Counting Calories

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by lynski
    on

Hi fellow BSD followers. I’ve just finished day 11 of my 800 calorie a day regime and feeling pretty good. I’ve lost 3 1/2 lbs so far. I’ve found plenty of variety in the 8week BSD recipe book, but would like to know if anyone can recommend a simple calorie count book so that I can start to make up my own recipes?

many thanks,

• posted by Purple
    on

Hi Lynski – I find calorieking very easy to use online.

• posted by Purple
    on

It’s calorieking.com.au

• posted by Natalie
    on

I use CalorieKing.com too, they also have a book with calorie/carb/etc counts which I think I bought at a chemist?

• posted by shalimar
    on

I have a paperback book called The Diabetes Counter by Nolan and Heslin.

It’s basic …. can give you a reasonable count on calories, fat, carbs, sugar and fibre.

It has some Brand Names. I usually use this book first … there are plenty of online sources. I do like MyFatSecret. Sometimes i just google the food item … even a recipe like corn fried catfish with the word calories carbs …. and i usually get something i can use.

• posted by lynski
    on

Thanks for the suggestions, and continued BSD success x.

• posted by Katey1
    on

Hi all, I am up to day 4 and feeling okay. I weighed myself today and got a shock to see I have lost 3.4 kgs. Each evening, before bedtime I work out my food for the next day & write it in a notebook with the calories alongside each food and it really helps me to stay on track. I organise my eating plan according to what I have written down. So far so good, just hope I can keep it up for the 8 weeks. Am a bit worried about Christmas celebrations coming up, have a number of events to attend & thinking maybe I should cancel to avoid temptation.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Katey
    think of BSD as a way of eating, rather than a diet – don’t cancel social events & become a hermit
    for me, an important part of the process has been about learning what carbs and calories are in stuff, good portion sizes, how to make good choices when dining out, resisting temptations (still working on that one) – and how to successfully create a plate of carby canape debris (eating the middle of vol au vents, he topping on a canape, etc)

The more you record, the better you’ll get at this stuff – and if you do go a bit over occasionally, but overall you come out of the 8 weeks with improved understanding and management of food, and your behaviour around it, isn’t that more worthwhile?

For me, a diet without eating out or social events is almost akin to a diet that consists only of meal replacement shakes – you might lose weight/improve your blood sugars, but you don’t really learn very much about long term relationships with food.

Lots of luck with it all

• posted by Katey1
    on

Thanks Frog for your encouragement. I have a lot of weight to lose and I really want to succeed with this.

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Hey Katey

Your determination comes through so that is a great start. I’m a bit further down the line week 23 completed and I think Frog is spot on it has to be a way of life that includes all aspects of your life no diet hermits here we party!

It is something you learn and get better at as you go on. At first social situations feel awkward you being the one that says no to alcohol or cake etc. You learn ways of managing like checking online menus before you eat out, saying no thanks gets easier with time. One day you may even reach a certain smugness at your ability to choose wisely I do see envy in some people’s eyes.. And your friends do get it- when I eat out with the ladies and choosing dessert comes around they laugh and chorus “and mint tea for our friend ”

This is a joyful step for you and your health.

As a p.s I can’t find the what your dr said thread but was remembering at the start my eye consultant didn’t lecture me on losing weight just kindly and gently said “are you sure you are taking enough care of yourself you are important make sure you are getting enough of the good stuff”. It meant more than all the lectures on weight loss and spurred me on to start.

• posted by Katey1
    on

Thanks Angie
    To answer your query re my Dr. I spoke with her, I did all the necessary blood tests before I started and I have to see her in 4 weeks. I am type 2 & am taking my levels each day to ensure it does get too low. If I have any concerns I can ring my Dr. I am almost 70 so my plan is to lose weight, do more walking, and continue to eat healthy so that I reach a ripe old age.
    Just enjoyed a plate of healthy veg & skinless piece of chicken for dinner.

Please log in or register to post a reply.