diet controlled type 2 diabetes

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by orgally
    on

I have always meant to ask this question but have only just remembered to do it.
    Is this reversal of type 2 not just diet controlled type 2 diabetes? How does it differ from diet control?
    Am actually doing the fast800 just now but this question comes up a lot by other people and I am having difficulty answering it can anybody help?
    Thanks

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Orgally
    I think you have just asked a really good question and have thought about this a lot lately.

By following the BSD plus strictly liming carbs I can stay off insulin and my blood sugars are in the non-diabetes range. If I increase my carbs my blood sugars would probably within hours be back in the T2D range (I am guessing because there is no way I am going to check this out). So in my view this makes me a diet controlled person with T2D. Actually – I tell people that I am managing T2D without insulin – which is how I view myself.

My NHS records say that my Diabetes is in Remission – which is how we are viewed if we get our blood sugars down to non-diabetes blood sugars. Which I suppose is correct also because it suggests that it can come back again.

To have diabetes reversed you would have to be able to eat the bad carbs and have completely normal blood sugars because everything was now working normally. The issue here is that we have probably got a pre-disposition to developing diabetes if we eat sugar and the bad stuff. But I suppose if you could occasionally eat the bad stuff and still be OK you could probably be classed as reversed – but of course if you based your diet on sugary and starchy carbs the diabetes would be likely to come straight back.

These are only my thoughts.

Please log in or register to post a reply.