Chinese restuarant treat,any ideas please?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Happyhols
    on

Ita soon my husbands birthday and we are having a little get together and he would like to go to our local chinese restaurant…..OMW! I havnt got a clue what is best to eat,your input would be gratefully appreciated…….
    I am into week 4 now if BSD and Im up one ound down one pound,it doesnt seem to be working for me at all (Im non diabetic but woukd like to lose14 lb) …but Im sticking with it because my husband who is diabetic has lost 4 lb( and he is a healthy weight and didnt really need to lose!) And the healthy eating can only be good….

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Chinese is a hard one.

I was out in Germany with clients last week and they took me out to their local (very good) Chinese for lunch. The lunch menu was lots of meats in sweetened or fruit sauces and ubiquitous rice, spring rolls and crackers.

I had a “Chinese” salad (it had beansprouts and bamboo!) with char siu pork to start and roast duck with stir-fired veg (only ginger, soy, chilli and sesame oil). I had a full plate, it looked good and no-one commented that I didn’t touch the rice. They did comment that I knocked back 1.5 litres of water, but I just joked that the food was a bit salty. Be wary that they don’t pile rice, spring rolls etc in big sharing plates as that can be very tempting.

The answer is probably to stick to roast meats or fish with veg. If you ask the staff are very willing to accommodate changes from the standard menu.

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi Happyhols, just came back from Chinese myself!! I found the best thing is the sang Choi bau ( pork mince, water chestnut etc that you wrap up in a lettuce leaf. Really tasty and filling and no rice needed. Usually an entree for me but on the BSD it’s a good sized meal. Anything sizzling or stir fried should also be safe. I love sizzling garlic beef Good luck!!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Choi Bau is a great shout.

The only watch out on some of the stir-fries is that they can have marinades/glazes/sauces that are quite “rich” in sugar.

I used to have a client in the US who made glazes for barbecued food and one small jar contained 175% of the RDA for sugars.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I had Thai food on the weekend and although I tried to be careful I’m sure there was a lot of sugar! I felt tired, headachy, and HUNGRY for the rest of the day and ended up eating a lot more than usual (stuck to Med friendly the rest of the day, just too much of it). BUT I was fine the next day, back on plan, and the day after that ended my plateau! So I think a little break from plan won’t do any hard, as long as it’s not too often. There should be plenty of options at a Chinese restaurant that are primarily meat and veges.

• posted by sunnydee
    on

I go for a chicken or shrimp omelette personally, and ask them to leave out the chips or rice.

• posted by marie123
    on

Sunnydee – I’m so glad you posted on here. I’ve never seen this thread before. I’ve sorted out what to have at an Indian restaurant, but I’ve not had a Chinese meal since before last August as I assumed I couldn’t have anything. Will have another look now. xx

• posted by Squidge
    on

Eating out in a Chineese restaurant is tricky, but it’s easy to make healthy stir fries at home. It’s just chopping and stirring! I also do Chow mien, without noodles obviously, but lots of beansprouts.

In a restaurant maybe you could ask for steamed chinese veg as your main dish, and then try a very little of what other people are having, without the rice or noodles. I’ve never heard of sang Choi bau but like the sound of it. If I go for a Chineese again I’ll look out for that.

• posted by marie123
    on

Thanks for the tips, Squidge xx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

I’d go for yuk sung which is pork mince wrapped in iceberg lettuce leaves and a side of stir fry veg and bean sprouts. 😁👍

• posted by marie123
    on

Kazz, really…, either a) you’ve made it up, b) you live down south, or c) I need to get out more

• posted by KazzUK
    on

LOL Marie! I kid you not! It does sound a bit dubious, doesn’t it? Lol! I’m in the Midlands! It’s also called pork mince lettuce wraps. You can do it with chicken too! Plenty of recipes on the web and on YouTube. I’d just leave out the tsp of sugar and add bean sprouts! It’s delicious! 😁

• posted by marie123
    on

That’s down south to me Kazz xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.