Difference between low-GI diet and BSD – can anyone explain?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Fifi and Flo
    on

Hi All. I wondered if anyone can explain in simple lay-man terms what the difference is between a Low-GI/GL diet and Dr Moseley’s BSD?
    Have googled but the explanations are confusing (to me 😂)
    Thank you

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi fifi and flo, the glycemic index indicates the speed at which a carb raises the sugar levels in the blood and there is also a correlation as to how quickly it comes down again. So the higher the GI the quicker it turns to sugar but the hunger pangs come back quicker, low GI release its sugars more slowly so they stay in the system longer and keep you feeling fuller. You will be familiar with some foods giving you are sugar rush (like fizzy sweet drinks) but you get a drop in energy very quickly after consuming. It is complicated but this diet almost works out for you which are the best foods on the GI scale but cutting out those that are high. It is a lot more complicated than that when you start looking at GL. This is basically a low GI diet but basing it on carb load.

There are a lot of sites you can google but to keep it simple look on Kids Health, explaining to mums and their kids.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

that should of course be any food, not just carbs

• posted by Fifi and Flo
    on

Thanks ever so much for replying. Very helpful. Plus I found this by a Dr which is a bit long reading but helpful too.

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2006/11/07/what-is-the-glycemic-index/#more-300

Simply put, it seems that on a low GI diet, carbs are not limited as long as they are low GI/GL. But this means that insulin still has to kick-in to deal with the result of the carb in-take. So, at the end of the day, a low GI diet is not as good as the BSD for what most of us want, ie. lower blood sugar/weight loss

Sorry to go on as some people may not be interested, but i’m glad I’ve got to the bottom of it with help from you and the above link. I was getting myself in a bit of a state worrying about what to eat when I finish the 8 week menu plan. Now I know I don’t have to worry about GI. I just need to do what Dr Mosley advises regarding carbs, ie. stay away from those that are highly refined and limit the ones which are in a more natural state. Phew!

Please log in or register to post a reply.