Day 5 so far didn’t expect it to be so emotional?!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Melliedaffodils
    on

Hi everyone I’m on day 5 and just getting used to all this. I’m not in a place I expected to be in that I’m finding it ok actually sticking to it and this is probably the first time in my 49 years that I’ve gone this long without carbs or any sugar. I’m a busy working mum and it’s the having to think what I’m going to eat which is hard so I’m trying to plan ahead as best as I can. But I’m very emotional quite tearful in evenings which is so unlike my usual self but this gets better, yes? I have no particular major emotional issues but am thinking maybe I’m a comfort eater and taking away the food particularly the sweet stuff is leaving me vulnerable?. Any advice gratefully received thanks xx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

You are fretting for your previous life as this is such a big thing. Some people feel deprived and get angry some get weepy. It will pass in a couple of days.

• posted by Flick
    on

Hi Melliedaffoldils, first up, huge congrats for your stunning success so far! I reckon the first week is the toughest, carb and sugar withdrawals, the stress of wondering whether you are going to be able to do it, new style of meals to come to grips with.

For some people, the withdrawal from carbs (remembering they trigger your dopamine pleasure systems) can include a bit of teariness. It doesn’t necessarily mean you are a comfort eater with otherwise disguised unhappiness, it is probably just your body doing what you want it to do. And it will most likely pass quite quickly. Even the new way of eating will start to feel familiar and much easier to manage.

Anyway, congrats on just about completing week 1!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I once literally beat my forehead against the wall when I stepped on the scale and saw the numbers had gone up for no reason. My OH came running in when he heard the noise of madness and I blubbered like an infant for a few minutes while he made sweet reassuring noises. Then I got it together and moved on. This is a rollercoaster ride and begininning, middle and end, you will experience moments of hyperemotional sensitivity, rage, despair, glee, triumph and all the rest of the magical rainbow of human feeling. Treat all those impostors just the same and keep your eyes on the prize.

The takeaway lesson is you cracked the first week and what you thought would be a giant unscalable mountain turned out to be a rolling hill. A little rocky, but entirely manageable. You’re doing great, Melliedaffodils. Congratulations!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Melliedaffodils – week one can be very tough going, but it will get easier as your body gets used to no longer relying on carbs. This is not always an easy road to tread, but it can definitely be done. There will be highs and lows, but we are all here to support you. I haven’t seen you on other threads, so my advice would be to join a few and you will find you’re not alone in any of this. Having the support of the lovely folks on this forum certainly saw me through rough points and urged me on when I was faltering and doubting whether I could stay the course.

Finally, be kind to yourself. It’s okay to feel down and emotional and it won’t last forever. “Only one principle will give you courage, that is the principle that no evil lasts forever nor indeed for very long” – quote: Epicurus (341-271 B.C.)

Best wishes to you – hope to see you on other threads soon.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Melliedaffodils, if this is a really big change for you, it’s not surprising you’re a bit emotional. I’m wondering whether you’re so used to looking after your family and home and doing your job that it feels weird to be thinking about yourself for a change? Remember that by looking after your health, you’re setting them a great example.

Meal planning is helping me. Any diet I’ve tried before has failed and one of the main reasons is probably a lack of planning. If you don’t have everything you need for a ‘good’ meal then you’re going to eat something else, aren’t you? I’m trying as much as possible to adapt the meals we were eating before. Eg, swap rice for salad, and potatoes for Brussels sprouts. One advantage of planning is that if I know what we’re having for the next meal, I look forward to eating that, rather than wishing for things I shouldn’t be eating.

Please log in or register to post a reply.