Day one, hunger/craving.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Befoon88
    on

I have just done my first day on the BSD. It hasn’t been to bad. Lots of support from my mum, who has already done it. Even after she left I was ok, watched a few programmes on the tv, all ok. Reading in bed; keep being distracted from my book, firstly just by thoughts of the day. Then by thoughts of food, then on needing the loo (x3). Now of thinking about the avacardo in the fridge full cottage cheese and me gorging on it! Feeling hungry. Not massively but normally I don’t think I allowed myself to feel hungry very often. Now all I can think about is that avacardo sitting in the fridge and how good it would tast and I feel like crying.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Befoon88,
    This new lifestyle isn’t a torture chamber and if you feel like having the avocado that much then pop to the fridge, have a couple of mouthfuls and jump back into bed. I’ve been surprised how little of this kind of food satisfies my hunger and it’s not like you’re getting up to open a packet of biscuits! You’ve done the right thing on posting your thoughts here, there’s someone, somewhere in the world that can offer some support anytime of the day or night.
    What country are you in? If you’re just going to bed, it must be late, so I’m guessing the UK?
    It a lovely 24 deg C Autumn afternoon here in Australia, I’ve just hit back from an hours walk with the dog and my fit bit tells me I’m up to 15,000 steps for the day. Don’t worry, I’m 3.5 weeks in and I can tell you within the week, the hunger pangs will have diminished and you’ll be loving this new way of life๐Ÿ˜€
    Please keep in contact and let us know how you’re going.

• posted by Stacey
    on

I find the first 3 days are the hardest while your body is withdrawing from sugar/carbs. Keep telling yourself its only 3 days and I am sure you will feel better by then. Once you see the number on the scales dropping you’ll get lots of drive to push through any hunger pangs but if all else fails – Cheat with meat hahaha Not sure where I heard that but a small amount of protein can help. I usually have half a tin of tuna if I am really hungry. Keep going!!

• posted by Befoon88
    on

Thank you for your support, I managed to go to sleep without eating any avacardo. Hoora. Yes you are correct I am in the UK.
    Day two going well, had a bit if a headachand have felt a bit bad tampered. Its the evenings that are the most difficult as thats when I used to comfort eat.
    So jealous you have a dog, mine died nearly 20years ago. Now have 3 cats. Xxxx

• posted by Befoon88
    on

Hi Stacy, thanks for replying. I managed to go to sleep so didn’t eat! I look forward to the scales dropping. I’ll keep the cheat with meat in mind if I get desperate. Hope thinks are going well for you and meat cheating or tuna hunger is minimal. Xxx

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Befoon88
    I had headaches as well on days 2 & 3 + had incredibly aching legs for about the first 5 days. At first I thought it was because I had started walking for about 40 mins per day where before I was doing nothing, but now I think it was withdrawal symptoms from sugar/carbs. Don’t worry, it will get better, stick to it and I promise!
    Just remember to drink at least 2-3 litres of non calorie drinks per day along with your fats.
    Good luck this week. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Linda

• posted by Befoon88
    on

Hi Linda, how many weeks are you in to it?
    Day two I’ve had one brief headache but have been quite bad tempered at times (feels like PMT) but other than that going really well. I’m getting a lot of support from my mum, she’s done it already.
    Yeah am drinking loads of water with lemon in and herb teas. I almost stopped eating carbs for three weeks before hand so this might have reduced the early simptoms I guess. Don’t feel hungry tonight, hoora. Worried a bit about managing things at work.
    Hope all is good with you.
    Beth ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Beth
    I’m now Week 3, day 5 and down 7 kgs.
    I feel like I’m living and breathing this new way of life and not just considering it a diet. For me this is forever and I live it!
    I’ve been up and down with my weight that many times, predominantly with low fat diets, and it frustrates me that the weight just always comes back on. My family (hubby and youngest who is now 23) are now eating my way by default. If they don’t like it, they can cook their own!๐Ÿ˜œ
    I find work the easiest time. I’ve always got leftover salad from the night before and I combine it with a boiled egg or a small tin of tuna and take it in a container. Voila! It keeps me going till dinner and is nutritious. The biggest pain is the 6 cups of herbal tea that I drink throughout the day and the subsequent visits to the loo, but it’s 55 steps and down and up a set of stairs to get there and back, so it adds to my step count!
    I’m in an office 3 days a week, what sort of work do you do?
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Befoon88
    on

Hi Linda,
    I work on ambulances with paramedics. Used to be called EMT but now called EAC, its a money thing. So I do shift work which plays havoc with food and sleep patterns. We very rarely get meal breaks and have to manage on the 14 minutes we have at hospital. I’ve been having hummus, cream cheese, salad and Felafal so far but with the new 800 I’ll have to measure the amounts and take berry fruit salad. Its an adjustment. Problem is gonna be night shifts but I’m gonna be off them for 2
    months so at least I’ll have the 8 weeks done. Can’t wait to start losing. Great job withvthe 7kg, it doesn’t mean much cos we use stone, I know crazy poms right!?
    We have a lot of Aussy student medics that we stole cos we don’t have enough, they are great fun on the whole but non of them can drive tge ambos yet!
    Feeling really positive and it really helps to have support like this. I’ve been very overweight for about 25 years. I have had brief times that I’ve been lighter but in the last 7 years I’ve gradually got up to 18 stone, I think thats about 115kg.
    I must stop this chin-wagging and go to sleep it’s 00:12 here.
    Gooday from you but good night from me! Heehee.
    Beth.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Beth! The first days are sometimes difficult as you move to a new way of eating — just take it slow, be kind to yourself, and focus on just this day, just this meal — you can work your way into this eating plan slowly, don’t worry right now about all the weeks ahead, just focus one day at a time on what is healthy today. We are a big group of people who care about your outcome — you are going to do fine!

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Beth
    Hope you had a restful sleep๐Ÿ˜€
    I know exactly what you’re talking about regards shift work. I used to be a police officer in my younger days and I particularly hated night shift, especially when it was quiet around 4am as I just couldn’t stay awake!
    7kg = 15.4lbs. There’s 2.2lbs to the kilo, so just over 1 stone in 3 weeks. I’ll take that!
    I know all about you poms, my Dad is one! Escaped after the war and came here when he was 17 and jumped shipped from the English Merchant Navy, he’s 87 next month. My sister decided 20 years ago that she much preferred the cold weather of England than the hot weather of Australia (we’re in Sydney), so she has now made her home over there in Cheltenham close to my Dads family. I think she’s crazy, I hate the cold weather. Our winter is bad enough and most days are sunny with a max temp between 18-23 deg c๐Ÿ˜Š
    Are you in London? That would be hectic doing what you do.
    Keep up the exercise and eat well, you will do it!
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Befoon88
    on

Hi Linda,
    I didn’t sleep at all! Brain would just not switched off. I just kipped for 2hours on the sofa. I’m on earlies for the next few days so hopefully will sleep well tonight.
    Your story about your dad is interesting. I could have been Australian, my great grandad did the same as your dad only after the First WW! but he died on the way over from the effects of mustard gas from the war.
    Happy birthday to your dad.
    Yes I’m in London, its mostly manlc at work as we’re vastly under staffed.
    It’s fresh but sunny here. Time for making lunch.
    All the best.
    Beth.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Beth
    You must be running around like a chook with its head cut off!! So hectic!
    There’s a show on Foxtel about an English first response team in various parts of the U.K., I think it’s called ’24 hours to live’. I love watching all that stuff.
    You should sleep well tonight, you must be exhausted, don’t be tempted to grab something quick and junky, are you able to plan ahead and cook some food in bulk?
    How about Australia coming 2nd in the Eurovision Song Contest! What the hell were we doing there in the first place!!!!
    We’ve got another lovely day predicted for today, 24 deg c and sunny. I’m going to walk the dog up to Mum and Dads (60mins there + back), then come home and do some gardening.
    Hope you had a great day!

• posted by Befoon88
    on

Hi Linda,
    Yeah, some days I can relate to that poor chook, though today so farnot too bad. Have lost 1.2kg in the first 3 days. Hoora! I managed to sort some of my lunch food out yesterday then just chopped a bit of salad this morning. Its sunny and cloudy 14 c according to the ambulance. Woking with a lovely aussy today. Work till 16:00, then if not too tired a bit of study, dinner, bed.
    Have a good one.
    Beth.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Beth
    That’s brilliant about the weight loss. Keep it up! Is it getting easier to get your head around the food you need to eat?
    Yes, we Aussies seem to have a reputation for being fun to work with and being hard workers when we’re overseas. Shame a few of our local council workers couldn’t take a page out of their book. My weigh in day is tomorrow but I took a sneak look this morning and I’m 0.9kg down (1.98lb) so I hope it either stays that way or gets better. I’ll let you know.
    In Sydney it got to 27 deg c today which considering we’re only 2 weeks from the start of winter, is absolutely amazing. Lots of people out walking dogs and enjoying the sunshine.
    What are you studying?
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Befoon88
    on

Hi Linda,
    Great weight loss well done.
    I’m studying for work to go from EMT1 to EMT3. The course starts on the 6th of June. Its very intensive so am trying to get a head start.
    Its 15.5ยฐc here, sunny and cloudy again.
    Diet ok so far. Off work tomorrow, I’ll have to keep busy so as not to stray.
    My stray cat I’ve had for 10 months purred this morning, only the third time he has. I had given him my bacon rind ๐Ÿ˜€ . So cute.
    I expect its bedtime there so have a good sleep.
    Beth.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Thanks Beth, I’m about to head off soon, so will do.
    It’s funny, I’ve achieved so much lately on my days off, it’s not funny, more energy I guess.
    We’ve got 1 cat and 2 dogs (both Labradoodles). The cat is around 12 and the dogs are 11 & 10. They can be soooo funny and all have their own distinct personalities!
    Good luck studying and have a great day off and be strong and plan ahead!
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Frog
    on

Purry cat must have been so rewarding Befoon – mine was very purry when I had steak just now!
    First day today – made a huge ratatouille and set up a spreadsheet, waiting for a spiralizer to arrive!
    Quite busy with lots of stuff to do today – bonus of being active and not tempted by sitting around thinking about food.

• posted by Befoon88
    on

Hi Frog,
    Love the name, I love frogs. Have a frog pond in my garden and a little statue that makes me smile.
    Steak! How many calories is that?
    I’ve been at work all day should be finished but in a BIG que at a&e. Big sad face ๐Ÿ™ poor cats (and me) will be starving.
    I’m off for 2 days when I get home , very worried about managing not to eat, as you say I’ll have to keep busy.

• posted by Frog
    on

Thank you Befoon – Frog is after my cat, Froglet, or Miss Frog.
    Steak was OK – 230ish calories, less whatever Miss Frog scrounged! – so only about 500 (& 26g of carbs) in total today. I might have some yoghurt later, but I don’t really feel hungry!

• posted by Befoon88
    on

Day 5.
    Last night i got off shift two and a half hours late, i was starving. I managed to ignore the little voice in my head that told me to go to the fish and chip shop, or buy bread or pizza on the way home. I got home and had a few minutes of panic. I sat and remebered what LindaA had said about avacardo not being the end of the world. So I weighed the half an avacardo and cottage cheese, then ate the lot. I still felt hungry but les desperate so managed to work out I could have steamed greens with a small amount of cheese grated on and a berry fruit with yoghurt pud and only go over a little. Hoora so pleased with myself for managing not to give in. Thanks for the support.

• posted by LindaA
    on

You go girl๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    That’s excellent news, well done!
    Keep it up!
    Linda

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Beth
    How are you going now? 1 week in today? How much did you lose?
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Jules27
    on

Love this conversation. You guys are so supportive of each other.

I’m in Newcastle Australia. I haven’t started yet I’m just getting myself families and organised.

It’s hard trying to do something a bit different in a household of 7 people, all with differing tastes and nutritional needs.

I’ve spoken to a few people at work and there are a few of us who want to give it a go so we are going to get together at lunchtime next week and work out how to go about it together:)

Well done to you all, I’m looking forward to blogging about my challenges and successes soon.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Welcome Jules27
    I’m from Sydney so we’re neighbours of sorts!
    I generally cook for 3 every night and they eat what I cook or they get their own! The food is healthy, nutritious and yummy so they don’t have much to complain about!
    Can’t wait to hear how your colleagues and yourself are getting on, jump in, you’ll love it.
    Just drink at least 2-3 litres of water a day, only eat full fat, not low fat or skim, walk every day and get hold of the book and read it from cover to cover.
    I’m now on week 5, day 4 and I’m 8.1kg down! It’s easy!
    Cheers
    Linda

Please log in or register to post a reply.