Coping with cravings

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by EllenD
    on

I thought that I would share a technique that I used to kick my 40yr nicotine addiction almost 6 yrs ago. I’ve found that it also helps me with food cravings. It’s a really simple technique that involves reminding yourself that you CAN have bread, sweets, chips – whatever it is that you are craving – absolutely any time you want – it’s just that CHOOSE not to have it right now. I find that this technique stops me feeling deprived and powerless and I also remind myself of all the reasons that I started this in the first place – health, weight loss, looking good, feeling good, fitting back into my favourite clothes etc etc. Puts all the emphasis back on the positives instead of the ‘poor me’s’. Hope that helps :-). BTW, I’ve just finished my 2nd week and I’ve lost 5kg and 10cm off my waist, so I’m super pleased with the results.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Ellen,
    Nice tip. I find it useful when I’m out shopping and the Sirens are calling to me to just look at the prices and ask myself “Do I really want to waste my money on X?”. I know full well that if I succumb then I will snaffle it all sooner rather than later (I call it destroying the evidence!) and I will be annoyed with myself for the lack of self-control. Thankfully, after six months of BSD-ing, the cravings are much reduced and things are now more a question of choice rather than temptation.
    Well done on your weight & centimetre loss – keep it up.

Please log in or register to post a reply.