CrabCakes Recipe – am I doing something wrong?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Hello all,

I was really looking forward to making the crab cakes and envisioned something totally different to what I produced last night – even though I followed the recipe and cooking instructions to the letter.

One thing I noticed was the juice of half a lemon was way too much. The outcome was that my crab cakes totally fell apart and ended up as a crab salad, as the mixture was too wet to form into crab cakes.

It was a disaster.

I was wondering whether I was doing anything wrong. Has anyone tried making the crab cakes successfully?

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Natasha
    I haven’t been making the recipes but noticed a lot of problems like this so probably the recipe is wrong.
    Penny

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

I might write to Micheal M and his team to flag it up because I really want to make them – and crab meat costs a bomb!

• posted by Jahooly
    on

Mine were a disaster too, no substance as nothing to bind them together …. Expensive mishap and couldn’t understand why they were so high in calories either as mine didn’t add up to what he said …… Glad it wasn’t just about my cooking ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Natasha
    Good idea.
    Jahooly- a lot of the recipes have the wrong calories. I’ve read people complaining about it.
    Penny

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

GREAT NEWS!!!

The recipe is OK and it worked out this time.

I made the crab cakes again tonight and this time I made the crab mixture in the morning so it had all day and evening to chill through in the fridge.

I only added a quarter of a lemon – half is way too much and makes the crab mixture wet and useless.

I was more generous with the flour and I used a smaller non-stick pan with a little more oil than yesterday.

I flattened the entire crab patty so it filled the circumference of the frying pan. This also thinned it out so it became more like a fritter.

And voila!

DELICIOUS and money hasn’t been wasted!

I guess some of the recipes are trial and error

If you try making crab cakes again, let us know how you get on ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Pmshrink – re calories….. no way ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

This is not good news.

According to today’s meal plan of green tea and blueberry shake for breakfast, chicken, butterbean and walnut salad for lunch, and crab cakes for dinner, the total calories for these 3 meals is 810 calories.

Have they miscalculated the meals?

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Marvellous Natasha!
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Seems like they have… But Michael also says it’s ok to have slightly higher one day slightly lower the next. But I think we need to check the calories ourselves in any recipe.
    Penny

• posted by Jahooly
    on

Think I’ll leave the crab cakes Natasha, Not a huge lover of crab ….. Lol. But so Intent on trying to stick to the menu plan…..must learn to lighten up ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜. Ha
    Good luck all, tomorrow is another day on this journey ……
    Ummmm dreaming of no carb bicher tonight ..๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

I have had the blueberry and green tea shake, chicken with butter beans and walnut salad a d crab cakes for 3 days in a row (tomorrow is my last day!!).

This would present a problem if I didn’t love crab lol

I’m completely intent on sticking to the menu plan too, so I totally understand where you’re coming from lol xx

Ps, omg I love the Bircher too, so delicious.

• posted by MummaBadger
    on

I would like to make crab cakes for dinner tonight. What type of crab meat do you use in the recipe? If you are using fresh crab meat (uncooked) do you cook it first?
    Melita

Please log in or register to post a reply.