Dairy Reaction

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mother_Ridler
    on

Hi everyone
    I’m in the book reading phase ready to start after Christmas. I’m looking at the menus and there’s a lot of cheese/yoghurt. I have a reaction both these causing inflammation in my joints and gastro upset.
    I currently use a vegan, coconut oil based cheese, mainly as an ingredient for cooking. Has anyone had any experience substituting this for cheese in the recipes? Also, although I don’t tend to have a substitute yoghurt if there’s any positive experience with that I’d be grateful to hear about it.
    Many thanks

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi, You don’t have to follow the recipes in the book.

I am a veggie, so couldn’t follow them. – I started off by cutting out the “big whites”, sugar, flour, pasta, bread, cake, high sugar chocolate.

Then once I had got used to that change in my diet I started to monitor my macros more closely. I used the fatsecret app on my mobile phone to enter everything I was thinking about eating and set myself targets on the maximum number of grams of carbs, and calories. Then you are free to eat whatever you want that meet your settings.

on

Thanks JGwen
    I thought I was getting my head round I all then came in here and there’s talk of macro’s and daily allowance of stuff.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Mother Riddler, you don’t have to worry about macros or daily allowance ever if it isn’t comfortable or interesting to you. Just start with the advice from the book and go from there. Many people on the forum have developed further interest in macros and daily allowances as a way to continue for long periods of time or just for personal interest.
    One of the things about this way of eating is that you tend to develop a wide-ranging curiosity about diet and the body and how it all works — most of us have struggled with weight for years and it is fascinating to discover why that was so.
    But to begin with, just start!! That’s the most important thing and you can get more into all that later on if you wish.
    This way of eating works — you are going to amaze yourself!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Mother Riddler,
    Sorry if my suggestion on a solution to not being able to follow all the recipes in the book confused you.

Are there some you can eat? If so focus on those, also maybe have a look online for alternatives. A lot of people like the dietdoctor website for recipes, and there are some recipes on this forum as well.

on

No need to apologise JGwen… I think my last post read wrong, sorry. I wasn’t having a go..
    What I should have said was that there is way more to this than I have ever realised. I’m going to start basic and only investigate the other bits when I have time, or if the diet is stalling and I don’t know why.
    In the meantime literally counting down the days until I start. Mentally I’m so ready but just need to get the last few Christmas plans done and then I’m on it.

Please log in or register to post a reply.