Day 1 (Newbie)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Seadog
    on

Hi all, here I am on the end of my first day !. It’s been a bit of a rollercoaster today, mainly as I had to get up for work at 4am and then cycle to work, but all in all, I’m doing OK. I’ve had some strange emotions today, must admit I’ve been a bit irritable and at one point around lunchtime I got a little anxious which was unsettling !. Around 4pm I had a really bad headache, but that may just be tiredness !.
    I must admit, I haven’t been hungry today, not once ! My brain has tried to trick me a few times, (the cheese looked rather appealing when I was making the kids lunches earlier on !),but I haven’t given in.
    So, I’ve had three meals today and no snacks, this is a rundown,

Breakfast – Green juice with Kale, Spinach, frozen berries, nuts and seeds, half an avocado and some coconut water.
    Lunch – A green salad with a boiled egg and sardines
    Dinner – White fish and steamed vegetables

I’ve also drunk 2 1/2 litres of water today as I’ve been particularly thirsty.

I’m going to check in every day with a mini-blog, mainly for my own satisfaction, but also to help others .

Tips so far ? I’ve found chewing some sugar free gum is great for getting rid of a hunger pang, also practicing mindfullness, that is distracting myself away from silly and unhealthy food choices. I also know that I may slip up from time to time, but I’m in this for the long haul !!.

I weighed myself this morning, and after getting over the shock !! I have the following results –

Wt – 261.4 lbs

And my fasting blood sugar was 6.7, which means I’m pre-diabetic !. If ever something was going to spur me on it’s that !! Jeez, I’m only in my forties, and I’m pre-diabetic !!

The plan is to weigh myself twice a week, and check my B/S weekly.

Anyway, that’s it for now, all the best

Kev

• posted by PescoVeggieDownUnder
    on

All the best with your 8 week journey Kev. I’m 12 days into the diet and all is going well. I lost 2.5kg (5.5lbs during the first week). For the first 10 days or so, I felt very tired and weak, especially following my gym workouts. I was drinking plenty of water but I discovered that drinking half a teaspoon of salt in a glass of water beforehand, helps enormously. Thus, I’m now feeling fine. In fact, I’m about to drink that salty water as I’m on the way to the gym.

Keep us up-to-date with your progress.

Cheers.

• posted by Tia Maria
    on

Good luck and stick to it – you will flag during your first week and possibly suffer headaches.
    I am on day 19 and since about day 6 have felt great – my weight loss so far is 11lbs.

I am not diabetic or (hopefully not) pre-diabetic so haven’t done my blood sugar. As both parents were diabetic and died relatively young I have to get my weight and eating habits sorted now.

• posted by Seadog
    on

Day 2

OK, another successful day, a little harder than yesterday, woke up absolutely famished but somehow managed to wait till breakfast !.
    I also woke up during the night really thirsty ?, strange since I drank 3 litres of water yesterday ? Anyway, food wise, I ate fairly similar meals to yesterday –

Breakfast – Green juice with kale, spinach, fruit, coconut water, half an avocado and some spirilina (yuck !)
    Lunch – Tuna salad with an egg, cottage cheese (full fat) and tomatoes etc
    Dinner – Fish with veg stir fried with courgette/haloumi combo, and some tinned tomatoes as a sauce.

I’ve also drunk 3 litres today of water, and have made so many trips to the loo !!

How am I feeling ?, bloomin awful this morning, but as I write this, I’m feeling really energetic and really positive about things !
    Oh, I also made the cloud recipe earlier on with my 7 year old daughter, I liked it, (tomorrows lunch) but my daughters face was priceless !!, she has told me that I’m the worst cook in the world and am never to go near the kitchen again, success there then !.

Ive been reading through the posts on here, and picked up some tips,namely having a bovril drink if I get really hungry, and planning the next days food (or even the entire week). I’m only two days in, but I seem to have made friends with my tummy again, it’s not gurgling away like it normally does !

Anyway, second day done and I’m definitely on the up !!

Kev

• posted by Seadog
    on

Typo !! I made cloud bread in case you’re wondering !!

• posted by Seadog
    on

Day 3

The journey continues…

Woke up feeling really empty, this is obviously going to be my ‘thing’, I have to be careful I don’t make bad choices in the morning, so today I had a pint of cold water as soon as I got up, it seems to do the trick, until I get myselg organised with breakfast !.

I’ve been feeling a bit ‘lost’, I suppose it’s the sugar withdrawal ?, I also feel a little lightheaded but I’m sure that will pass.

Food diary for today –

Breakfast – Weekend ‘treat’, so scrambled egg (1 egg) and a rasher of bacon
    Lunch – Green salad with sardines, cottage cheese.
    Dinner – A Sri Lankan lentil sambar, ready meal from Waitrose as I’m working, oh with some veg as well.

At 9pm I had the major munchies, so i made a bovril drink, which is going to take me a while to get used to, but seemed to take the edge off my hunger !

I hope it’s ok to keep a diary like this on here, It feels good to write down my day and highlight any thoughts !

I slept like a baby last night, I normally wake up a few times during the night, but slept right through and felt really rested when I got up, also apparently my snoring has improved (says my wife), so long may that continue !.
    I’m also chewing gum, but I don’t want to carry on for too long because of the artificial sweeteners in it, and we all know how bad they are for you.
    It’s becoming very clear to me that the secret above all else, is drinking loads of water. It just works, simple. I’m aiming for 2-3 litres a day.
    Final thought ? I’m going to start HIIT exercise on Monday morning as I have a home gym with a bike on a turbo trainer, so I’m looking forward to that.

Goodnight all.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Hey Kevin
    I sympathise with the bit about the kid’s lunches! That’s my struggle too. But you can do this… and it will hopefully mean you are around and in good health to see the grandkids too.

• posted by tamznlaws
    on

Goodluck Kev keep posting I’m enjoying the read.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Well done Kev, for me too, one of the best things has been getting a better night’s sleep. Maybe its a side effect of eating so many carbs that we never really appreciated. Just watch out for those ready meals though – they can contain a lot of sugar and all sorts of other nasties and I’m not surprised it didn’t fill you for long!

Please log in or register to post a reply.