Day three – its early days

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Madmare
    on

Day three and I have lost 2.5 pounds – good but I have been here before and put it all back on at the week end
    This time its going to be different!
    I had a bit of a headache yesterday but drank lots of water. I was really hungry last night whilst making dinner but for once managed to snack on cherry tomatoes and lettuce
    Today I woke up not hungry at all and in a great mood
    Lets see how long it lasts
    I have wardrobes of lovely clothes I just cannot fit into … I have been told I have high blood pressure and I dont want to take drugs
    Its time for me to take control of my life

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Good start,
    this weekend in particular may be difficuilt as it’s Easter but I look forward to normal weekends when I can have a couple of really nice meals like a Sunday roast minus the potatoes and yorkies and a fried breakfast.
    The headaches will go, just keep on hydrating and take pain killers if needed. Be sure to get some full fat dairy in there too.
    Once you get into the swing of things, you will feel great and sleep better, you won’t have carb cravings and you won’t feel hungry.
    These are exciting times for T2D’s, come and join the experience.

• posted by chezza1961
    on

Hi Madmare

I too am on day 3. I checked my weight this morning – 5lb off !!!! I checked 3 times. No headaches thankfully and not hungry either. Not sleeping very well though. Try the cream of mushroom soup its lovely and really filling. Also the egg muffins. Im not looking forward to the weekend either – if I have to I’ll stay in bed any housework can wait until next week!!

Good luck to you and Bill1954

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I’m on day 34 (I think) but really I have stopped counting because this way of eating and living is so easy. The first week was a bit of a challenge with the usual withdrawal symptoms but from then on, I can honestly say this is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

You will find various approaches on the forums; some stick to 800 cals, some count carbs anywhere between 20g and 50g a day, some do shakes, others do real food. My personal choice is the 16/8 where I don’t eat for 16 hours of the day (which includes 9 hours of sleeping of course) and I have my 50g of carbs in the other 8 hours.

You will discover what works best for you as you go on. Golden rules though; keep carbs low, keep fats high (low fat products are to be banished!), keep fluid intake high, use the forums, be happy.

All the best to you.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Madmare and Chezza,
    You two are off to a great start! The first days are the worst but you soon get through it. There are lots of us here willing to support and advise if you find yourself needing a boost.
    Why not take advantage of the long weekend to pack up a picnic and go for a long walk somewhere nice? Get away from the choccy temptations and out into the fresh air. You’ll be getting exercise and escaping the madness at the same time. Even the local park would do if you can’t face the holiday traffic.
    What about a trip to the local garden centre to plan for a new vegie garden if you have room for one? It will come in handy in your new healthy life.
    Either way, make the most of your time off and have some fun. All the best for your success, will be looking out for your progress reports ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Madmare
    on

Thanks everyone its great to get such wonderful support
    Going to a friends house for dinner on Good Friday and Easter sunday is a big family get together for lunch. Just need to be prepared and think ahead – already thinking of taking my own starter of hummus and veg on Friday

• posted by Madmare
    on

Been reading some of the other blogs and realize I am probably drinking too much milk. I like my coffee and have large cups at frequent intervals with alot of milk.
    Drinking fruit teas today – lets see what happens1

• posted by Patsy
    on

Hi Chezza and Madmre. I’m on day 3 too.

Madmare. Like you I have lots of clothes which don’t fit … yet!

Chezza, we don’t do Easter and for once I’m pleased about that. I’d find it hard to resist if there was lots of chocolate about. Avoiding it as much as possible sounds like a plan. Can you ask the family to keep it out of your sight?

Haven’t weighed myself yet. Think I will tomorrow.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi madmare,
    Yes, unfortunately we do need to at least count the cals and carbs in milk, even when its just in coffee. If you can make the switch to tea then all the better. But there are also milk substitutes you could try such as soya milk (don’t go mad if you have an underactive thyroid), coconut milk, almond milk. Always go unsweetened with these. They have fewer carbs than cow’s milk.

• posted by Madmare
    on

Two more pounds gone!!

• posted by Madmare
    on

And I cycled 5 miles this morning to go and feed the horses rather than driving!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Madmare
    you really seem to have your head around this and the results are starting to show now.
    It may be a bit too early yet but soon your sleep will be more restful and you will feel, generally, much better
    Well done and keep it up.

• posted by Madmare
    on

HI Bill
    I am already sleeping like a baby
    And this morning I had the post exercise endorphin rush about an hour later when you just feel great!

I have not felt this good for years! and its only day 4

• posted by Bill1954
    on

๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
    Better than fiction isn’t it ?

• posted by Patsy
    on

Weighed myself this morning and I’ve lost 3 lbs. Quite pleased with that.

My husband just ate a biscuit and I was very tempted to have one, but resisted. He’s eating what I am in support, but having extra food too as he doesn’t need to lose any weight.

• posted by Madmare
    on

Well done Patsy!

• posted by Patsy
    on

Thanks!

Went shopping today and, apart from wine which was on offer and I won’t drink until after the 8 weeks, we only bought ‘allowed’ food. All the brightly coloured veg, herbs and some fruit on the checkout looked good and I felt a bit smug as I looked at the junk everyone else was buying. I thought it would be a lot more expensive, but it wasn’t. We were spending more on ‘bad’ food than I realised.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

That rings a bell Patsy
    My OH keeps opening the fridge in front of visitors to show them all our healthy food.
    It does look good with all the bright colours and things but we do get the odd strange look at the checkout as we start piling all the veg on there.
    Same smug feeling as well, it’s like being a kid with a secret.

• posted by Patsy
    on

He he – I like the image of people showing off their fridge full of veggies. I hope they’re suitably impressed?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Surprisingly enough they are, and that gives yours truly the opening to preach the BSD bible.
    Lots of folk showing interest too.
    I also have plumbers at work asking about it and 2 of the sales girls at a supplier and one of their mums are actually doing it

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hey Bill, good work spreading the word. You are living proof of the fact this diet works. All your contacts would see you shrinking before their eyes, they would see for themselves your extra energy too.
    I always look in other people’s trolleys too. Can’t help myself, it’s way more fun looking and speculating than flicking through the trashy mags on display.
    One thing makes me sad though is seeing the number of OAPs with loads of pot noodles instead of real food. That used to be the age group you could guarantee would have fresh fruit and veg and unprocessed meat and fish. The other ones are the obese Mums, with overweight kids who are each tucking into family sized packs of cheesy, salty twirly things before they’ve even gone through the checkout.
    Our Woolies over here in Aus has a stand near the entrance with free fruit for kids. It usually has a great selection of three or four kinds of fruit and helps keep them quiet while you shop. Great idea.
    Our nearest large shopping centre has a pop up Jamie’s Ministry of Food and it was great to look in there yesterday and see a group of young girls learning to cook omelettes cooked with fresh ingredients! Also great to see in an area that is quite welfare dependent with a growing obesity problem.
    Oops, seem to have climbed back up on my soapbox and derailed the thread! Sorry folks, just that having 5 kids and a lifetime of working in health care does make me really conscious that a lot of chronic diseases can be prevented with good nutrition. Ok better quit while I’m ahead ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Lol, no problem Cherrianne! Wow, you still have Woolies…

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Cherrieanne it is so easy to get side tracked onto this subject. I was stuck in a traffic jam this afternoon and watched in horror as an obese mother with half a dozen obese children walked past each with a family sized bag of junk – and that included the toddler in a pushchair. I wanted to jump out of the car and preach, well grab the junk and bin it if I’m honest.

Well done bill, you’re really spreading the word. I love that your wife can show off your fridge of healthy food – perhaps we should all follow her lead!

I confess to being a supermarket trolly peeker too

• posted by Madmare
    on

After a bad time over easter got back on track
    Learnt that trying to cope with emotional trauma via wine does not help
    Anyway back to the weight at 24th March – lost a week but hey ho!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sorry you had a bad time over Easter, but great that you are back on track. Don’t beat yourself up for the lost week, just concentrate on the way forward. Good luck at next weigh-in.

• posted by NellieBones
    on

I fell off the wagon over Easter too. However, since Tuesday I have been back on fast 800. What amazed me was how awful I felt on Sunday/Monday after just a few days back in the bad old ways! Headachey, fuzzy headed and drowsy – these have cleared already after a few days’ worth of good eating. If nothing else it was a useful reminder of how rubbish I used to feel- not to mention a super incentive to carry on with the good stuff! Keep going, friends, it’s good news all the way!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

NellieBones, they’ve always said experience is the best teacher! You will never want to eat certain things again! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Madmare
    on

Week three – total write off!
    Went on holiday with friends to Ireland
    Had a wonderful time ate and drank far too much but hey ho!!
    I did have one of the best meals ever in a small Irish restaurant – sort of thing would have sent master chef judges wild!

Anyway damage 5 lbs gain (I was expecting more !!).
    I now have a clear run for the other 5 weeks (adding on one as cannot be counted!!)
    Back in the saddle lost 4lbs so far this week but feeling so lethargic!! (Not like me at all). Should I be drinking more water – I only drank a litre yesterday, Any tips from anyone?

• posted by Patsy
    on

Glad you had a good time.

Drinking more water does seem to help with just about everything, so worth a try.

Please log in or register to post a reply.