Did u hve good results after a slow start?Stalled weight loss – will it pick up?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

I am on day 2 of week 2. I have been religiously staying under 800, doing 10,000 steps a day. Minimal carbs and NO weight loss after initial 2 kg in the first 3 days. I have a good 20 kilos to lose and a bmi of 32 so it’s not like I don’t have a lot to lose. To ‘maintain’ my weight I should be eating 2000 calories so how can I not be losing?

So frustrated as have read the big numbers others are losing and hoped that would be me. I am aiming to lost 20 kilos this year and at this rate it is zilch:-( on 800 caloiries:-(

Did anyone else have such frustrating start?

A sad lucyjane:-(

• posted by neohdiver
    on

Are you relying on the calorie count in the book to determine if you are under 800? (Some of them are off by quite a bit.)

If not, are you weighing and measuring everything you eat? If you just go by package labels – or by counting things? Anapple (just as an example), can range from 55 to 130 (or higher).

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

I am weighing everything and logging on my fitness pal and over estimating if anything. Even if I was out and I was on 1000 cals a day as an active 98 kilo women I should be losing weight!

• posted by karra
    on

Hi Lucyjane and welcome to the forum. I too had a very slow start and I do mean a slow start. It took me till Day 17 before I lost 1¾ lbs, and this was sticking to the 800 or less calories per day, and drinking 1½ – 2 litres of water. I’ve been exercising everyday, going for walks though not as many steps as you, and nothing was happening. My carbs were well below 50g per day, but so was my fat intake. You might want to make sure you are eating close to 50g of fat per day. For me I find that very difficult as some days I’m just not hungry, but give it a try. I need to lose 21lbs overall, especially the belly fat.

I know I was discouraged by seeing all these weight loss numbers by other members too, but one thing you need to remember is everyone’s body is different and some people will lose weight faster than others. I knew it had to kick in at some point, so I just carried on fingers crossed that one day I would see less lbs on the scale and yesterday I did, am hoping tomorrow will also see another loss, so don’t get disheartened…….just carry on and I’m sure it will come off.

hugs
    Karra

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

Hm I just went back and most days I average about 35grms fat and on a couple 50. Today I am going to have a two egg omlette with cottage cheese, ham fried in 10 gram butter. Tonight I will have baked barramundi with salad with olive oil and yoghurt with nuts…

Long black coffees. 1 hour walk. Argh

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

Another day with absolutely no shift in weight. Yesterday ate 850 cal. Walked 12000 steps bike rided half an hour what is going on? Beginning to despair that this will work!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Lucyjane,
    It will work, please stick with it. It took Karra over two weeks to see movement on the scales but in that time her husband had noticed changes in her shape.
    It is very disheartening when you are trying so hard but don’t give in. Try looking for changes other than weight loss. Are your clothes feeling looser, do you sleep better, have more energy etc?
    Someone else has posted some interesting info on how, as our bodies use fat, the fat cells fill with water because we don’t actually lose the cells. This continues for a while until they finally release the water and we see an overnight weight loss. That is why the fat seems softer and more dimply when we first start to diet. Maybe this will explain what happened with you and Karra. I think the person who posted had googled the ‘Whoosh effect’.
    Keep posting, I’m sure others on here will be able to help. You definitely aren’t the only one to experience this in the first couple of weeks. 🙂

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Lucyjane
    It’s really hard seeing all those big losses. I have lost very very slowly. In the 8 weeks I lost 14 lb. I found that I have to keep my carbs well below 50g, more like 25 g-35g, and my fat intake has to be around 50 g or nothing happens. I saw on diet doctor.com that it’s important to eat salt as on low carb you lose salt more. Also. I came across a book by Jenny Ruhl ‘ low carb problems solved’ (£3 on kindle) that is very helpful. She s an expert and has written a few books.
    Measuring yourself is also important as you can lose inches without losing weight.
    Best of luck
    Penny

• posted by Natalie
    on

That sounds so frustrating Lucyjane. You’ve been on the diet for 10 days now I think, at some point I suppose you need to decide is this really the right diet for you? I’ve heard many times for years that there is no “one size fits all” diet plan as we are all different, although I think this is a really good one and life changing for many. I suggest continuing to give it a good trial, sounds like you are sticking to the plan really well, how long you keep trying is up to you, maybe 4 weeks? Then get your thyroid checked or something? Like you, I don’t see how it is possible to eat 800 calories and walk 10,000 steps yet not lose weight. I hope it is water retention in the fat cells like people have suggested and that you get that whoosh effect soon.

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

Hi I don’t want to give up as I am officially obese with a bmi of 32. I have tried so many diets and this year I have committed to getting my weight back under control. I’m not diabetic but both my parents are. I am keeping carbs low. I do feel really good and am sleeping brilliantly so hoping for a whoosh effect soon. Goal today is 4 litres of water! Thanks for all the replies.

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

Penny 14 pounds is awesome!

• posted by Meredex
    on

Hi Lucyjane, I have just logged on to write a post ‘ defeated, when to give up’. We have both spoken before with Karra, I am in exactly the same boat. 4lb lost in the first 4 days then NOTHING for 10. It’s two weeks today since I started and I’m so disappointed. Following plan, drinking water, low carbs <30g and eating full fat. I joked with Karra about being the exception to the rule but it’s no joke now. We seem the same weight/bmi, I’ve got about 3 stone to loose. I feel well but the aim of this diet was to loose weight so now I have to decide about changing it. I don’t feel hungry and enjoy the food. I really don’t know what to do next. The book says we should have seen big changes, I’d quite like a chat with Michael at the moment. Do I go back to slimming world? A diet I can stick to for only a couple of weeks (but in those 2 weeks could loose 4lb). The scales have been a joke. I’ve even changed the batteries and tested them holding my daughter. 12 stone in the morning, 12.1 before bed. No fluctuation, not even by 1/2! It’s as though they are programmed! Sorry about the long post. I feel your disappointment. What should we do? Stick or change??? Meredex x

• posted by karra
    on

Lucyjane and Meredex, I’m pleased to tell you both, this diet works, even though it’s taken until Day 17 before anything happened. I lost 1¾lbs on Day 17, lost another ¼lb on Day 18, and now today I have lost a further 1½lbs. So 3lbs in 3 days. I changed my diet by increasing the fat intake to as close to 50g a day as I could, keeping the carbs low and not drinking as much water. I have only been drinking 2 – 3 glasses over the day in addition to my 3-4 cups of tea, as I found the water intake for me was way too much.
    As I’ve said everyone is different, you may need to adjust a few things to find the right balance for you. Funnily enough yesterday I got a new smartphone and therefore didn’t do any exercise and still managed to lose the 1½lbs, so keep at it both of you, don’t be disheartened. Maybe the 3 of us do retain water as neohdiver was saying…….it’s worth a shot to find out.

Wishing you both a loss of lbs. xx

hugs
    Karra

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Lucyjane
    I’m glad you want to keep going. Often there are different difficulties, which is why ‘low carb problems solved’ is so useful. I m a bit concerned about the 4 litres- it may be too much. I go for 10 drinks a day which comes to 2.8 l. You don’t want to overwhelm your kidneys!
    Penny

• posted by xrissy
    on

Hiya Lucyjane….

Wanted to tell you I am in the same boat. Lost about 5 pounds in first few days, stalled for a week. I had a day ‘off’ after week one, and I don’t know how much that threw it out, but like you, even if eating 1000, it’s still so lo, especially with low-carb factor, should be losing much more. It is very frustrating (hug!)

At 5’2, I knew from experience that I wouldn’t hit the same big numbers, but was hoping for better than I have had. I started on the 31st March, and from the 6th to the 12th, I’ve not lost an ounce. Men have it so much easier – it comes off much faster. Most of the stories in the book with big numbers are male. However, I will say that this morning, after a disheartening weigh-in, I looked in the mirror and felt I looked slimmer. I know I must be losing more than the scales say, as I took measurements, and am losing around the waist. Went from 36 to 34.5, now around 34, so it’s coming off. It’s not muscle as I’m not exercising much.

I say we just stick to it, however hard it is, and hope that it starts coming off. I think it’s hard in the beginning in week 2-3, cuz we’re not in the swing of things yet, and are bodies are trying to gauge what’s going on. Hopefully when it realises it’s not getting more food, then it’ll start burning fat. Surely, at 800 calories, we can’t go on forever not losing weight, I think that sounds impossible. We def won’t have the same results as the men. But…. you’re not alone! Other females are in the same boat as you.

I will not re-weigh until next week, start of week 3, and see where that leaves me, and will try to reassess at week 4, as I want to kick the sugar habit completely before I try anything else. Good luck, stay motivated, hang in there.

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

Meredex, I feel your pain! It is pain isn’t it: reading all the posts of people dropping 10 pounds in the first week or so but then for us zilch after the first 3 days. I have been following Karra’s posts and glad to see she is having a whoosh effect.

I am going to give this until the end of May and try and stick to the rules ‘religiously’ and see what happens: I have been on this yo yo diet for so long I really don’t know how else I am going to lose the weight if not by 800 cal and low carb. Today I have eaten a ham parmesan omlette and oven baked chicken with spinach and pine nuts sauteed in butter…I have done a slow 45 minute jog..Don’t want to give up as I don’t feel like I have a lot of other options. I do wonder what Michael would say.

Thanks Karra for the update – there is some hope!

Penny thanks for the cheer. I will be pleased if I lose a solid 14 pounds by the end. I read that drinking lots of water can create the whoosh effect…Lets see what my fight with tomorrow’s scales say! I feel so shocked and outraged that they are not budging!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Meredex
    I really feel for you.
    I m a terribly slow loser, but still I feel this is better than slimming world in the long run because of the science. I did lose in the end, now 15 lb in 10 weeks- some people lose that in week one! . I read lots of stuff to try to work out what to do. Do you know “diet doctor.com, and “low carb problems solved” by Jenny Ruhl?
    For me really low carbs are absolutely key, so 25-30g, and lots of fat, about 50g, and adequate salt, but also periods of fasting, eg no breakfast so there’s a gap of about 16-17 hours with no food.
    apparently this is very good for shifting internal fat.
    I hope you hang in there, this is such a supportive forum and we ll all try to help and support you.
    Best of luck
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Xrissy
    I’m so glad your staying with the programme and encouraging others to do so. As a slow loser myself, I know the frustration!
    Re your ‘day off’ – that would have taken you out of fat burning if you were in it which obviously slows things down. I ve started using Ketostix to check my fat burning. I found after the teeniest piece of birthday cake it took 5 days to get back into it. 😪 And I have never got into the deep red section on the chart yet!
    Some of us are just better at hanging on to the fat. Probably our ancestors suffered famine and we ve got the anti famine genes.
    I ve found intermittent fasting helps, ie no breakfast so there’s a gap of about 17 hours with no food. This apparently is good for getting rid of internal fat.
    Have you looked at diet doctor.com? Worth a look if you haven’t. Also there’s s book by Jenny Ruhl ‘low carb problems solved’ which might help.
    Best of luck
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Karra
    I’m so pleased that it’s working for you at last. It will encourage the other!
    Best of luck with continuing weight loss
    -3 lbs in 3 days!!
    Penny

• posted by Just do it
    on

Hi all, I sympathise completely. I’ve started to think I’m an exception to the rule of this diet too. I’ve been on it almost four weeks now and today gave in for the very first time and had chocolate and biscuits as I’m just so disheartened with the slow weight loss, I thought I may as well deserve it as it’s happening anyway. So far:
    week 1 – lost 4lbs
    Week 2 – gained and lost the same 1 lb
    Week 3 – revised meals, ate from book and under 650 cals for 3 days in a row and lost 3lbs then back to 800 cals and gained 1.5lbs
    Week 4 – gained and lost same 2lbs
    So over all ended up losing about 1lb in the last 3 weeks – torture! I know that until today I’ve done it right. I did MM’s original 5:2 diet Dec – Feb and lost a stone using occasional 500cal days. I think maybe I should have less than 800 cals some days, maybe nearer 600 as doing that brought me the 3lb loss? Crazy though that I need to go that low.
    However, in spite of today’s rebellion I’m not giving up. Positives:
    Lost 5lbs
    Lost a few inches all over
    Asthma seems to have disappeared
    Osteoarthritic knee better than ever
    Sinus probs disappeared
    Feel slimmer and energetic (when not sulking over scales)
    Damage limitation now, no dinner, loads of water instead and going to yoga class. Fridge stuffed with med food. Bought keto sticks. From tomorrow will alternate 800/600 cals for a week. What does everyone think?

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Just do it, do you know the number of grams carbs per day? It may be your carbs are too high and a small adjustment there (downwards) will sort out the weight loss.

• posted by Just do it
    on

Hi Orchid, I’ve just worked out the average over the last 3 week is 40g carbs (use myfitnesspal). Fat is always the biggest percentage, I drink 3l of water and fast from dinner to lunch most days, got into the habit on 5:2.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Lucyjane & Meredex
    You are both trying hard. It is disappointing when real effort is so poorly rewarded.
    Many of us ( more each day) have decided to ditch the carbs & follow a much healthier life style. Some, like me Really have to continue, no matter how fast or slow our results are. I’m type 2 diabetic.

The Mediterranean diet is healthy & tasty & good for you. 800 calories is tough to get your head around but worth it. You can & do lose weight on that kind of calorie count.

Too much salt can make you retain water. Too much exercise likewise. Too many hidden carbs can mess up your carb counting. All this & much more is explained by Jenny Ruhl in her book : Diet 101 The Truth About Low Carb Diets. It’s very informative & worth a read. Her first book is Blood Sugar 101, second edition. See : http://www.phlaunt.com

Do hope you both persevere & get results soon.
    Eureka

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hello Just Do It, in spite of your slow weight loss you have quite an impressive list of positives! So stick with it. Our bodies don’t respond consistently, at a set rate. I’ve been on the BSD for 3 months now – I didn’t go for the whole 800 cals/day, rather I just adjusted my eating habits (leaving out the “extras” helped considerably), tried to eat my evening meal by 6pm/7pm to extend the overnight fast. My weight loss has been slow compared to others, it’s averaging just over 1lb/week. I’ve had the occasional blip, most recent one was last night – I’d not been feeling great, stress at work, was dehydrated – I downed 1/2 a carton of orange juice, kept snacking on anything I could lay my hands on, and had a great big dollop of honey (and I enjoyed it). So don’t be disheartened by giving in to temptation with chocolate & biscuits – it happens. My weight loss tends to be 2 or 3 days of losing, then it goes up, then plateaus before falling again (imagine a ball bouncing down stairs). But I calculate in this past 3 months that I have lost 10% of my original starting weight. I’ve still got a way to go before I’m in the “healthy” part of the BMI and I expect it will take a while. Just got to keep plugging away. Good Luck, Rose

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Justdoit
    It’s so hard when this happens. I have been very slow. Things improved when I started really counting my carbs. I really have to stay around 25g-30g to lose. Also now I’ve got Ketostix I can see I’m mostly barely in fat burning despite the very low carbs. I suppose it’s just how our bodies are. Ketostix are very motivating. I’ve started intermitent fasting ie no breakfast so there’s a 17 hr break from food. That made my ketones slightly better. And it’s not that hard because you’re asleep for most of it.
    My guess is that you’re similar. I had a teeny piece of birthday cake and it took 5 days to get back to fat burning. No more cake! I think people like us can easily go in and out of fat burning if we re not fasting a bit. Also a bit of more energetic exercise might help. – as in MM s intense 20 seconds.
    Best of luck.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Justdoit
    I need to keep my carbs 25-30 so maybe that’s what you need to do.
    Penny

• posted by Just do it
    on

Thanks Penny, I will try reducing carbs to 25 – 30g and add in some of MM’s high intensity exercise from tomorrow as you suggest. I’m also going to make more soups and will try the ketosticks soon – need to clear those nadty carbs out first. Thanks for the suggestions, Jules x

• posted by Just do it
    on

Hi Rose, your weight loss does sound just like mine, love the bouncing ball on the stairs idea. You’re absolutely right, the positives far outweigh the one negative of the scales and that will come in time I know. I went to yoga class tonight so feeling very Zen now and have forgiven myself the carb fest. Well done for sticking with it for 3 months, that’s fabulous.

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

And whoosh… This morning I won the battle with the scales and was a full kilo down. Funny how they get stuck for days and then bam! The only thing I did differently was drink 4 litres of water. Pick am on day 10 of the diet and that is now three kilos. Hoping for another one by Sunday and that will be four, which is I think 8 pounds. I have stayed below 30 grm carbs and eaten 50 grams fat each day. Jules, this diet would be too painful for me if I was eating carbs as i would be hungry all the time. Stick with it. That is going to be the hardest thing for me.

• posted by Meredex
    on

What fantastic support! I had a good talk to myself and decided 2 weeks wasn’t long enough to be admitting defeat plus 2 people at work told me I was impatient and inconsistent!
    Fantastic news Lucyjane! You must be thrilled! I’m sure my whoosh is just around the corner! If you can do it then I blooming well can 🙂
    Again thanks to all who replied to Lucyjanes thread it has helped me so much too
    Meredex x

• posted by Just do it
    on

Hi LucyJane, congrats on your woosh, that’s fabulous, 3kg in 10 days I’d amazing, well done! Don’t know if I could drink more than 3 litres, I’m never off the loo as it is. Speaking of which, after yesterday’s carb fest (I put it all into myfitnesspal – 1700 cals and 160g carbs !!!!!) I took my dog for a long walk and nearly didn’t make it home in time for a number two 🙂 Funny the effect carbs have on you after a month of abstinence.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

I’m so pleased you are getting your ‘whooshes’ ! 🙂

• posted by Funkydoofamily
    on

I’m a slow burner definitely – I lost 6lb week one but have only lost 1-2 in following 3 weeks but have lost 3inches round my waist. I’ve tried to keep busy and find things easier when I’m at work and I have my weighed and planned lunch and no way of sneaking anything extra! Part of my motivation is that, now I’ve managed to wean myself off potatoes pasta rice and bread, (I went cold turkey but it was hard!!) I don’t want to go through doing that again. So when temptation is there, I go for nuts or a bit of cheese or a Beetroot Brownie rather than face the surge and the slump. Find this forum very motivating and helpful too.

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

Hi thanks for all the support everyone. Scales didn’t move again. I am hoping for another kilo again. So far 1 week 4 days and only 6 pounds. I was hoping for the big losses other people reported. Also frustrated as I spent 5 months on the 5:2 to lose 5 kilos which I then put back on the last few months. So feel like I am just stuck on the diet merry go round without ever getting anywhere. Also just waiting for the crack in my will power to happen! Been here too many times before. Is this the two week blues?:-( My goal is for 15 more kilos so I have a long way to go.
    How is everyone else going?

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Lucyjane
    Some of us just lose slower I think. On any ordinary diet 6 lbs in 10 days would seem amazing.
    Keep going, there’s lots of support here. Even at That ‘slow’ rate that’s a lot of weight you will lose in 8 weeks.
    You may have to find the right reeks for you
    Penny

• posted by LeanneW
    on

I had a great start with 5kg in 1 week but I have come to a grinding halt too. Am just sticking with it as logic tells me I am eating way below the amount that kept my weight steady so I have to start losing again soon. The 2-3 L of water is way too much for me so try and drink 1L a day. Love reading all the posts as it gives me hope :).

Leanne

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

Penny I do know its a good result – just I have been here way too many times…When I am 10 k down I will be happier. I don’t trust myself to stick with it. Also have lots of family big social events coming up in 5 weeks..Don’t trust myself to stay with this.

Leanne, 5 kilos in one week. I am jealous!

• posted by Meredex
    on

Hi Lucyjane, day 15 and the scales moved after 11 solid days! 2lb down nothing today. My friend went sugar free (much like this diet) and it took her a good 5 weeks before the weight started coming off. Look we can’t carry on with such a massive calorie deficit without loosing weight, right? No we are not in ‘starvation mode’ as many friends have told me. I’m putting it down to a slow adjustment. Yes disappointing but still doable. Let’s get to the end of the 8 weeks together, stay strong x

• posted by LeanneW
    on

Hi Lucyjane…It sure was exciting losing that much. Now it’s just a waiting game for the scales to move again 🙁

• posted by Leeanne
    on

I also seem to have hit a plateau (week 6, day 4). I’ve lost approx 10% of my starting weight so far but am now stuck. Eating the same, walking the same miles, nothing’s changed. At least I’m not gaining weight though! Stuck at 12st 12lb for 2 weeks now yet my clothes continue to feel baggy. I listened to a You Tube interview with MM and some people lose 30lb in 8 weeks – how brilliant is that!!

• posted by Odette C
    on

Hello my first post on this thread, I read it because most days I don,t lose despite sticking carefully to the plan.

But a couple of thoughts…
    I don,t think of giving up, because the mediterranean/lo carb way of eating is the ONLY option for obese or diabetic people if they want to retain their health. So if it takes 8 weeks or 8 months it doesn,t matter, because I hope to still be eating this way in 8 years time, or even when Im eighty!

However the first part of the diet plan, the 800 calories a day is a big ask, as your body is making so many adjustments to it,s digstive system, hormone balances, sleep patterns, blood composition and nutrition, it goes on and on, and these changes are all positive, though they won,t show on a set of scales. So worthwhile, even if your body is on a slower wieght loss pattern. AND You will lose weight .

Don,t think about giving up, if it really is too challenging, think instead about ‘swapping’. Where you move from 800 cals to the 5:2 + mediterranean. Michael Mosley does describe these options in the book, and changing to the less demanding route might be what you need to do, as I said , this diet is not for a finite period of time, it is until you are 80 and beyond, Very best of luck!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Well said Odette
    a lot of us have experienced plateaux at some stage of the diet, fortunately for me it has just happened at the week 11 stage.
    There have been various reasons put forward for this happening and remember, every diet I have ever tried has a plateaux somewhere. Is this the fault of the diet or is it a normal human bodily response to a new way of eating ?
    I think it’s the latter as all diets are different but all seem to show this problem.
    If your weight loss has stutered or temporarily stopped or if it is slower than others, what other advantages are you experiencing? If you are type 2, are your sugar levels reducing? are you sleeping better, feeling fitter, enjoying food more ? Ladies I’ve heard a lot of women talking about improvements to the skin, Judith has seen an improvement in her hyperthyroidism.
    Summing up, on 800 calories and restricted carbohydrates, the majority of people have to lose weight, it is really unavoidable. The speed at which we lose it and the hiccups along the way are individual things.
    This way of life does work, please persevere and the results will come.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

I’ve also had an improvement in my asthma! I took my (long) peak flow charts with me to my bloods appointment with my asthma nurse. She was thrilled with the difference between 2015 and 2016 – it was all there in blue and red!!! Blue and red because I record morning peak flow in blue and evening in red. An average peak flow of 420 in 2016 but only an average 340 with drops to 220 in 2015. The lowest point in 2016 has been 3 recordings of 350 with most around the 420 mark and often as high as 440. Some of that difference will be down to taking azithromycin 3 times a week but some is down to the weight loss I have only been able to achieve on this particular diet, along with the improved energy levels and general well being. My asthma nurse once again commented on how healthy I was looking.
    I know hypothyroidism cannot be cured but this diet has had a remarkable effect in that I could not lose weight before, I was permanently tired and foggy brained. All that has changed. When I say I was permanently tired it would better be described as total exhaustion!! Getting my morning shower would leave me shattered. I would have to eke out my jobs, i.e it got to the point I could shop one day, steam clean another, hoover another, garden another. It was crap!!!!
    I can’t say enough that this diet has totally changed my life!

Like Bill says, don’t worry about weight loss stalling – it happens at times. Carry on and you will reap the rewards 🙂 🙂

Odette, I love your post. Well said! 🙂

• posted by xrissy
    on

Well done Lucyjane! You give me hope my ‘whoosh’ is around the corner. Im sure my scales will stick for awhile. Tried not to weigh myself but this morning gave in, no loss for a week now. I was hoping for 3 lbs a week. Into week 3 now.

Anyone else hungry, like all the time? I think it’s all mental. I am drinking 2l water every day which is huge for me, but I think the inner carb-addict just wants carbs, even though I think I’m not actually hungry. Been good at having the only carbs I eat as vegetables. Ive read a LOT of low carb books, incl. the new atkins and the big fat lie , the rosedale diet, and The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living… when couting carbs that if its high in fiber, the fiber counters the carbs, so if its a 20 carb, 10 fiber item, subtract the fiber, and ttl carbs are 10. Ive let my cals sneak over some days, but only with non carb items. I read once that if you consume a lot of protein, over a certain amount, and it gets stored as fat, so try to make up your extra cals in fat, not all protein.

This is a really interesting, sciency resource for low carb: https://www.grc.com/health/lowcarb.htm. I found the podcasts really helpful, though I’m such a carb addict, it seems to go in one ear and out the other. Yesterday morning, Used ketostix, def in ketosis, quite pink, but at dinner really wanted a mini buttermilk roll, 90 cals. So good….but today I feel like crap.

I noticed on this diet, aside from scale-anger-management, that I have felt better, breathing better, lungs feel clearer, sense of smell – actually walked in the park and noticed smelling better. After the carbs today I feel set back and bloated. why do we love stuff that is so bad? I wish days-off didn’t throw us so off-kilter. Im sticking with it, but have had more success in past with 5-2 and even just giving up sugar. At least with 8wk bs diet, im eating real food. Ive done the Cambridge diet for 7months, so if i can do that, i can do this. Hang in there, guys! Watch my weight on twitter .. @christinaweight

• posted by Leeanne
    on

As everyone has said, there have been many improvements other than scales wise. My skin is better by miles – I was prone to greasy skin but it’s much better now. My blood sugars have halved. I now look forward to every meal and savour every mouthful!! Some of last year’s summer clothes destined for charity shop now fit me and some are even too big. My fitness through walking has improved and I actually look forward to my walks. Just a few improvements after 6 weeks. Now to get the pesky scales to change!!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Lucyjane
    Make sure you get support from here before each event- I have been to two weddings and managed ok but a 21 st birthday party undid me. I had a teeny piece of cake- made me stuck for a week!! I ve tried to learn from that but the internal social pressure is hard to resist. You don’t want to feel antisocial. Anyway if you fall off the wagon people here will help you back on.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Christina
    To answer your question – sugar is an addictive substance! So it’s hard to stay away from. And we live surrounded by it. I was at a coffee stall at a famous museum the other day. They had dozens of items there but not one was not sugar and carbs. Luckily I wasn’t tempted. We live in a carb- addicted society. Imagine if any other addictive substance was in every shop and on every street corner! Argh !
    End of rant!
    Penny

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

Thanks everyone for the lovely supportive posts. I’m afraid I have had rather a crappy Friday and would love a glass of red but I won’t though!

Argh. Some days.

No scale change again today. Tomorrow maybe. This is slow going though! Have a gorgeous weekend everyone. Lucyjane

• posted by xrissy
    on

I’ve been rewatching the steve gibson sugar hill special, which is a ton of science behind this sort of diet, very low carb and high in fat, and where I said watch your protein, really, you must, because if you’re overdoing the protein, which is easy on this diet, then you could be making it worse. Your body only needs a certain amount of protein in a day, and any excess gets stored as glucose. I did the math for my body weight, and I only need 32g of protein a day. http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2010/05/07/ron-rosedale-protein-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/ The math is 0.7 x your LEAN body mass kg. The rest of the cals should be fat. I’ve only been watching food groups and cals, but will start keeping track of protein, fat and carbs as well. Ugh, I hate tracking. but if it will help get over the slump. Taking a walk after dinner will help burn off any excess stores of glucose (carbs) that might have snuck in, and as MM says, it preps the body for the insulin sensitivity side of things. It take 4-5 days of eating low carb, high fat to go into ketosis, and about a month for your body to adapt to using ketones from fat as fuel rather than glucose. I’m feeling inspired. Watch these for more science behind this diet:
    sugar hill I – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vfK5U9qKaI
    sugar hill II – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KKT7XFxQWg
    sugar hill III – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dByXYfxfSJk

Have a great weekend everyone.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Christina
    That is so useful, thanks!
    It also explains why I took 5 days to get back into ketosis after a teeny weeny piece of birthday cake!
    I also read in ‘Diet 101’ that the more out of control your blood sugar is, the more spectacular the effects of low carb- that may explain why some of us just crawl down half a pound at a time. My BS was ok , I just wanted to keep it that way. Nice to have an explanation.
    Penny

Please log in or register to post a reply.