Coming off my meds

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Type3
    on

My Dr is … lukewarm, but I’m going to do the 800. How do I navigate coming off my meds? Anyone out there been through the process?
    I currently take:
    Four 500mg Metformin
    Two 80 mg Gliclazide
    One Simvastin 10mg
    One Januvia 100mg
    One Candesartan 4mg

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Type3 (does that mean something), you don’t say what your blood glucose readings are, or more accurate, your last HBA1c. You don’t seem to have actually started the diet so my advice would be to record your bloods and see how it goes. Most people on here have reduced metformin and I have reduced gliclazide from 90 to 60 because that is the drug that can cause hypos. My doctor insists I stay on the Simvastatin, at least until he sees my cholesterol go down a bit further (I am at 3.2) and he is adamant I should not stop my blood pressure tablets. I also take insulin and I am used to messing with it, go out for a meal add a couple of units, see my b/gs go down then reduce by a couple but on this diet I had a quick reduction in b/g (from 190 to 120 in 5 days) so started to reduce the insulin 2 units per night every other night until I am now on 26 (was on 37). Then the Gliclazide. Don’t try to do too much too quickly.

I would not advise you to mess with your drugs but I would advise that you take it slow and try to get your doctor on side by proving you have reduced your numbers and he will have to give you better guidance on the meds you are taking. When is your next HBA1c, when do you see your doctor again, you might have to make an interim appointment, also losing weight is a good sign that you are being serious and that might convince him. It is complicated.

• posted by Type3
    on

Hi,
    Thanks for your thoughtful reply, it’s much appreciated.

My aim is to be a Type3 – someone who was type2, but has ‘reversed’ their diabetes (normal blood sugar, no medication).

I’m awaiting the results of my latest HBA1c test, but based on self-testing every morning for the last few months hope/expect it to be below 8.

I’m planning to start my 8 weeks on Monday 26th of September — I’ve work and family commitments that would make it especially difficult before then and will then be able to take bit of time off to get through the first bit.

I think you are right about taking it slow. I’m used to self-testing and have developed a good sense of the relationship between a test result and how I feel.

I think reducing the gliclazide a bit fairly quickly is a good idea. From what I’ve read it’s the one most likely to cause a hypo.

Hopefully, if I can turn in some good, consistent, numbers over the coming weeks what to do about the other diabetes drugs will become apparent.

I’m sort of relaxed about the blood pressure and cholesterol medication for now. I’ll be monitoring both, but off one drug at a time!

I don’t hold out much hope for bringing my doctor round. She doesn’t strike me as a lady who is for turning, but I can use that as a motivation!

Anyone out there gone medication free from where I’m starting?

Sent from my iPhone

Please log in or register to post a reply.