Could someone explain this for me?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by blissfulbabe
    on

Hi all,

I’ve been lurking for sometime and am so happy to find a forum where the focus is on helping and supporting each other – such a lovely ethos for a site to have.

I’ve just finished week 3 and have lost 17lbs and four inches off my (admittedly large) waist, which is fab news and keeping me very motivated and focussed. However, my FBS, which were hovering around 5.2, have gone up to 7.5 – 8.5 for the last four days. I’m being very careful to weigh and log everything and am averaging between 25 – 40 gms of carbs a day, so I can’t understand it. I’m not overdoing the protein and getting approx 50% of my calories from fat. I’m having a small high fat snack (full fat greek yoghurt) before I go to bed. My GP, who’s being very supportive with this diet is now making very serious noises about Metformin, which I would like to avoid, because he feels this will help manage the dawn phenomomen.

So my question is…why are my darn FBS on the rise when I’m not overdoing the carbs and protein?

• posted by blissfulbabe
    on

Oops! Never mind, I’ve just seen Squidgey’s thread so will follow that.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Tell your GP to stick the Metformin where the sun don’t shine!
    I’ve been taking them for a good time and they have never helped with my fasting readings. Same with gliclizide, I was on them for a few years until I refused to take them any longer as they made me feel so ill.
    I have now dropped the exanatide injections and, after a blip, my levels are stabilising again and that is down to only one thing, the way I’m eating. I’m now on course to stop the metformin altogether and, today, have halved my dose.
    You have made a brilliant start to this with a great weight loss.
    Stop worrying too much about the sugar readings, they will sort themselves out over the next few weeks.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great news Bill

I keep telling the medics I don’t want to go on Metformin, that I can’t take statins and now that I want off the blood pressure meds.

Please log in or register to post a reply.