Developed anaemia on BSD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nadbeil
    on

Hi there, I started BSD about 6 weeks ago. Have been consuming between 800 and 1000 cals. Cut out all grains (except porridge oats with almond milk) and refined sugars. Eating veg, meat, fish, eggs, and other standard Med diet fare. Exercising regularly. Haven’t been taking vitamin supplements regularly though. Off Metformin for at least 7 weeks. Lost around 10kg and HbA1c down to 38mmol/mol as indicated by blood tests done 3 days ago. But they’ve also indicated I’ve developed anaemia. Everything else tested normal. But will have to go for further blood tests and have stool tested too. Will be seeing GP soon. Haven’t told him I’m on BSD. Help! What should I do?

• posted by Nadbeil
    on

Forgot to say … last blood test April 2017. No anaemia flagged up. HbA1c 58mmol/mol. Had been taking slow-release metformin once a day for 3 years prior to that. But diet poorly controlled. I am aware metformin can lead to B12 deficiency. Don’t know if anaemia developed as a result of diabetes-related kidney functioning between April 2017 and now, or because of lack of nutrients on BSD.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

High Nadbeil and welcome to the community. You’re doing really well so far, great weight loss but what a pain to have developed anaemia. Obviously be honest with your doctor about the way you’re eating because you need to understand what is going on.
    Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.
    Maggie

• posted by Squidge
    on

I agree – tell the doctor the truth. I don’t think the diet can have caused it as you’re eating foods with iron and it’s not a condition which suddenly develops (nor suddenly improves). The fairly low amount of foods you’re currently eating mean that if you’d developed the condition prior to starting the diet, although there would probably be enough for normal needs, there wouldn’t be any left over to reverse a deficiency.

Please log in or register to post a reply.