DAILY PEAK AND PIT 2017

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by jmarie41
    on

PEAK: I got 30 minutes on the elliptical in! I also weighed in this morning and my weight dropped a bit.
    That felt good! I painted a picture for the wall. It turned out well and I really enjoyed painting it! My husband returned from his business trip. I got a pedicure!!! Lot’s of PEAK’S today.

PIT: No pits!! It was a good day!!! :–)

• posted by Angela06
    on

That’s amazing. What a very satisfying day. I love the idea of the pedicure…I think I’ll make an appointment today. My skin could do with pampering in this cold weather. Thank you for the reminder that such things exist!

Yesterday I didn’t do well. I have been trying to puzzle out why about once a week I seem to have a real setback and it takes a fair effort to not throw my hands in the air and give up. About once a week I add in some lentils because I like them and because they’re good for me but looking back at my journal I see that on the day I after I’ve had them I eat, BSD for sure but like a maniac but it’s all calories isn’t it? So now I have understood that I can’t have carbohydrate rich foods. At all. Or at least not unless I want to pay big time for them. Not worth it. So I just need to remember that in future.

Peak for yesterday is also the pit…I had just my granddaughter yesterday who is pure energy. I love to see her but she runs everywhere and runs fast. There’s no way I can keep up. Oh and she doesn’t really listen. Her intentions are good but once she’s sees something interesting she’s off. So exercise wise it’s all good but I wouldn’t like to guess what my stress levels are like!

What sort of granddaughters do you have? Are they into art and drawing too like you?

Have a good day…

• posted by Angela06
    on

I have reread your post for yesterday, jmarie, and I see that you’ve got family coming to stay. How lovely to have your mother and sister together. Looking back I think we didn’t do that often enough. Do you have anything special planned?

I hope you have a good time together….

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Good morning Angela! I woke up to see you have posted during the night while I was sleeping. Yay! Our 9 hour difference works out well for something like this :–). I would have never guessed that just adding healthy lentils to your diet leads to carb cravings the next day! Lentils are supposed to add lots of fiber to your diet and be slowly metabolized. I guess you are eating low carb enough on most days that your body really notices the jump in carbs on the days you eat those; then it craves more (just a thought–I’m no expert)! I notice on the days I eat fage yogurt which has 18 grams of protein and has 7 grams of carbs, that I feel hungry within a couple hours of eating it. I have half and half in my coffee and it doesn’t seem to do that . So what’s nice is that you’ve identified the effect the lentils are having on your cravings and you know what to expect when you eat them.
    I’m doing okay so far with not eating a lot of carbs–no serious craving yet–but I’m eating too many calories to lose weight very quickly. That is the beauty of eating 800 calories. The weight drops pretty quickly! For some reason I am having a very difficult time eating that low. The days I try and don’t make it, I tend to eat even more food, after I go over the 800. Probably because mentally I feel like I’ve failed. So I have to reassess! I need to continue to keep the nice amount of weight off that I’ve lost and slowly keep it moving down until I am at the weight I want to be. It will for sure go a lot slower but I won’t feel like I’ve failed when I go over 800 calories. Failure for me will be regaining the weight and I don’t want to do that.

Angela, my 4 granddaughters are age 10 (11 next week), 6 (turns 7 in March), 7 (turns 8 in June), and 2 (turns 3 in September). 10 yr. old Ava loves Art and when we spend time together, we usually paint. Kayla, who is 6, has the most energy. She sounds a lot like your granddaughter; a very busy girl! I am worn out when she goes home!
    For me, one wonderful part of being a grandparent is spending time with them, spoiling them a bit and then sending them home. We usually watch Ava and her sister, 7 yr. old Abbie for a couple weeks in the summer since they live in North Carolina now. I love those times but I feel more like their parent during those visits instead of their grandparent. I clearly don’t have the energy like I did when I was a parent and honestly I look forward to not having to take care of someone 24/7. It is a lot of work! When I think back to all the years I did that when our kids were growing up, I’m amazed that I got through it. I actually loved being a parent but being a grandparent is the whipped cream with a cherry on top of the ice cream sundae of raising children. So nice that you get to spend quality time with your grandchildren but it isn’t full time. The best of both worlds!

Today I have the day off and I still have to drive almost to the area where I work to see the dermatologist. It is raining and I am dreading it! I’m hoping the roads aren’t snarled with traffic accidents. The appointment is at 11:15 am so I’ll have to leave the house about 10 am. I should miss most of the morning commute! I’m not sure what I want to do with my day after that. I for sure have to make sure the house is in order for my weekend guests, but I also want to do something fun too!

I hope you’ll go get your pedicure Angela. It is so relaxing and my feet are so much softer now with the pampering that was done to them. :–)

I’ll check back in later to write my PEAK and PIT for today!

• posted by jmarie41
    on

PEAK: Went to see the movie, “La La Land”. I had seen the preview’s and didn’t think I’d like it but I actually ended up liking it.

PIT: My sister had to have 4 teeth pulled and has a serious infection so won’t be coming to spend the weekend. My mom may not come down either since snow is expected up in the foothills for the next two days.

I ate a large soft pretzel at the movie. I thought about it and decided I wanted to eat it! I have to say I did enjoy it. I’m sure I won’t enjoy seeing my blood sugar and weight up tomorrow.

Also, I went to my dermatology appointment today and he took a culture. He thinks I may have a staph infection on my face. I should find out sometime in the next week. I also showed him an area on my back that itches and feels like a scratch. He says it looks like some kind of spider bite. Yikes! I hate spiders!!! To think one was on me creeps me out!!

• posted by Angela06
    on

On the subject of grandchildren I once saw a T shirt with the words: If I’d known grandchildren were so much fun, I’d have had them first!
    And my mother in law had a magnet on her fridge: Grandchildren spoilt while you wait!
    I understand both sentiments perfectly…
    Well what a shame you’re not going to have a family visit and how awful to have an infection after dental surgery. Your poor sister! I hope she’ll feel better soon.
    I’m looking out for the movie…there are several cinemas that show films in English but we sometimes have to wait. Sometimes the film is actually out on DVD before it gets to our cinemas! Never mind, a cinema trip is always nice. I can’t imagine a pretzel will make too much difference. I had some chocolate yesterday (mea culpa)that I found in the back of the fridge. I’d hidden it at Christmas…I enjoyed it and it didn’t make a difference this morning though I did have vegetable soup for dinner to compensate.

Yesterday’s peak was a very pleasant walk down the canal. I wouldn’t have liked to do it alone but I had company and we had a coffee afterwards.
    The pit: still got the sniffles so I guess I’ve got something, cold or allergies: who knows!
    And another peak, the mimosa is starting to bloom which always lifts my spirits…
    Have a good weekend, Janet. Hope you’ve got something fun lined up.

• posted by jmarie41
    on

So nice, Angela, that you had a nice walk along the canal yesterday with your friend! How is the weather doing there? Did you get any snow? Hope your sniffles clear up! Not sure which is worse; a cold or allergies? The Mimosa Trees are so beautiful –spring is on the way!!!! :–)

Today is Inauguration Day here in the U. S. ! It is also our college faculty day so instead of watching the new President be sworn in, I’ll be listening to the college President give her state of the college address. Each semester we all meet and she gives her speech! Classes officially begin on Monday.

I am meeting a friend and colleague in town and we are driving together to the college! I am thankful that she likes to drive since it is raining really hard this morning.

This weekend is still up in the air regarding my mom’s visit. She hasn’t contacted us yet to let us know if she is coming down or not. The weather report for her area shows snow on and off until about 5pm when it is supposed to snow into the early hours of Saturday morning. We are attending a 35th anniversary dinner on Saturday for my brother and sister in-law. My twin sister (who is also following the BSD now) and I are hoping there will be some meat and salad or vegetables for dinner, so we can stay on plan. We are dreading a dish like Lasagna but very possible since they will be serving a large of amount of people. There is sure to be plenty of carbs!

My blood sugar was down this morning but my weight was up 2 lbs. from yesterday! I’m not going to worry about it. Most likely it is water weight. I’m back on plan today!

I’m off to get ready for work. Wishing you a great weekend Angela! Do you have plans to do something fun?

• posted by jmarie41
    on

PEAK: Went to lunch with a few colleagues; nice to catch up on things with them! This morning I weighed two pounds less than yesterday; glad the water weight came off.

PIT: Didn’t stay on BSD track completely. I had a beer at lunch and some chocolate after dinner. My mom couldn’t make the drive down since she got snowed in at her place.

• posted by Angela06
    on

Hi JM, I missed a bit there…don’t quite know how that happened. Such a pity you didn’t get to see your mother this time. Do you see her often? Did you have your anniversary dinner?

We’ve been quiet here, had my daughter’s partner’s birthday yesterday…I managed not to eat the cake and had a coffee with milk instead. Strangely enough it seems enough maybe because I wasn’t a coffee drinker pre BSD. But then a lot of my tastes have changed.

My peak, apart from not eating the cake, was a lively walk down by the sea yesterday. We don’t get waves too often on the Med but these were quite special and I came home with hair and sunglasses covered in salt. It put me in a good mood for the day!

The pit..nothing much comes to mind BSD wise..I’ve been quite careful food wise and I’m enjoying being outside. Today we’re due rain so we’ll see how enthusiastic I am about walking.

Have a super Sunday, enjoy your rest day! Angela

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Happy Sunday Angela! The anniversary party turned out well. It was a group of about 20 close friends and family. My mom seemed to take it well that you she couldn’t attend. I know she was a bit disappointed but was enjoying watching it snow and doing lots of quilting. I see my mom a few times a year but really need to make more of an effort to visit her. She lives about 3 hours away.

There was only a couple BSD friendly foods (kind of) at the dinner. The menu was Fettuccine Alfredo, Spaghetti and Meatballs with Marinara sauce, two types of salads, fruit and french bread with butter. Drinks were wine and beer! Carrot cake and Red Velvet cake, bowls of chocolate kisses and peppermint patties on the dinner tables.
    I chose 1 meatball although I’m sure it was also made with breadcrumbs and a bit of the Caesar Salad minus the croutons. I also drank wine and had a beer. It wasn’t perfect but I got through with minimal damage!

It sounds like you did well Angela avoiding the birthday cake! Nice that your tastes have changed and you’re not craving sweets. Coffee with cream has helped me through quite a few times when I have wanted sweets. Unfortunately I still get hit by those cravings now and then. I have found that if I just don’t have it, it is easier then if I have a little. Once I taste something, like for example, “just 1 cookie”, I want another and another. If I don’t have it at all, I don’t have as intense of a craving.

Your walk down by the sea, watching the waves, sounded wonderful! What a nice day you had. And. . .no “PIT”. . .I have this feeling your going to have good results on the BSD this coming week. Congrats!

Tomorrow morning I plan to stop on my way to work at the medical center and get my blood work taken care of. I have put it off too long and it’s time to face the results. I will find out my cholesterol break down, my fasting blood sugar and my A1C. I’m just hoping it isn’t too out of whack. I won’t be able to have any food or water after 7 pm tonight in order to get my blood work done at 7 am. It should take a day or two to get the results.

Today I plan to get things in order for the work week ahead! My husband and I are also planning a walk while the sun is shining. The sky looks blue right now and rain is expected again by the end of the day so we need to get out there and enjoy the day.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend! They go by way to fast.

• posted by Angela06
    on

You’re right about weekends..they certainly fly by! Well, yours seems like it was fun and well done for avoiding all the carby food…I love Caesar salad..yummy!

Good luck with the blood test. Since starting the BSD my results have been withinthe normal range apart from the good cholestrol which was a bit higher. I haven’t been back to the doctor’s yet but it’s on my to do list.

I’m an all-or-nothing girl too so I sympathise with you. I feel glad to be (almost) rid of the compunction to eat..though it surfaces from time to time. We are really helping ourselves with this WOE, I think.

Peak partly yesterday and today…treated myself to a tiny slice of galette des rois, epipthany cake. Then had the strength to put the last slice in the bin..so proud of myself!

Plenty of pits..no walk today, really busy, didn’t feel like going to work and backache…feeling grumpy! It will pass..

Hope you have a pleasant Monday, blood test notwithstanding. Angela

• posted by topcac
    on

I think I might join this thread if I may. Having had mostly pits this weekend I feel the need to try and focus on the peaks.

So peak for today – am only 1200 steps short of my 10000 steps for today having been for a 45 minute walk at lunchtime.

Pit: Having to fast because I ate my body weight in chocolate coffee beans yesterday at a wedding – oops

• posted by jmarie41
    on

topcac~ So glad you are joining us! Great news on getting your steps in today. It was worth that 45 minute walk at lunch. Those chocolate coffee beans sound good. Are those the one’s that are a coffee bean with a chocolate covering? If so, did you get energy from the caffeine? My husband loves those too!

Angela~Congrats on enjoying your last piece of Epipthany cake and then being able to toss the rest away! I can see why you are proud of yourself. That isn’t easy to do! Well done!!!! Also, it must feel good to have normal readings on your blood work.

Sorry to hear about your backache! I hope that improves quickly. For sure it makes a person not want to go to work. Did you do something to aggravate it? Is it a new pain or a chronic one?

I ended up not going in this morning for my blood work. I went to bed early, about 8:30 pm and slept until 10:30 pm, then I was awake until almost 1 am. I slept until 3:45 am and of course by then I was sound asleep when the alarm went off. I wear my fitbit to bed and it wakes me up with vibration on my wrist. My backup is my iphone that I set for 5 minutes later than the fitbit. So far (knock on wood) I’ve never slept through the wrist vibration. Anyway, to make what should be a short story, longer (ha!), I didn’t feel good and was wanting coffee with cream so I decided to put the test off until Wednesday. I don’t have to work that day so I’ll plan to drive down there and get it done as early as I can but I won’t have to get out of bed on Wednesday at the “crack of dawn”.

I feel like my cholesterol will be higher since I eat more meat, cheese and nuts now. It will be interesting! I’m more concerned about my A1C and hoping it is lower than last time I had it taken.

PEAK: Went for an hour walk yesterday with my husband in the nature preserve near our home. The huge amount of rain we’ve had, has filled up all the streams and even created new ones. The water is really running! It’s so pretty. The hills are so green.

PIT: Kind of a PIT but worth every minute–After our walk, we went to the golf course grill also near our home and had lunch and shared a bottle of wine. It was raining and we were the only outside guests but we sat under the porch and they had heaters there to keep us warm. It was so nice and we had a great time! Probably should not of had all that wine as once again my weight was up this morning and it probably contributed to me not sleeping well.

• posted by Angela06
    on

Hello, my reply has disappeared into the ether for some reason…will catch up later!

Have a good day.

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning all

Yes, Jmarie, they were dark chocolate covered and absolutely delicious – I ate so many that I basically didn’t sleep all night either lol.

Peak for today is that I am down 3.25lbs since Saturday – despite ‘Bean-Gate’. I did a 20 hour fast yesterday and only ate 480 calories so I’m fairly sure that helped!!

No pits yet but it’s early days!!

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Angela~ sorry your message disappeared. Hope you are feeling better and your week is improving!

topcac~ Maybe I should try your diet of chocolate covered coffee beans followed by a fast and then very low calorie day. Sounds like a winner! Congrats on the 3.25 lb. weight loss! Wishing you more success the rest of the week. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Angela06
    on

Got my fingers crossed that this post will not disappear too ๐Ÿ˜‰ so annoying when that happens.

I read elsewherw topcac that the choolate beans didn’t do any damage at all…congratulations on your weight loss. Maybe I should get me some of those beans!

Janet, what a nice weekend you had. I love the idea of the walk followed by a glass or two of wine on the terrace. Life is for enjoying, right?

No peaks to report today, I’m afraid only a handful of pits…ate far too much at 5pm when I got home from work. If I knew why I could maybe work out a plan of action. There’s not much non BSD in my house but I saw off my walnuts and finished off the Gran pradano. I won’t mention the 2 spoonfuls of cream! Anyway the cheese and nuts arei n the bin along with the cream, well it was already finished, so no more coffee and cream!
    A more important second pit is that my husband is away on a business trip for a few days and tomorrow I’m taking my son and his stuff to Montpellier where he’ll be staying for 2 months for a work assignment. He’s been staying with us for the last 3 months and is so helpful and such good company I’m really going to miss him. So, feeling a bit sorry for myself tonight!
    My back is fine, Janet. Thank you for asking. I think I’d just moved awkwardly and pulled a muscle. Good luck with your blood test tomorrow and getting up even though it’s your day off!

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Angela~ Your son sounds like a wonderful man! He’s both helpful and good company!!! I really admire the relationship you have with him. Makes a lot of sense that you are feeling down about him leaving for a couple months! Does he have plans to return after the work assignment?

So glad to hear your back is better! The food you ate when you got home today sounds pretty BSD friendly. I’m not always sure what prompts me to eat more than I planned but it happened to me today. I have been overdoing it for a week now and trying to figure out how to get it back in control. This morning I had not only one Starbuck’s grande latte made with half and half but 2. Yikes! After I spent half the day trying to figure out how many calories that was, I determined that the bottom line is that it was way too much.

I think what keeps nagging at me is the thought: I’ll start tomorrow and go back to the 800 calorie plan and lose more weight and each day I don’t succeed, I have the thought that I’ll start again tomorrow. This is the vicious cycle that has plague my thinking for years! Here I am feeling so proud of myself for losing weight and somehow at the same time working hard on trying to sabotage myself.

Okay, I’m going to make this public statement that tomorrow I will not eat more than 1200 calories and I will be BSD compliant as best I can. One day at a time! I should feel good about eating 1200 calories because seriously until the BSD 800 calorie plan, I had trouble sticking to 1800 calories and rarely was able to stay that low.

PEAK: Our oldest granddaughter turned 11 years old today! I text’d her this morning at 4:00 am and she text’d back. It worked out well that it is 3 hours ahead in North Carolina so she hadn’t left for school yet. Tonight she called me right before her bedtime, and told me about her fun birthday. Another PEAK today is that I worked out for 45 minutes when I got home from work.

PIT: My daughter who is expecting our fifth granddaughter and due at the end of March, has had some cramping and a little spotting this week. She says resting has helped but I still worry! I just don’t want her to know I’m worried. I wish I lived closer so I could help her out.

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning all

I did eventually have a pit yesterday – after trying so hard to keep to 500 cals for two days running, I lost it and managed to double it after dinner last night – oops! I’m think that trying a 5:2 regime by doing the two 500 cal days back to back doesn’t work for me – never mind – will try something else…..

Peaks and pits from today will follow…

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Morning topcac! You gave the 5:2 regime a try and it didn’t work out for you so no worries! I like that there are other options to try on the BSD. I haven’t tried the 5:2 plan but don’t think it will work for me either.

• posted by jmarie41
    on

PEAK: Went shopping today and bought 4 new tops and they are in smaller sizes than I have worn in years. Stuck to 1200 calories and did 30 minutes on the elliptical and hit a total of over 15,000 steps today.

PIT: No Pit today! :–)

• posted by Angela06
    on

Good morning,

Janet: woohoo. Result! It’s such a boost being able to get into smaller clothes…just the visible reminder of why we’re doing this. Good luck on sticking to calorie control. Controlling what we put in our mouths is really the only way forward, isn’t it? With your schedule I reckon that must be really hard. I hope your daughter is resting and feeling better. Does she have someone nearby who could help with her children?

Topcac..can you do one 500 calorie day at a time, not two consecutively? It’s nice to be back in control though. It’s a good reminder that if we get back on board immediately we can limit the damage…

It’s so hard for me to get back on plan after I’ve ‘sinned’ that it’s just easier to keep those carbs out of my life and house altogether. With husband away there’s absolutely nothing here to graze on. The other thing I’ve worked out is that eating chocolate, sweets, donuts whatever doesn’t satisfy the itch, the hunger; I just want more! At least when I say no I can bask in feeling ultra smug!

Yesterday was another day of pits…spent hours driving round Montpellier, a city I don’t know, my GPS trying to direct me through the city centre which was no access. I ended up adding at least 2 hours to an already stressful day. I didn’t prepare food so ate rubbish, and didn’t drink enough. Didn’t feel like weighing today so like you, Topcac, I’m going to be really restrained today. I’m also going for a long walk. Nice.

Have a really good day. Angela

• posted by topcac
    on

Afternoon all working from home today which brings lots of challenges for me – like the fridge….!

well done Janet – those non scale victories are amazing and really keep you motivated. I’m currently wearing a top that I bought 2 years ago because I thought I would slim into it – I finally did! Feels Gooooood

Peak today is definitely the gym this morning – which I really enjoyed – a new sensation for me.

Pit is the damn fridge….am doing my best to avoid it – just have to get to 4pm when i will walk the dogs and make a start on dinner. Haven’t had lunch yet so that’ll help!

Yes, I will try doing my 500 calories days separately next time – I think that should work as far as control – just need the result on the scales to match ๐Ÿ™‚

Enjoy the rest of your day lovelies!!

• posted by Angela06
    on

Good evening,

my second post of the day and am pleased to be able to post a couple of peaks;

my first ever 10,000+ steps. Yay! But I don’t know how you manage to do it on a daily basis…they represent 7.5km of walking which took well over an hour (not including the stop for coffee)

And I followed Topcac’s example and didn’t eat till this evening when I made a tasty vegetable stir fry and fried a fillet of white fish. They say hunger is the best sauce and I really appreciated dinner and I was really hungry by then. That’s the longest I’ve gone without food awake.

The pit? the scales were up slightly (I did weigh myself in the end) I expected as much after yesterday’s excesses but I’m hoping that a couple of strict days may see me on the right path.

How’s everything going out there?

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Angela: That sucks to end up having 2 hours added to your driving. Once while we were touring Florence, Italy, we couldn’t figure out how to get back to our hotel because so many of the streets were one way or couldn’t be driven on. At the time there was no google maps, or anything like that. . .just a paper map with nothing to indicate one way streets. It was a long, terrible and frustrating night! I can understand your frustration in Montpellier. Glad you made it safely back! Did you drive your son there for his new assignment?

topcac: Congrats on wearing the top you bought 2 years ago. It must feel great to wear it! I try on my “old” clothes a lot now–the one’s that never fit and now do. There are some I wish I would have kept but got tired of waiting to fit into them and eventually decided to get rid of them and buy clothes that fit me. Now most of these clothes are too big. I don’t want to fit into them anymore! Maybe you should put some ducktape on your fridge today! ha! The walk with the dogs sounds great!!! That’s one way to get a person outside for some exercise–get a dog! Dog’s don’t let us forget they want their walk. :–) Sounds like a great exercise day for you since you’ve already been to the gym this morning. Nice!

This morning I finally made it to the lab for my bloodwork! I almost put it off again but decided to just get it done. Now I have to wait for the results! I sure hope they turn out okay. I have eaten 5 pieces of chocolate today! I went so long with out having much because I wanted my A1C to be a good reading so now that the test is over, I splurged. I actually didn’t really enjoy the chocolate as much as I thought I would. Now I having some vegetable chicken soup for lunch. I’m actually looking forward to it!

My daughter found out the problems she was having were from a UTI and yeast infection. Her baby girl is doing well and is already about 4 lbs. So good news! Her doctor told her no more business trips! I’m glad she is taking it easier. They just moved into a new house in a new town so they don’t have many friends yet to help out but her husband is very helpful and their next door neighbor seems to be kind and helpful too. It’s hard to be so far away and not be able to do much to help her out.

PEAK: Getting my blood work done and not really enjoying the chocolate.
    PIT: Eating the chocolate!

Tomorrow is Friday–TGIF–I have to work but it’s nice to have another weekend almost here. Wishing you all good rest of your day and a fun weekend. ~ Janet :–)

• posted by Theodora
    on

Couple of peaks for me today too:-

I haven’t lost any weight this week and not so much as a smidgeon on my waist measurement (which I know is the important one, and the only one I measured before commencing BSD) but I put on a pair of smart knee high boots this evening, which had always been too tight to tuck my trousers in comfortably. This evening however, I zipped them up over my trousers and there was ROOM TO SPARE! ๐Ÿ™‚

Even better peak, we went to see my 16 year old granddaughter perform in a production of Much Ado About Nothing, adapted to the 40s – 2nd WW in fact. I thought she was playing a “land girl”, which indeed she did in the opening scene, but then to our absolute amazement a live big band came on playing 40s music including Glen Miller, and she came out in fabulous 1940s evening wear, and sang several numbers solo including Moonlight Serenade and Chattanooga ChooChoo, and then, in the disastrous wedding scene, she sang A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square. (I know it sounds incongruous in a production of Shakespeare, but was totally in keeping with the adaptation). She looked so grown up, and so beautiful (used to seeing her in ripped jeans etc) and sang like an angel – she even had a couple of dance numbers, jitterbugging as if she was born to it ๐Ÿ™‚ Enjoyed the production so much that when we got home, we immediately went online and booked to go again on Saturday and take my 92 year old mother who was in the forces in 2nd WW so will absolutely love it – last few tickets available, so we were very lucky.

Pit was that I was enjoying the production so much that, in the interval, I succumbed to a glass of rather nice sauvignon blanc! (So peak as well, really) Well, sometimes one just has to celebrate life’s blessings, and our granddaughter is certainly one of those! ๐Ÿ™‚ I did however, foresee the possibility of this, and allowed for it and my calories today still came in at only 748, with 17.19g carbs. (Is this far too low – not feeling hungry or tired at all?)

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Theodora
    Well done in your granddaughter, you must be so proud!
    You can go as low as you want regarding carbohydrates as there is no such thing as an ‘essential carbohydrate’. The body can convert both excess proteins and fats to glucose through a process called gluconeogenisis. I’ve been fasting since Wednesday night and consumed no carbs at all and I’m still exercising and working.
    Just listen to your body, if you’re not getting enough protein or fat there may not be enough excess to convert, then you know you need more.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by jmarie41
    on

That’s a great peak, Theodora! Your granddaughter’s performance sounded wonderful. I love the way you described it. It made me wish I had seen it too!! A glass of wine for sure was in order!! :–) And. . . in spite of the wine, your calorie and carb count was amazing. Congrats to you!

So nice to fit into your boots. Must feel great to see those results!

Hi LindaA :–)

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Hi Angela~ I didn’t even notice that you had posted twice until I looked back. So funny that you and I posted within a few minutes of each other. Congratulations on getting in 10,000 steps! That is awesome. You broke your own record. Whoo hoo! Your dinner sounded delicious too. Your vegetable stir fry and white fish fry. Yum! Amazing that you went that long without eating.

I made a thai chicken spicy peanut sauce dish served over cauliflower rice tonight for dinner! It was so delicious. My husband kept saying , “this is so good”, the entire time he was eating it. Sometimes it’s hard to believe cauliflower rice is really cauliflower. I wish I would have found it years ago.

Try not to worry about the weight being up a little. You are doing great!

• posted by topcac
    on

Hello everyone – those non scale victories just keep on coming – congratulations to Theodora, a woman after my own heart – am going to dig my knee highs out tonight – just to see!!

In the end, yesterday was a controlled day – I avoided the fridge (apart from the couple of times I delved in and grabbed a handful of blueberries – shock horror!! The thing with this is that there is nothing in my house that isn’t BSD friendly so even the ‘cheating’ …isn’t. Ended the day around 825 / 20 carbs – amazing – my other peak for yesterday.

Peak for this morning was an 800m swim and sauna – I do love it so ๐Ÿ™‚

No pit yet and quite frankly I want to keep it that way!!

Have a good afternoon all x

• posted by Angela06
    on

Good evening everyone,

Theodora; that seems like a very interesting interpretation of Much Ado….I expect you’ll all remember this for a long time.
    Linda: I fasted till 7pm yesterday and it felt ok. After I ate dinner though I didn’t feel good and found sleep difficult so kudos to you for the achievement.
    Topcac: congratulations on giving the fridge the cold shoulder!
    Jmarie: good news about your daughter and it’s great she has helpful neighbours. I expect you’d love to jump on a plane to see her. 5 granddaughters….how lovely. Do the others live nearby you?
    I hope your test results are good. At least the results will be back quickly.

My peak for today was that I did an interim weigh in and am down .5kg which means I’m around 4.5kg down since 3rd January…slower than the first round but down is down….

The pit…did the weekly shop and bought a small bag of walnuts, knew I shouldn’t and sure enough I have demolished half of them. Not the worst sin but still I wish I had more control!

Off to bed now. Goodnight all!

• posted by jmarie41
    on

topcac: your are so wise to only have BSD friendly food in your home. . the blueberries sounded delicious but nothing too damaging. . and lot of great nutrition in them as well! Great swim!! The sauna sounds wonderful too! Here’s to no pits!!!

Angela: Your weight loss although slower than the first go round is awesome. I can’t say the same but am working on my reason’s why I am having difficulty getting myself motivated. All your input about how you are doing it is really helping me think about things.
    I too love nuts at the moment but I believe they are way better for us than sugar.

PEAK: I got my blood work results back. Not sure these figures will make sense, since they may be different than other parts of the world (you’ll have to let me know) but my A1C was 5.4 % (normal range). I am sooooo happy! My lipid panel was excellent. The only high was the overall cholesterol at 243 (never been that high) but the HDL, LDL, and triglycerides were excellent and I had a ratio of 2.2 which is wonderful. They are not concerned about the high overall cholesterol reading because the other areas were excellent. Yay!
    I am so relieved. The BSD seems to working for me.

PIT: No pit! Hoping that holds up for a while.

Have a great weekend everyone! I’m going out of a date tonight with my husband. Looking forward to it!

PS. Angela–Two of my granddaughters –our sons daughters–live about 50 miles away in San Mateo (near south San Francisco) and the other two live in North Carolina with our daughter. Funny thing is we probably see our North Carolina granddaughters more than our San Mateo, CA granddaughters. Whatever time I can get with any of them makes me soooo happy!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Training for my 26 mile walk in the Autumn started this weekend. This thread is apt as it is in the Peak district

PEAK – Did 11 rainy miles (25,500 steps and 68 flights of Fitbit stairs) yesterday in just over five hours and the legs don’t hurt too bad this morning. Drank about 5 litres of water/green tea and ate pure BSD although about 1000 calories.

PIT – Stitching in the trusty Quests is failing so need some new boots…..

PEAK – Did my tax return today

PIT – Owe the taxman ยฃ5k – need to find some discounted boots ๐Ÿ˜‰

Keep smiling

• posted by jmarie41
    on

JulesMaigret:You really racked up the mileage! Nice!! Impressive that you got that in, in the rain. That’s dedication!
    Sucks about the taxes–we too owe every year–no fun!
    Hope you find a good discount on the boots :–)

• posted by jmarie41
    on

PEAK: Stuck to my calorie goals and ate only BSD friendly food. Got an hour walk in outside.
    PIT: Wishing the weekend wasn’t over so quickly! I’m not ready to get back to work.

• posted by Angela06
    on

Jmarie: super blood results. I’m so pleased that they turned out fine especially as you were so concerned about them. And keeping within the BSD framework as well it all deserves a celebration…some nice clothes? a manicure? pedicure? Time for a reward!

These days it seems that it’s not just the weekends that go quickly…I just wish time would slow down a little, I never seem to have enough.

JulesMaigret; the 26 miler sounds impressive. I’m really pleased I signed up for the 1,000 mile walk because it gets me moving but my daily walks are still in single figures. The tax? well, what can I say, it’s one of the two certain things…

My peak for yesterday: a super wonderful walk along the promenade finishing with a coffee on the terrace of a lovely restaurant. The sun was warm and the sea blue.

The pit: I’ve become reacquainted with the 300g I lost the other day. And I know exactly why. I have to, really have to track my calories. I don’t know why I don’t…just laziness, I suppose. I must be accountable. (need to write that 100 times!)

It’s Monday, the beginning of a new week….have a good day!

• posted by topcac
    on

Hi all – good morning! Foggy and grey outside – SO looking forward to the first signs of spring! Out walking today at 6:30 – the dogs needed to go, I certainly didn’t! but it means I’m already 4,000 steps in for today.

Still on a fast from 11am yesterday morning – although I had to sample a couple of mouthfuls of cake yesterday as we were trying to order our wedding cake, which we’ve not done – PEAK!

Weight is also down another pound since last Tuesday – PEAK but even better, my OH dropped 4lbs this week!

My only pit at the moment is I can’t get warm!! – it’s not particularly cold today either – is wearing a wooly hat in the office a step too far?

JM – congrats on the 11 miles – that time will come down I’m sure – keep it up! We are off to the Peaks at the end of February so maybe I’ll make time to spend a day walking – with frequent rest stops for our very short legged pooches lol

Have a good, peak filled day all x
    TC

• posted by jmarie41
    on

topcac~ it’s okay with me if you wear woolly hats at work! I love that!!! It has been cold at our work too and people are wrapped up in blankets. I bought myself a little portable heater! Today the facilities finally turned on the heat and I got so hot, I had to take off my socks and boots. Too funny!
    Your dogs sound great and they are sure good at getting us to get our steps in. Congrats on the weight loss!

Angela~ your walk on the promenade looking out over the blue sea and sipping coffee on the terrace of a lovely restaurant sounded so nice. I am envious!

Back to work today for me! Got up at 3:30 am but also woke up a few times during the night. Seems when I eat eat low carb I also have to pee a lot at night. ugh! TMI. . .it is just irritating sometimes. I really want to stay in bed and sleep! It’s also so cold to have to get up during the night. I did stick to my plan yesterday and kept to fairly low calories and did my workout too.

PEAK: Work went well! I saw students and got a lot of my work done too. I’m feeling less stressed about it all1
    PIT: My mom decided to put her house up for sale and move to our city but within 2 days changed her mind and is now upset that no one is caring enough about her. I think she is just struggling with her age, her chronic pain and the long, cold winter. She needs some TLC!

• posted by Angela06
    on

Jmarie, your schedule is really punishing. That’s quite a commute. On the plus side good news that the job is becoming less stressful.
    Re. your mum. Old age is tough, isn’t it? My mother said to me that even at the end at 87 years old, she still was 18 inside her head and she always had a shock when she saw herself in a mirror wondering who that old lady was!

Topcac…loving the idea of the woolly hat in the office. Perhaps warm indoor clothing could be a business opportunity as the number of BSDers increases.

My peak…I’m glad to be able to walk in pleasant surroundings with nice company so I continue to count my blessings there.
    My pit is the 500g I have put on this week. It’s time for me to knuckle down and start weighing and measuring portions again, stop buying chocolate, no matter how dark and leave the cheese in the shop! I don’t know why I have drifted off plan…but I need to start being accountable again!

I wish you all a pleasant Tuesday!

• posted by topcac
    on

uh oh – massive PIT yesterday in the end when I devoured 11 chocolates in one go – I’m utterly disgusted with myself and felt terrible both emotionally and physically. I appear to have learnt nothing from the last 20 weeks on this plan. Why couldn’t I just have one and savour it? – that’s what I did at Christmas. Don’t know what happened but will probably over analyse it because I like to do that….

So PEAK for today has to be that I’ve started again, went to the gym first thing, did a 30 minute run, 15 minute row and have knocked up 10k steps already today. Am on a 500 cal day today (that was preplanned, not as a result of yesterdays epic fail) and seems well so far.

No weigh in until next Monday

• posted by Angela06
    on

Topcac…but in spite of the chocolates you’re back on plan. These things happen….it’s in the past now. Learn from it and move on!
    By the time you weigh yourself those choccies won’t even be a blip on the radar.

• posted by jmarie41
    on

topcac~ I’ve done similar things like eat too much chocolate, or cheese or nuts! It happens!!! The good news is you got right back on track. You got to the gym, did an amazing work out and are on your 500 calorie plan today. Nice!

Angela~ Your mother sounds like a wonderful woman–young at heart–and nice that she expressed her feelings! I too feel that way sometimes. I look in the mirror and miss the younger me. Mainly I just don’t like knowing how short life is!!! There is so much to do and so little time to do it.
    I use the app “Lose It”. I have used it for years and really like it. It keeps me accountable although I go over budget quite often. Ha! At least I know how much I’m eating. :–) Yesterday, I didn’t eat much at work and by the time I got home around 3 pm, I was hungry. I ate nuts, and left over filet mignon and that ended up being my dinner. I ate almost 700 calories! I ended up weighing 1.5 lbs. less than yesterday but I think my weight was up from water weight. I drank too much alcohol on Saturday night and sometimes when I do that my weight goes up for a few days. Today I plan to eat a bit more during the day so I’m not ravished by the time I get home. I did work out on the elliptical after eating yesterday so maybe that helped.

PEAK: Got to bed by 8pm. Got some good sleep in although not perfect. Woke up feeling pretty rested this morning! Sitting here at Starbuck’s sipping a latte and enjoying my laptop. It’s almost time to head over to work–it’s almost 6 am now.

PIT: My mom called my sister and told her that no one seems to care about her. Kind of sad to hear her say that! She has to take pain killer’s at night in order to sleep with her chronic back pain and I think it is making her depressed.

Wishing you all a great day or night depending on where you are! So glad you are writing as it really helps me stay with the program.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Jmarie41 I think you mean “so I’m not famished when I get home”! “Ravished” gives quite a different picture….

• posted by littlepony
    on

Every day i cook really a lot for my family, but sometimes not all of it gets eaten. Also, I cook only healthy food. I use only natural ingredients, thus, it is often very difficult to preserve them. My peak is related to this matter: I have found some nice packaging for food here http://allinpackaging.co.uk/ . The quality is very good and the prices are adequate.
    The pit of my day is that my dog got sick, poor thing.

• posted by jmarie41
    on

So right Natalie! Wrong choice of word. I meant ravenous. Too funny!

• posted by jmarie41
    on

LIttlepony~ your family is very fortunate that you cook for them. So sorry to hear your dog is sick!

I did better yesterday and was in much more control of my appetite. Still working on finding the right amount of food to eat throughout the day. I had enough calories left for a nice dinner: Made filet mignon and salad. It was soooooo good! My weight was even down when I got on the scale this morning. Nice!

PEAK: New sweater arrived via Zappos and fit perfectly and I am wearing it to work today!
    PIT: Have put off folding the washed and dried clothes for days now. Really need to attack that chore and get it done!

• posted by Angela06
    on

Good evening all,

Jmarie: well done with your food choices. It’s great to see that translated into a loss almost straightaway, isn’t it? that’s the really good thing about this WOL. Though if I’m too self indulgent that shows up pretty quickly too!
    Hope your new sweater gave you pleasure too.

Little pony: so sorry to hear about your dog. I hope he/she’s feeling better!

My peak for yesterday was that I calculated the miles I walked in january and the total was 62.5. Up until this challenge I think my average would have been 6 miles a month so I’m well pleased and, better than that, my legs are beginning to feel and look more toned.
    My second peak was that my weight is beginning to drop again rather than bouncing around.
    No pits…yay!

• posted by jmarie41
    on

Angela~ That’s some great walking mileage! What a huge difference between your before and after distance. Wow! Congratulations!
    Must feel great too to see your legs looking and feeling more toned!! And. . .your weight is dropping again. You really sound like you are doing so well on the BSD!

Today, I had the day off and I went in for my monthly hair appointment. I had my stylist add some highlights and curl my hair instead of straightening it. It turned out so nice! My husband and I are flying to the Carolina’s next week to see our daughter , son in-law and granddaughter’s in North Carolina then driving to South Carolina for a wedding. So glad I was able to get my hair appointment in right before the trip. Now I won’t have to worry about gray roots! Ha! I really splurged today on doing things for myself!! After my hair appointment, I drove back to my city and went to see the movie, “Lion”. For me this was the best movie I have seen in such a long time. It gets my vote for Best Picture of the Year! Fantastic! Then when I got back home, my package from Talbot’s had arrived with two new jacket’s and two sweaters. All four items fit! I’m going to wear one of them to work tomorrow. I am loving fitting in smaller clothes!!! :—)

It was a great day! Although I didn’t work out today, I really enjoyed my day off from work. The rain has come back to our area and will be around for the next 5 or so days. Although I have to work tomorrow, I am looking forward to a nice, relaxing weekend. I might even get my laundry folded and put away. LOL!

I wish you a wonderful weekend! I’m planning to eat BSD friendly foods and get some exercise in each day but for sure I’m going to enjoy just being home.

• posted by topcac
    on

Wow – Angela – that’s amazing mileage – I’m going to go and calculate mine now – how motivational.
    I’ve set myself a 300km challenge for this year. Combination of rowing, running and swimming I want to do AT LEAST 300km this year. As of today’s workout that’s 44 down, 256 to go…who knows, I may do it in less time ๐Ÿ™‚

PEAK – had a good workout at the gym this morning and have put MOnday’s chocolate ‘incident’ well behind me. Had two chocolates last night…and left it there. Both calculated and logged.

PIT – I’m a very positive person so this PIT business is hard for me – it’s all relative right? Have a lot of work to get through today so will be at work late late late – should probably get off the forum then! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Theodora
    on

Littlepony, so sorry your dog got sick, do hope he (she?) is on the mend now?

Well done on your mileage, Angela – keep up the good work.

PEAK:- WooHoo – after 12 days of neither the scales nor the tape measure showing any loss at all, I seem to have had one of the fabled “whoosh” events, and the scales today measured a loss of 3.25lbs (1.47kg) so total loss since I started on 16th Jan is 11.25lbs (5.1kg). The tape measure also registered a 2″ loss around my waist, which is the first discernible loss of the dreaded “belly fat” ๐Ÿ™‚

My body fat %age has now fallen to within the “healthy” range for my age (just) at 31.8 and my BMI has fallen a whole 2 points since I started BSD800. Doing the happy dance here ๐Ÿ™‚

PIT:- It has rained non-stop for the past 5 days(though the sun was shining this morning – peak) and my daily 2.5 – 3 mile walk with the mutts was like walking in a bog! They met lots of other dogs to play with(another peak), ran around in the mud like lunatics for half an hour non-stop, and came home absolutely filthy, I cannot tell you how muddy they were!! ๐Ÿ™ The walk took 90mins (inc the 1/2 hour play stop) and it then took me another 90 mins to wash and dry them both!! Grrr!!

But hey, looking on the bright side, they had a fantastic time, and are both healthy ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.