the approved list of blood glucose monitors to be given to people with Type I diabetes by our local GP practice (people with Type II don’t get one). Accu-Chek have quite a good reputation and if you look under Resources on here MM advertises an Accu-Chek monitor. I chose that one so that when I showed the GPs my bgl readings they’d believe them (they were very dismissive of BSD back then).

But if you are paying for everything yourself one of the things you have to bear in mind is the on-going cost of the test strips. So, the second monitor I got was the SD Codefree because the test strips were cheap and it was one of two suggested for this reason by people on the forum at diabetes.co.uk. (The other was the Tee2). This is the one I use most of the time now when I test myself.

However, more recently some people on the diabetes forum have expressed concern with the SD so have moved away from it.
    There is now a new one which I think is the one Frog’s got.

I’ve attached a link to a thread on the diabetes forum where there’s a bit more info – go to Rachox’s post on bg home monitors – and some links to retailers.
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/newly-diagnosed-feeling-confused.175815/
    Good luck
    Jennie xx

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Frog – your post did make me laugh. I also read the post about the offer on the Montezuma 100% dark chocolate and the £60 suggestion. I told my husband about it because he loves the 100% Montezuma. Mind, he’s never liked chocolate so maybe that’s why. Good luck with that one! xx

• posted by Mummer
    on

Thank you Frog. I will check that out.

• posted by Mummer
    on

That’s extremely helpful. Thank you Jennie.

Please log in or register to post a reply.