Day 1 – Wondering if exercise affects the 800

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by mesin1
    on

Starting today to get myself fit and healthy again and just wondering what affects exercise has on the 800. According to my fitness pal I am burning some 6-700 calories a day so wondered if I need to increase my intake accordingly.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

No, it is important to stick to 800 to shock the body into losing visceral fat. It is not recommended that you do exercise in the first couple of weeks so you can give your body time to adjust and you will feel tired. I swim every day and still do it on 800 but I have to carefully watch my BG and time exercise so I am not doing it on an empty stomach. You learn to incorporate exercise into the diet. I doesn’t matter if you are 5 foot like woman like me or a hunking great man, it is still 800.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi mesin1 — I’m going to agree with sunshine girl because I love exercise/all sports and my five months on the BSD was an eye opening experience for a sporty person — I lost weight MORE quickly with LESS exercise — completely unexpected and counter intuitive but I would recommend you cut back just a bit in the beginning — exercising enough to burn off 600-700 calories is a large amount of high intensity exercise and it might actually slow down your weight loss.
    My theory after playing around with it for several weeks was that exercise was triggering “hoarding” on the part of my body because I was probably getting to a starvation level by burning off all my calories.
    If you do work out that much, I would add back in calories (at least half).
    My best loss was while I was doing a lazy Jazzercise hour five times a week — just wiggling and dancing — I had to do that for about a month when I hurt my knee — I lost faster and with less hunger than ever. I’m on maintenance now and back to my old sports but I just eat until I am full, keeping very low carb (40 grams/day).
    I am like many women, I used exercise to keep my weight in control but as you get older, you just can’t work out as hard or as many (endless) hours as before — the funny thing is, it was always counter-productive but I didn’t know that! All those years, eating the wrong foods (carbs) and then trying to burn it off — what a joke.
    It was ALWAYS easier and I just didn’t know it!

• posted by Mermaid
    on

Oh, I’ve just seen this. I’ve been running 5k before breakfast 3x a week and walking everyday. Perhaps that’s why my weight loss has stopped in week 2?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Don’t worry about a week 2 slowdown in weight loss. Your body will pick it’s own time to let go of the weight, search for ‘whoosh effect’ on the forum and you will see that such stalls happen to almost all of us and are related to fat burning related water retention. I didn’t cut back on my exercise while doing the 8 weeks at 800, but I was already very well fat burning adapted from doing low carb 5:2 including some fast days on exercise days. If you aren’t ‘hitting the wall’ on your run then it sounds like you are pretty well adapted yourself, and if you are adapted, then the more exercise you do the more fat you will burn.

• posted by Mermaid
    on

Hi Mixnmatch,
    Thanks, it’s good to know that week 2 slowdown is so normal.
    I’d been doing other diets (with very slow weight loss and none off my belly) before starting te 800, and I’ve been doing the 0-5k run app for several weeks.
    I did hit a wall last Friday, and really felt that weakness associated with low blood sugar, but most days I’ve found that I have more energy. It’s got to come from somewhere, right?

Please log in or register to post a reply.