Despondant…..but just gotta do it!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nancynoo
    on

Feeling a bit despondant. Have been very rigid, stuck to it and just keep plateauing (if that’s spelt incorrectly I’m sorry!). Lost two pounds last week after a nine day standstill and nothing this week…….why oh why?? Need to lose for motivation as this is such a strict regime that results should a)be quicker and b) motivate. Someone please tell me it will come off if I don’t deviate……😥. Has anyone else had long plateaus but overall long term success? X

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Hi

Plateaus are quite common on this thread. If you do a search for “plateau” in the search field you will find some threads on this. Many of us have gone through a plateau. Check if you’re drinking enough water. Also are you eating enough fat as well as protein. I certainly had a plateau some weeks back and nothing seemed to be moving, then suddenly I think I had a 2 lb loss over night. Just examine what you are eating and drinking. I’d suggest posting on here a few sample days and some experienced person (a bit more knowledgeable than me) will come along to help. Keep with it. Well done so far.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Nancynoo, as requested, I am telling you that if you stick with it, it WILL come off.

In my first 8 week round, I plateaued three times – once for 13 days, once for 6 days and once for 4 days, so 23 days in total out of 56. But after 11 weeks and 4 days, I still managed to hit my goat of 32lbs lost.

So stick with it, keep your carbs low, or lower if you have been aiming at around 50g up til now (after my first plateau I reduced to under 30g and actually averaged nearer 20g per day) and, most importantly, DRINK LOADS OF WATER (I do about 4 litres a day)

Good luck, and keep going.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Theordora is right Nancynoo, take a look at your carb intake and check that it isn’t too high. Even sticking to 800 cals a day, if the carbs are high, it can hinder weight loss. Hydration is very important, so drink plenty.

Try not to be despondent, I know it’s hard when you feel you are doing everything right and not seeing concrete results, but it will happen, as long as you stick with it. Many, many of us have been where you are now and we are here to tell you that it WILL work. and you too will be reporting positive results soon.

Best of luck!!

• posted by Nancynoo
    on

Thank you SunnyD, Theodora and Doodledootoo for your cheer!! My average carbs for last week are 28g per day, protein 68g and fat 41g with calorie average at 734. Is that about right? Good to know you have also had slow spots. Anyway….will keep on it and fingers crossed tomorrow may bring that shift….each day I hope x

• posted by Nancynoo
    on

PS. The water is definately a trial for me……always find it hard to drink loads!

• posted by GrannieAnnie
    on

Oh, the water! I find it so hard to take enough on board if I’m not at home all day. Nancynoo, keep the faith and keep going – I’ve just been ‘stuck’ for days waiting to reach my (first!) 3 stone loss mark – yes there IS another 3 stones to go – but when I averaged it out I’ve lost 3lbs a week for 13 weeks. This is so much more than I’ve ever done before and well worth the effort and change of mentality. I can’t ever see the day when I will go back to stuffing myself with carbs – consuming family packs of crisps, massive bars of chocolate, pastries and the like, which have always featured in my ‘comfort food’ list. Knowing that the fatty liver is a thing of the past and that I have done with all the garbage added to ‘low fat’ foods is really helping me to achieve a much more positive mental attitude. This is a ‘long haul’ game, not a quick fix, but we’ll all be better for it.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I wasn’t a water drinker either. I discovered my problem was the notion that I had to have water with me at all times that I then sipped throughout the day. Sipping will not cut it when you’re trying to up your intake drastically. This is the trick that worked for me: after my morning weigh-in, I drink a 14 oz glass of water on the spot. I mean I chug it down like it’s budget beer at a frat party. You don’t want to spend a moment lingering on it. In the beginning it might take you a couple of goes before you can gulp down the whole big glass, but very soon you’ll find there’s a rhythm to it.

The next 14 oz glass I drink half of with my supplements and allergy pills. Then I finish it to wash down that aspirin-y pill taste. That’s 28 oz, .8 liters, out of the way before the day’s work even starts. Next I usually go for something pleasant. A mug of tea (10 oz), flavored sparkling water (12 oz), a mug of chicken broth if it’s cold or I feeling under the weather. That is followed by another 14 oz glass of water. Even if it takes an hour to drink it all (and it usually doesn’t), you’re still well into your goal. Then another tasty beverage and that’s 64 oz or 1.9 liters.

A last glass of water, tea, coffee, etc., and you’ll be past the 2 liters a day mark. Do it for a few days and you’ll see it becomes very easy to meet and even exceed your water goals. You just have to stop thinking of it as a sipping proposition and more like an exercise regimen or, as topcac once put it, like your new job.

• posted by Nancynoo
    on

GrannieAnnie that’s fantastic – 3st bloody marvellous!! I will keep at it although just can’t imagine my loss will be anywhere like that with 10lb in 4 weeks!! Anyway – fingers crossed and keep me posted with your progress – RESPECT!!

• posted by Nancynoo
    on

Esnecca – that’s some regime! Will definitely try to up the fluids x

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

That sounds about right, but you do need to make extra efforts to stay on top of hydration, even increase it if you get a slow down, and add a little salt if you are not already doing so. Good luck and keep on keeping on.

Please log in or register to post a reply.