Diet Drinks

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by FatBloke
    on

Hi,

Does anyone drink diet drinks as part of their 800 plan?

Anyone had issues with losing weight drinking diet drinks?

Thanks

FB

• posted by Sunshine24
    on

Hi

I have to say that I have been drinking one can of Diet Cream Soda a day (I’m addicted to the stuff) plus Tesco flavoured water without any issues this week (I only started on Monday 26/9 though) but have lost 7 lbs this week – When the weight loss slows down, then I’ll cut back on it

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

The only issue with diet drinks is that they train you to continue to want sweet things – even though the sweetener is not sugar, the body experiences something sweet.

So best cut down or avoided if you can – and then your tastes alter not to want so many sweet things which is obviously helpful.

If you count in to your calories obviously not disastrous

Hope that helps. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Tizzie
    on

There’s also something about certain sweeteners affecting your gut bacteria which is possibly linked to obesity/ insulin resistance. Not sure of the details of the research but may be another reason to avoid them. However, I still love my diet cola and am not about to give it up just yet, so I’m watching out for more information, as it may be that some sweeteners are ok in that respect. My weight loss has been fine- just short of 4 stone in as many months so can’t be too bad. I do agree though that getting used to less sweet flavours is as good idea generally. (I am hoping that manufacturers will start to produce less sweet versions- in the same way they jumped on the low fat bandwagon decades ago!!)

• posted by Frog
    on

I do use a fair amount of no added sugar squash – but prefer the less sweet flavours like grapefruit, lime or lemon. I think I’d struggle to drink as much if all just water!
    Pre BSD I used to drink a lot of coke, but find that too sweet now, I also tried diet tonic on its own in a pub instead of a G&T -YUK! About the only fizzy drink that I like now (aside from sparkling water) is M&S diet bitter lemon – but not many branches seem to have it.

• posted by FatBloke
    on

Thanks everyone it is really useful to see what other people are doing and their thoughts on the subject.

Four stone is a really good loss, well done!

The sweet thing is a really good point but at the moment finding things a little tough, I cheated at 3 in the morning I came down an ate an eat natural chocolate and peanut protein bar I had left over (it is not very sweet and it is chocolate flavour no chocolate). So my 800 calories went to 1000!

Today I bought some diet death as I like to call diet coke!

• posted by LainieUK
    on

I have diet coke, low sugar orangina and low sugar fanta or tango. I am careful with the orange drinks as they do have calories and carbs. I also have lots of water, sparkling water as well as a few cups of tea and coffee. I’ve lost 26lbs in 8 weeks and feel I do need to have some treats on hand for when I want something tasty. They are one of my daily treats.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I used to drink lots of Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi but then went on to fizzy diet Lemon and Lime

But after a few months on the BSD I found them too sweet. And, when I was in Prague and the only diet drink I could find was Diet Coke, it made me feel ill๐Ÿ˜ฑ Now I only drink black coffee and water (preferably sparkling). It’s surprising how our tastes can change when doing this!

• posted by SchnitzelVonKrumm
    on

Sometimes I have diet 7up as caffeine free but I think it can make me crave sweet things. Now the colder nights are here, if I have calories spare I have Green & Blacks dark hot chocolate made with 200ml whole milk.

• posted by Flash21
    on

Frog – tonic on its own is horrrrrrible! Much better with gin ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m also a fizzy drink fiend. I used to drink A LOT of diet Coke but found it gave me terrible migraines. Switched to non-diet drinks but the amount of sugar in them is scary so am trying to switch to sparkling water flavoured with either no-sugar squash or at a push, a tiny drop of juice.

• posted by shalimar
    on

I like tonic water …. with or without gin ๐Ÿ™‚
    I like diet Coke …. an 8 oz glass with 1/2 lemon

Although i try not to drink diet or regular soda pop or juice …. sometime i just want a coke with lemon.

Apparently the diet drinks fool your body into expecting sugar energy ….. and when the body doesn’t get that energy it tends to make you go grazing for food!! But once in a while …..
    I don’t know if you get Dr. Pepper where you all are ….. but diet Dr. Pepper is quite good because it has lots of unique flavorings

• posted by Flash21
    on

You sometimes really can’t beat a diet Coke with lemon! And I think I might actually like Dr Pepper even more….

• posted by FatBloke
    on

So true I also Dr P as well!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Coke Zero in the 8 oz glass bottle is one of my favorite treats. I don’t drink one every day, more like every other day. There’s something about that mineral taste of the glass that makes Coke so much more delicious. Plastic bottles and cans don’t even come close. The format has the added advantage of being small and manageable. It never loses carbonation like the big plastic bottles, and there’s no metallic tinge from the can.

Please log in or register to post a reply.