counting carbs.calories and ketones and large portions

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by going 4ward
    on

Hi reading the forum , which is very motivating. I have been following the plan from the 8 week book and wonder where do you find your counters for carbs and calories, also do many of you test your urine for ketones and does this help? If so where do you get a testing kit.
    I have done three weeks, but last week was a tough one as I felt tired and hungry a lot of the time, ate both portions of dinner tonight and could still eat more!! Seem to have been increasing my portions each day.
    anyone else done this, if so how did you combat it.?

• posted by Avila
    on

Welcome to the forum,

People do the plan in various ways, some follow the meal plan in the book; others do their own recipes on the principles. Some count every carb and calorie using various tracking apps; others (me included) are more relaxed on the detail. For those using counts the calories at 800 is in the book, for carbs people have gathered in other insights and experiences, and the aim for 50g a day seems common. People have referred to My Fitness Pal (MFP) or Fat secret as tracking apps.

Not seen much about testing ketones – the BSD doesn’t need that, the changes will trigger things without needing to check it in detail.

I know the double portion syndrome – before I started this I was a terror for that, having a work pattern that meant not eating until late afternoon and then eating 2 main meals worth of food! A few weeks into this plan is a recognised ‘tough spot’ when either it plateaus or temptation calls extra loudly – or both!!

• posted by Fit_My_Jeans_Again
    on

I test for ketones using Ketostix that I buy online. I guess I picked it up from doing Atkins years ago – it’a not mentioned in the BSD book at all though or much around these parts (and if you look at Ketostix on the very interesting Reddit keto threads, loads of people are dubious about the value of using them). Personally I’m terrible at monitoring my diet but making a little square turn pink in the morning at least suggests I’m on the right track!

• posted by ClarionCall
    on

At the end of the 8 weeks diet and perhaps then on a 5:2 diet, would the Ketostix be useful to see if weight loss momentum is lost on the 5 days Mediterranean diet eating. Any feedback.

Please log in or register to post a reply.