Cheating

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kingsizepea
    on

So I am on day 4 today of Michael Moseley 8 week Blood Sugar Diet. This has come about as after 3 months or so of weight lifting I have arrived at a point 12 weeks before my impending wedding at 20.5 stone. This is clearly unacceptable and although I don’t look much different than I ever did it’s too too heavy altogether.
    I have been in this position in the past although without the deadline of kilt fittings and the humiliation of the beach wedding with all my friends and family. It’s seemed like such a good idea at the time.
    In the past I can recall being 17 stone and after 18 weeks of weights I was 18 pounds heavier. After around the same time I would have to concede that I must have has a starting weight of around 19 stone. Oh dear! This is the heaviest I have ever been.
    I have in the past shed in the region of 3 stone in 10 weeks through abstinence and extreme walking plus yoga but this time I have to be even more drastic and to be honest I am reassured by Michael Moseley’s book that not only is this the correct thing to do but it’s ultimately a healthy thing to do. 800 calories a day doesn’t sound too healthy but after extensive reading I feel like I can do this guilt/fear free.
    I recently visited the Dr and was told to go and get bloods done for my usual Thyroid issues and also heart, cholesterol, sugars and liver. This wasn’t really a wake up call to be honest as it’s quite normal for someone complaining of anxiety and who consequently drinks too much.
    I have tried not drinking in the recent past but have failed due to anxiety but for some reason this time I have diligently stuck to 800 calories a day, abstained from alcohol, used only recipes from The Blood Sugar Diet book and have increased my daily walks to 10,000 again.
    Guess what? Day three I am 7 lbs down and this morning somehow overnight I am down another lb.
    8 lbs in three days. Is this normal?
    Well the simple answer is yes. I remember 10 years ago when I last stopped drinking I lost 9 lbs in 11 days. That was just by not drinking and going for a good walk everyday. Of course I kept it up for another 9 week and was 3 stone lighter by the end with a further 8lbs coming off over the following few weeks of just being good but not the monk I had been.
    So if it’s of any interest to anyone then I will outline my food diary so far.
    Day 1
    Breakfast: The yogurt with walnuts and apple juice soaked raisins
    Lunch: Home made lentil soup
    Dinner: The spicy chicken with green lentils

Day 2
    Breakfast: Same
    Lunch: Same
    Dinner: Mackerel Salad

Day 3
    Lunch: Half tin of Tuna and half a mackerel fillet with lettuce
    Dinner: Spicy Turkey Burger recipe

Day 4
    Lunch: Lentil soup
    Dinner: Spicy Turkey Burger recipe

Weight loss so far 8lbs!!

Week Two. (a bit of background)

Just started week two of the Blood Sugar Diet. It’s 1030am and I have already had my breakfast and lunch as I am so hungry. Last week didn’t go quite as planned and after cheating on the Thursday I went on to cheat Saturday and Sunday too. They weren’t the worst but not the plan.
    I did however go all day on Saturday with a 25 hour fast and walking 13,000 steps before breaking. I did’t have the appetite for either food or alcohol that I had expected. I had only 4 drinks and some small snacky bits.
    Sunday wasn’t the worst either. It was a carb free day with plenty activity. I had the usual breakfast, missed lunch and broke in the evening and had a carb free curry and almost two bottles of wine and a beer.
    I do feel guilty about it if I’m honest but I am treating the first week as a trial week and in all honesty I think I will be able to do this. This will be a 6 – 1 week at best as I have plans for Friday night.
    Then I will be knuckling down for the whole of the following week.
    So progress is unknown. I weighed in a few times over the week and lost 8 pounds in total but had put them all back on again by Saturday night. I am definitely thinner today however. I feel thinner and my face is certainly thinner. My jeans are falling off me and before I get too down on myself I have to remind myself that I just had a 4 day no drinking week and it’s been a while since that happened. I have also diligently walked my 10,000 steps and more all week.
    I’ll get there.
    Breakfast for the week will be the usual yogurt with raisins and walnuts etc
    Lunches will be spinach with half a mackerel fillet and half a tin of tuna
    Dinner for next couple of days at least will be Harissa Chicken as I have all the ingredients.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Have you tried drinking sparkling water? I won’t pretend it’s as nice as wine or beer, but I’ve found that drinking a few glasses of that in the evening helps me avoid alcohol when I want to cut down. Drinking lots of water is advised on this diet, so it’s worth a go.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi KingPea — warm congratulations on your upcoming wedding! It sounds very romantic on the beach, and here’s the thing — it will be perfect, even if you are not at the perfect weight on that day. Your friends and family will not even be thinking about your weight, they will be watching the smiles and the laughter and the joy and anticipating the champagne and the dancing or whatever else you have planned. These last few weeks of anticipation and getting ready to marry are lovely moments for you — maybe if you can, just put the critical part of your brain on hold. I think all the BSD folk can relate to that “super-critical brain” that just keeps accusing us of not being perfect — it leads us into mental black holes that really do some damage! I am sending happy excited wedding vibes to you — what beach will you be using for the ceremony? Is it special for personal reasons or just a beautiful place?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi KingSizePea – firstly, congrats on your upcoming nuptials, secondly I understand your desire to look as good as possible for this special event, but don’t put too much pressure on yourself, as this will almost certainly result in you sabotaging your weight loss progress, with alcohol and poor diet decisions.

You proved last week you can do this, so just focus on doing what you can whilst fitting the BSD into your life – we all have evenings out etc. and have to make the BSD fit in. Think carefully about your choices when you are out an about, applying the BSD principles as best you can and apply the rules more rigorously when you are in your normal environs.

There is value in weighing yourself daily, as there is evidence that people who weigh daily lose more weight. I find it motivating, as it helps to keep me focused regardless of whether the scales show a fall or increase. Celebrate every loss no matter how small and don’t allow negativity to hi-jack you when there are blips and increases.

Keep us posted on your progress and I wish you all the best for dropping the pounds you hope to, in time for the big day.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Have you seen someone about your anxiety? Self-medicating with alcohol is not a good long-term coping strategy for anyone, and that goes quintuple for people struggling with their weight. Drinking only compounds the anxiety. Zoloft is calorie and carb-free and actually combats anxiety instead of burying it under a buzz for a couple of hours.

Best of luck to you, and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Esnecca has a point KingSizePea. It’s worth trying some mindful exercises, to see if you can reduce your anxiety, which I’m sure isn’t helped by the extra pressures of an upcoming wedding. Even a few minutes of daily meditation could be helpful.

Please log in or register to post a reply.